Interstate Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a 24F sized battery for a late model Acura. CR rated the Interstate Mega-Tron Plus 24F as their #1 battery.

The local Interstate battery distributor is willing to sell me the battery for $79.99. Suggested retail is $99.95. Is this a decent price?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I paid about that much for an Interstate for my Cherokee about 4 years ago. It's been a great battery so far, and still has over 80% of it's charge, I think....

Autocraft from Advance Auto seems to be a good brand of battery.

i believe they are made by Johnson Controls which also makes the Interstate and Motorcraft batteries

If I were to buy an Interstate battery $25 the warrenty wouldnt matter. I prefer batteries from big chain stores where they are easy to find should the warranty have to be used. Around town where you know all the dealers that you could get warranty service they are fine, but if my battery goes while traveling, I wouldnt want the extra worry of finding a dealer just to exchange a battery. For $25 on a 3 month old Johnson Controls battery would be hard to beat despite the warranty.

That's a good price on a good battery. Working at a GM dealer, we sell Delco and Interstate. The Interstate is less, has a better warranty.

I see from their ads that they now have AA's, D's, ect also.

The Autocraft batteries at AAP are very good, very reliable batteries. Made by Johnson Controls. The price is fair at AAP plus they have free installation if you need it. You just don't want battery that has been sitting on the shelf more than 3 months. The Autocrafts have a sticker on top with the date of manufacture. I have heard Interstate uses an acid that is "too hot" for use in a car battery which might be detrimental to the battery or car in the long run.

Interstate makes some good batteries. I would trust CU to rate batteries in a fair manner, they have been doing that for years.

However that does not mean Interstate has the best battery in every size or price range.

But also do not worry about who makes a particular battery. Any company can make any quality of a battery to spec. And company XX could make batteries for Sears or Interstate in East coast and company YY on the West coast. Buy the brand you want and forget about who makes the actual battery.

Well.. This is My First Post, As I just found the Forum, And it is Awesome! as the Info. Avail.*About Batteries, Interstate and Delco are the Ones I have the best Track record with.. Although I have a 2001 Ford Focus with the original batt in it, I can't believe it's Still cranking the car, BTY; Who makes the Delco's, Mororcraft, and Sears batts, Thanks, Guys,

panasonic batteries have been the best ones Ive seen... good luck finding them.

Ive had good luck with the autozone batteries in the group 49 size, not sure how others compare.

From what I recall looking at CR battery analysis sometime back, was that though a company has a great battery in one size, another might not be all that good. Delco, IIRC, had the most batteries consistently across the top two or three, in all of the various sizes.

JMH

Have never cared much for Iterstate personally. Wouldn't sell them. Used to have plates that were only 3/4 length of industry standard, with "hotter" acid than industry standard to keep amps up.

Bob

well Motorcraft is indeed one helluva battery.

my mother's 99 Mercury and my dad's 98 F150 still have the original Motorcraft batteries,

surviving that many Wisconsin Winters definitely gives them a good rep.

iirc, ConsumerReports once said that the only battery that put out the cold cranking amps on the label was the Wally World brand. I don't remember which one that was though.

Originally Posted By: Throckmorton
iirc, ConsumerReports once said that the only battery that put out the cold cranking amps on the label was the Wally World brand. I don't remember which one that was though.

Don't think you actually do recall correctly. CCA is an industry wide standard rated at 0deg f. Wally world, for years put ONLY CA (cranking amps), something they pulled out of their arse, rated at 32deg f. Now all the battery brands have CA also, just do consumer can compare apples to apples.

Bob

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Delco, IIRC, had the most batteries consistently across the top two or three, in all of the various sizes.

Delphi's battery business has been assimilated by Johnson Controls, which makes Interstate, Motorcaft, Autozone Duralast, Advance Auto Autocraft, Costco Kirkland Signature, among others.

As a result, most AC Delco batteries are now made by Johnson Controls and physically identical to Johnson Controls batteries sold under other brand names.

I never thought I'd see an AC Delco battery with removeable vent caps.

Incidentally, all these Johnson Controls batteries are generally available in 3 performance levels, good, better, and best, with the best warranties and CCA ratings on the most expensive batteries. (The exception to this is some of the less popular group sizes like the Euro group 40R/47/48/49 batteries, which are available in only one CCA rating).

Interestingly, Costco sells the "best" Johnson Controls batteries with a 3-year free replacement warranty for about the same price as most other places sell the "good" battery with an 18-month free replacement warranty, around $50-$60 depending on group size. They don't even seel the "good" or "better" batteries.

Last edited:
A top-dollar battery in a climate where it doesn't even get below freezing? I would just get whatever had removable caps that was on sale for $45, like the Exide I got at Kragens.

Live for awhile in the southwest US and you soon learn that it's heat that will kill a battery.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: rriddle3
Live for awhile in the southwest US and you soon learn that it's heat that will kill a battery.
grin2.gif

Indeed. I had a battery distributor tell me that the high CCA batteries could actually be bad in hot weather climates because they have less fluid and more plates (to make the CCA)and this shortens life.
21.gif

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back