What are the oil capacities for Peterbilt Trucks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our trucks 40-44 quarts. Cummins L-10, M-11, N-14 and ISX.

The Volvo engines hold 42 quarts.

Different oil pan sump locations and by-pass filter setups make it nearly impossible to have the same capacity in every brand of truck. Rule of thumb here is 40 quarts, then stick and see if it's full. The new EGR engines have plastic oil pans. We've had some drain plug problems with these. The EGR systems are also a major concern.

Change interval of 30,000 miles, Shell Rimula 15w-40.

Series 60 Detroit Peterbuilt & Freightliner tractors I drove (late '80s-early 90's models) took 44 qts... Volume between 'low' and 'high' on dipstick was one GALLON (imagine my surprise when adding a quart didn't have the expected results
55.gif
).

Dave

Pablo, How do oci's compair when using dino or amsoil in big rigs. Tractors at my shop go 15k-25k on delvac 15w40, how long could these trucks go with ame amsoil without bypass filters?

Hi,
the answers on sump capacity have been eloquently and accurately given by others in here but I can answer regarding OCIs

Stroker444 - Depending on use, the engine family involved and the lubricant's specification, (and using UOAs) these general figures will give you an insight (similar Approvals and specification in each case)

1 - Manufacturer Approved mineral lubricants (HDEO 15w-40) can typically go about 50% beyond "normal" baseline OC point

2 - Manufacturer Approved semi-synthetic (Group 3) (HDEO 15w-40) will typically go to double the baseline and perhaps a little more

3 - Manufacturer Approved synthetic (Group 3/4/5) (HDEO 5w-40)
will typically go to 120% of the baseline

That said, typically the main issue in condemning a lubricant in these engines is usually the soot level and in many lubricants in both types 1 & 2 above, a significant "out of range" regarding viscosity. Sometimes it is also the iron level (usually around 150ppm)

Some lubricants of type 3) above handle soot better than all the others

Some brands in 1) above such as Delvac, Delo and Rotella/Rimula have quite amazing abilities in keeping engines clean and ensuring a long life. This has been the way for at least 50 years or so

You mention Delvac 1300 15w-40. It is really a hidden gem in soot control. Many years ago I ran comparative tests of four lubricants in the Southern Alps of NZ and this was the star performer even then. The vehicles were high utililisation 24/7 Dozers and Scrapers

In Linehaul/Interstate trucking the positive economics in using a full synthetic lubricant only accrue in extending the OCI via UOAs. It simply becomes an economics issue including any upside in vehicle availability of course

Using the likes of a centrigfuge oil cleaner (as distinct from a cartridge type by-pass filter) and a first class synthetic lubricant from a Major Oil Company it is possible to regularly extend out to six or seven times the engine manufacturer's recommended OCI

Regards
Doug

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Thanks for the info guys!
smile.gif

How far do some of these trucks normally go on an oil change interval?

at this fleet....roughly 40,000 miles

my uncle in his pete, only runs his oil out to 10,000 miles, because of personal preference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back