street oiladditives for race built motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ

A friend has a Chevelle with a built 355, low tension rings high compression 7000rpms. Has a roller cam so no need to worry about flat tappets wanting ZDDP. He is VERY good with a carb so the usual carbed fuel dilution should not be a big issue. Is a street/strip car, he will put a few thousand miles on it in fair weather.

My concerns here are something to cope with the blowby he will get from the low tension rings and maybe keeping the rings clean so they have the best chance to seal.

I was thinking a diesel oil like the readily available Delvac or Rotella 15w-40? He prefers to be able to just go to the parts store and buy but I might be able to talk him into something like Shaeffers purches in moderate bulk. Or is this a case like the LT1s and LS1s where GC 0w-30 is the ticket?

I have used AutoRX to clean my engines, think it would be of benifit here to keep the rings clean?

Or would it be better to use something like Lube Contyrol to help the oil deal better with the effects of the blowby?

I would think a low vis like a 5/20 or a 5/30 would be good to keep rings from "floating' on a oil film to reduce blow bye but maybe thats wrong.
bruce

Originally Posted By: bruce381
I would think a low vis like a 5/20 or a 5/30 would be good to keep rings from "floating' on a oil film to reduce blow bye but maybe thats wrong.
bruce

This is exactly the reason I posted. That is a good point on using something thinner to accomodate the rings.
Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Brad Penn Penn Grade 1 10w-30 or 20w-50 "The Green Oil" No need for any additives. Plenty of ZDDP and Phosphorous right out of the bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back