Toyota Truck Driveshafts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone had any luck greasing the spline shafts and rear
axle CV u-joint with a non moly grease? Toyota calls for a
moly grease in the splines. My dealer said they use plain
grease with good luck.

05 tacoma, every 5,000 miles I grease using no. 2 PL-10 from MPC. Clsoe to 60k on the vech. I still have org U-joints.

Once my pl-10 dries up I plan on getting in some steelshield grease from george.

Might ask your dealer what plain grease is. I would bet it has moly in it and he does not know what he has. Have you seen the grease the dealer uses?

Use a 'Ford spec' grease which usually seems to have moly. If you're really worried maybe a CV joint grease ?

Last edited:
2003 Tundra 4WD Access-cab V-8, 138,000 miles
2008 Tacoma 4WD Regular-cab 4, 71,000 miles
I use Mystik JT-6 Hi-Temp. L/C #2 on all Tacoma zerks and the Tundra zerks EXCEPT on the middle joint on the double-Cardan and the slip-joint (nearest the rear differential). On those 2 Tundra zerks I use Ford-spec. Valvoline 3% Moly.
The Mystik far exceeds Toyota specs. & meets Spicer's universal joint requirements. Toyota specs. say Moly grease for those 2 particular zerks I mentioned earlier... those two, only.
I believe in following vehicle manufacturer recommendations to the letter when it comes to lubricants or grease, and in doing my own maintenance over the past 51 years, the only time that advice might have let me down a bit was when I used Ford spec. moly grease on a 4WD short wheelbase F-150...the vehicle had not been lifted, but, nevertheless the rear driveshaft angles were so 'steep,' that it wore out even Spicer universals way too often...even a heavy-duty non-moly lithium complex grease might not have helped u-joints on those SWB F-150's of those particular years.
If you wish to use only one grease on your Toyota's universals, I'd suggest either my choice (the Mystik) OR the Mobil-1 pdxyota uses would prove to be quite satisfactory.

Ford is the only manufacturer to my knowledge to specify Moly for universals. Not GM; not Dodge; not Toyota. You will find grease experts (the late George Morrison being far from the only one) to say NOT to use grease containing moly. What I've never found is a true grease expert who says to use ONLY grease containing moly for universals. I have personally had universals fail (interestingly enough, on a Ford pickup) when using a Ford spec. moly grease, so I do not use moly annotized grease for either universals nor wheel bearings. I DO use moly for suspension ball joints, king pins, slip joints, etc.
So, would Valvoline moly work well for you? Probably. I think that grease meets NLGI's GC-LB requirements...But, maybe not.

We use Chevron Delo EP # 2 on everything from light weight racecars to big heavy equipment used to prepare the dirt race track they race on. Never every any problems and it works really well.

Originally Posted By: SargeBB
Ford is the only manufacturer to my knowledge to specify Moly for universals. Not GM; not Dodge; not Toyota. You will find grease experts (the late George Morrison being far from the only one) to say NOT to use grease containing moly. What I've never found is a true grease expert who says to use ONLY grease containing moly for universals. I have personally had universals fail (interestingly enough, on a Ford pickup) when using a Ford spec. moly grease, so I do not use moly annotized grease for either universals nor wheel bearings. I DO use moly for suspension ball joints, king pins, slip joints, etc.
So, would Valvoline moly work well for you? Probably. I think that grease meets NLGI's GC-LB requirements...But, maybe not.

CAT specify their 5% MoS2 greases for unis and roller bearings.
They claim the platelet size is critical, hence why their version works
wink.gif

FWIW I've never had an issue in thirty years of use.

Rick long time since I have seen you post on the forums. I bought a Dolmar build saw you have always been fond of, and I see why!

I consider myself a good backyard mechanic, but no chemist. I don't understand why no moly on a universal arguments. I just did the rear end on an ATV and packed the pivot joint bearings in
Valvoline Synpower Moly. I said screw it and hit the U joint in the drive shaft with it on reassembly. Too lazy to go get my other tub of grease. I have read where it can make ball bearings slip, but what harm does it have on a U Joint and splines? Take care.

Last edited:
Cheers mate, it has been a while.

Mola always recommended MoS2, it's all I've ever used on many, many vehicles over nearly thirty years (mostly plain Jane Castrol LMM, Li complex, 3% Moly) and now use CAT Desert Gold for all my chassis lube/drivelines.
As I mentioned above, if CAT reckons it's ok on all their equipment, it's good enough for me.

Having said that, I can't remember who it was now but a regular on here (back in the old days) specced MoS2 on uni's used in a big mining operation and they all failed spectacularly, so he was bitten and chastened pretty badly.

I still post over on AS a bit, but mostly keep to the Aussie Dribble thread in the stickies and yep, I like my Dolmak saws. Also pretty fond of the orange one's Sawtroll likes too
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back