5W30 vs 5W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the first run with 5W40 Syntec in my wifes 97 Jetta 2.0L. Today i did a little routine maintenance and noticed some white build up under the oil cap. There's no head gasket issues because the car isn't losing any coolant. Her commute is 15 miles one way to work, mainly freeway. Im thinking its mainly condensation that's not burning off. Anyway would running 5W30 get the oil temp up faster than 5W40? The car has a wide range of oil grades to use.

I doubt it would. I'd continue using the 5w-40 personally as people say the VW 2.0 likes a thicker oil. I have the milkshake under my oil cap as well from short trip and extreme cold weather. Adding cardboard in front of my rad has helped a lot - much faster warmup and it runs warmer overall per my infrared temp gun.

Last edited:
white has to do with cooler temperatures condensing a bit. Common in my BMW, which gets short drives like that.

The differences in oil heat up time are tiny at best. Bettr would be to take it on a long nice drive once in a while.

JMH

I would bet those 15 miles freeway are in congestive traffic. That engine needs to see some longer spells at maximum highway speeds more often.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Adding cardboard in front of my rad has helped a lot...

Ditto. It's a free, effective solution.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I doubt it would. I'd continue using the 5w-40 personally as people say the VW 2.0 likes a thicker oil. I have the milkshake under my oil cap as well from short trip and extreme cold weather. Adding cardboard in front of my rad has helped a lot - much faster warmup and it runs warmer overall per my infrared temp gun.

Yea im sticking with this grade or may try some GC...when i changed out the PCV it looked like a clogged artery with this white crud.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
I would bet those 15 miles freeway are in congestive traffic. That engine needs to see some longer spells at maximum highway speeds more often.

No...she drives in no traffic going to work but alittle comming home. This summer im giving auto rx a try in both cars, do you think this may help get rid of some of that white crud?

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
You're in Texas. I would stay with the 5W-40.

Im debating if i should stick with this oil or go with GC.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
No...she drives in no traffic going to work but alittle comming home. This summer im giving auto rx a try in both cars, do you think this may help get rid of some of that white crud?

No, I don't think it will get rid of that crud if it's an oil/water emulsion. More heat is what's needed.

Originally Posted By: JAG
No, I don't think it will get rid of that crud if it's an oil/water emulsion. More heat is what's needed.

Thanks Jag.

I would stay with the 5W-40. I use delvac 1 5W-40. Were problem is short run times. If you take it out on the highway once a week or every two weeks. That should stop the build up and an oil change or two whats in it now should be gone. My 95 geo metro had that issue to. I am running mobil 1 europe blend 0W-40, and i started taking out for an hour drive a week. That was 3,500 miles ago and the cap and valve cover are clean.

15 miles seems like plenty of time to warm the car up. Are you sure you don't have a slightly sticky thermostat? I have seen this where yes the temp gauge will register some warming, but a new 'stat allows a tighter close for longer (not prematurely opening) and quicker hotter warm up.

The only time I would say go with a XW-30 would be a HDEO 30 for just a temporary clean/flush to get all the water emulsified oil out. You may want to consider this for 500-1000 miles.

Quote:
15 miles seems like plenty of time to warm the car up.

I agree with Pablo. More than enough time/mileage. Check the thermostat ..check the PCV system.

If you've got one of these

W01331620950JLB.JPG

...then the oil temp should be pushing around 100C within 9 miles/9 minutes.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
15 miles seems like plenty of time to warm the car up. Are you sure you don't have a slightly sticky thermostat? I have seen this where yes the temp gauge will register some warming, but a new 'stat allows a tighter close for longer (not prematurely opening) and quicker hotter warm up.

The only time I would say go with a XW-30 would be a HDEO 30 for just a temporary clean/flush to get all the water emulsified oil out. You may want to consider this for 500-1000 miles.

Thanks Pablo,
The tsat is original and the water temp seems to climb faily quickly. We drove it all day yesterday and the white stuff went away.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Quote:
15 miles seems like plenty of time to warm the car up.

I agree with Pablo. More than enough time/mileage. Check the thermostat ..check the PCV system.

If you've got one of these

W01331620950JLB.JPG

...then the oil temp should be pushing around 100C within 9 miles/9 minutes.

Thanks Gary,
I replaced the PCV yesterday and i couldnt beleave how nasty it looked...today i went and checked under the oil cap again and it was nice and clean after driving it all day yesterday.

Dyoel, the item in the photo is a water/oil heat exchanger (AKA oil cooler)common to a host of VW/Audi motors. They are highly efficient. Coolant from the cold side of the radiator runs through the two small 'tubes.' The 'box' is sandwiched between the block and the oil filter. The oil circulates through the heat exchanger from the engine and back to the pan.

On another issue.... IME, the oil may not get up to 100C when the ambient temp is down in the 40s/50s on short(er) drives. I've checked my oil temp in my 1.8T Beetle after a 7-8 mile run to town; some stop/go; short stops; and a run home at 55 - 65+ mph and the oil temp in the pan is about 145F. I think the radiator so effective so it really puts out some 'cold' coolant on the cool side in cold weather. The heat exchanger is really efficient as well, so it too will suck a lot of heat out of the oil.

ARB: The problem, as you've found out, is the PCV valve. They can wear out and that's the most likely cause of 'custard' on the oil cap.

ARB stick with the 5W-40 A2/A3 or a 5W-30 A5 oil. Yes, VW recommends 5W-40 but the new ACEA standard A5 and VW standards should cover the change to a lower viscosity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back