2004 Impala - Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! I just bought a 2004 Chevrolet Impala (9C1 police package) with 81k miles on it. It has the GM 3800 Series II (L36 N/A) engine. Since the car was bought from an auction I have no idea what kind of oil was used in it previously. I was thinking about switching to synthetic motor oil. Any suggestions for the brand of synthetic oil to use in the car? Is it even a good idea to switch to synthetic? I do about 50% city/50% highway driving.

The L36 isn't picky about oil at all. You should be good with anything you choose. I run GC in mine, ran Mobil1 before that. Switching to synthetic should be fine, but it may start leaking a little if it's not already, the valve covers in these things tend to do that after a while; easy to replace, though.

GM 3800 Series II

One of GM's best engines. It will last forever despite what oil you use. If you want a good synthetic at a good price look for Pennzoil Platinum. Any conventional will do fine as well.
cool.gif

Engine is almost bullet proof.
Might try a cheap syn oil and a short interval as a start.
Super-tech syn is priced low and it's a decent syn.for 3000 miles.
Then go with a brand name syn and 6000 mile changes.
Since it's cold there, 5W-30 should do you.
Not sure when the 3800 changed from 10W to 5W, but I've ran 5W-30 during the winters in my first three 3800s.
05 and up call for 5W year round.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back