Amsoil & B. Unser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not matter what one thinks of Amsoil's marketing, you have to respect Al for bringing synthetics to the consumer market and dedication to quality. Sounds g@y but it's true.
grin2.gif

Reminds one of Britney Spears being photographed by paparazzi with a Coca-Cola in her hand while she was under contract to Pepsi. Except Unser didn't get caught! He must have spent to much of his 401k so now he has to go back and re-endorse a product he may or may not have used. Whatever, I don't buy it because it'd be different if he was telling his son or a few close friends but the fact that he's making bucks off of this is a bit fishy.

Now he can afford a new set of clubs and an exclusive country club membership. [censored], I don't blame him!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny
I bet Valvoline loves that statement.

I was thinking the same. It's not true today though as most cars use R&D blends.

Quote:
Whatever, I don't buy it because it'd be different if he was telling his son or a few close friends but the fact that he's making bucks off of this is a bit fishy.

Believe it, why would he want to lie about that?

Thats an excerpt from the DVD "Albert J. Amatuzio: An American Success Story Documentary

Thanks for posting that buster - I really don't think he is lying and people always wonder were those statements come from. I mean it's one thing to have a sponsor and use a different product - this happens, but to stand in front up in front of the camera now and give the details smacks of the truth to me.

Cool story...I have a cousin that used to work for Klotz Oil in their sales department & he told me a lot of teams in Indy run on Klotz, even if they were sponsored by a different motor oil. Klotz's only identification on the car would be a small decal. After he told me this, I'd hang around Gasoline Alley on practice days & watch them wheel the cars in & out and sure enough, most of them had a small Klotz decal tacked on the car. I found a prime example of this on a car Mark Dismore drove a few years ago sponsored by Valvoline. You can barely see the Klotz decal to the left of the Champion decal on the sidepod. According to Klotz's website, every car entered in the 500 the past 3 years had their oil in it.
dismor01.jpg

Last edited:
I could not find that on their website, but maybe I did not look in the right place. I would be willing to bet money that Penske does not use anything but Mobil 1 in his race cars. As for as Bobby Unser, maybe he did, maybe he didn't. Personally that's one of the Unser's I never liked.

Just because your getting paid to advertise a product on your race car doesn't mean you have to actually use it.

Quote:
Doug Yates builds all the Roush engines, and he told us that they use a
special blend from Shell that is made just for their engines. I don't
know of any legitimate NASCAR Team that uses anything but our oil,
Valvoline R&D Racing Blend, Mobil R&D Racing Blend or the Shell R&D Racing
Blend. By the way, Roush is sponsored by Valvoline, so I doubt they
gave any other company the go ahead to use their name in conjunction with
selling a competing brand of oil.

Thanks,
Lake

This is from Lake, former Nascar driver now with Joe Gibb's Racing.

Originally Posted By: XPR
Just because your getting paid to advertise a product on your race car doesn't mean you have to actually use it.

Well, I can't speak for other oil companies, but I can speak for Shell (Pennzoil - Quaker State). When the contract is written for the big bucks, it states in that contract that the car will use engine oil, transmission oil, and differential fluids made by Shell. Period. There is no wiggle room at all.

Then how do say NASCAR's work when the oil company sponsors the car yet the official oil is Mobil 1?

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I could not find that on their website, but maybe I did not look in the right place. I would be willing to bet money that Penske does not use anything but Mobil 1 in his race cars. As for as Bobby Unser, maybe he did, maybe he didn't. Personally that's one of the Unser's I never liked.

I stand corrected...All cars in the last three Indy 500s used their "Uplon Fuel Lube".

Originally Posted By: XPR
Then how do say NASCAR's work when the oil company sponsors the car yet the official oil is Mobil 1?

Mobil 1 (Exxon/Mobil) is paying NASCAR advertising rights to be named the official motor oil of NASCAR. Kind of like Budwiser sponsoring the super bowl. Does not mean they have to sell Bud at the ballpark.

What Mobil 1 gets for their money is the right to make that claim, and all advertising rights associated with the NASCAR name. They cannot tell the car owners what brand oil to use unless they are paying that car owner, like Penske. To give you another example, last year it was called Nextel Cup and this year it's the Sprint Cup, but Childress has a car that is sponsored by AT&T.

Alright, alright, alright... I run Amsoil in my car. I thank it's great. Good gas mileage, smooth cold starts and all. Just that I don't see how Valvoline couldn't come up with a product that could have done the same thangs if he'd asked them to. Nah mean! Anyways, I have a psychic feeling about the truth contained in the video. So I am out. Refuse to comment anymore on this topic.

I'll bet that you could become the official mini-pad for NASCAR. Just sign up and start making payments. The deciding factor for an official NASCAR product is the quality of your credit, not your product. I'm sure there are some products that they would turn down but if you wanted your paper clip to be the official paper clip of NASCAR I'll bet it could be arranged. So when you see Mobil 1 banners all over the place don't get worried if you're using Pennzoil Platinum. It's ok.

In 2003, 74% were using Mobil 1 in nascar. That was an official number put out by XOM. Now Mobil says 50%. They also said they don't pay anyone to use their oil. Other teams use oils from Shell/QS etc that are custom blended. The guy in the quote I posted above would know.

Originally Posted By: buster
The guy in the quote I posted above would know.

He has been called to the carpet more than once. I would not take his word as gospel.

While not to question Johnny's knowledge of Shell's contracts I am certain that some race teams use other oils in their rear ends on race day that are not blended by their flagship sponsor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back