First results of an Auto-Rx experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you master Obiwan. Perhaps when the rinse phase is finished, and I am stronger in the force.
grin2.gif

Here's Dan's 2nd UOA after the rinse. Substantial decreases in elements and other co-benefits here. He's still got fuel issues ..but what can one expect for OEM 200k injectors
21.gif

2nd UOA

I disagree with the opinion that AutoRx is a niche product because of lack of instant gratification. It is the current "involved" protocol that is the hindrance. If not true than we would not be having this discussion and AutoRx would be readily available OTC

As I have stated many times, it is hard enough to get people to change oil 3-5,000 miles. To ask them to change out oil earlier than that is a non starter. I just will never happen
in numbers above so called "niche".market.

The product should be made to stay in the engine during cleaning phase 3-5,000 + miles. The same 3-5,000+ miles for the rinse phase."Normal" OCI's for most people.. Otherwise you have the majority of people thinking they are getting ripped off by a quick change lube place that would be pushing AutoRx. For do it yourselfers the same thought. Or just to much hassle as well as a waste of oil, and money.

Maybe Frank can make one version for BBITOG type folks, and another longer drain interval version for the masses?

No charge for the ideas.....

Sure ARx has a Niche market, I'm not sure how the numbers would break down, but I would see it like this;
A) People that buy a new car, get it serviced at the Dealer, and Trade before the warranty runs out.
B) People that don't do anything, or 'Maybe' get the oil changed if they think of it, or in desperation if the car is causing problems.
C)People that service the car 'Just the way Dad used to' "Nothing but Penzoline GTX every 3,000 miles and a Flush with Diesel oil" They won't try anything new!
D)People that will buy (and proberbly misuse) any junk they can lay their hands on. They don't know anything about engines, but have good intentions, and like that Warm Fuzzy feeling.
E)People that will only buy over the counter, or from someone they trust.
The list could go on and on.
But What ARx IS, and how it's used (and SOLD) puts it in a Niche
To my mind the best bet would be to sell it as an 'Add on' at Lube outlets; Oil, Treatment AND a Coupon for a follow-up flush.

By the way, What's so special about the 3k and 2.5k follow-up?
I could do 3k in a few days OR in 6 months surly that makes a differance!

Hey Spitty. Have you used Auto-Rx? What was your experience like. Did you think that Auto-Rx was worth the expense and trouble? Would you use it again or recommend it to your friends. And was your Canadian distributer helpful and did he answer your questions.

The biggest problem with Auto-Rx is that it works and is often grouped together with oil additives that don't do much of anything.

I'm working with Lonnie on some testing with Auto-Rx at a different dose rate. These tests will include compression testing and tail pipe emission testing. Having a uoa or better several uoa's is useful but your car in some states has to pass a smog test. In our testing it looks like Auto-Rx and be a diagnostic tool. If Auto-Rx won't clean things up, improve compression or at least even-it-up then you might want to consider not putting any more work and money into it and move on. The problems may be beyond gunk and be acutal mechanical damage or wear beyond the value of the car.

Back to the does rate. We are using two bottles and a 1k miles clean phase and two 1k clean phases. The reason for two quick cycles is this new dose if for engines that are really gunked up. Most of the work of Auto-Rx is done in the rinse phase with the Auto-Rx has been drained out. This will get an engine cleaned up in 3k miles. I know it's a hassle getting three oil changes in short order but there is no free ride when you are dealing with a sludger. Short cuts are either dangerous or ineffictive.

This will be my last post here, for the second time Frank (ARx owner ans site sponsor) has told me "I'm not in the game" I take that to mean my comments are not welcome here, Although I have never said anything derogatory about ARx, and have only tried to be helpful. (was my question about Time v mileage not valid?)
To be honest, I don't get it!
My experiance (mostly) is related in the ARx in Canada Thread, you can see it there. As I suggested in the thread, it sounds like ARx is a reputable product, But I will not be using it as I feel my engine needs more attention than just cleaning, and spending (in my case $60+) for two bottles of ARX would amount to throwing good money away on an engine that will need an overhaul anyway.
Good Bye.

Last edited:
Shoot- if Spitty actually lives on Vancouver Island- that sure isn't far at all from where I live, and I still have most of that case of Auto-Rx I bought last year. I don't believe it would be unethical for me to sell two bottles of it to him at cost if he wanted to purchase it, on a one-time basis, now would it? Just a thought...

Ethics can sometimes be rather complex. My intent (obviously) with my suggestion is to possibly provide someone an opportunity to obtain a certain product with no intention whatsoever of stealing anyone else's bread and butter (hence the one-time-only offer). I make a pretty good living at what I do and some folks make their living via sales. One does have to consider the potential impact on others.

If Bakerman & Lonnie are spot on I would keep that Auto-Rx. A lot of your neighbors drive sludgemobiles and these guys have come up with a very interesting application.

Well, Spitty, I won't kick you in the side here
grin2.gif
It's just that many find it hard to figure the objection to $60 with the potential gains. Many of us are tightwads in measuring things of scale here on certain items. Most of us manage to save $1000's in DIY mode ..yet acknowledge that you can't hit any repair shop for even the most minor of needs without topping $100 for next to nothing. Most of us are wondering how you can resist trying it out of curiosity (most of us aren't here on BITOG because we have no interest in such matters) ..which is why you're probably seeing some of the "are you kidding me?" type responses.

If I was in a better financial disposition in terms of disposable cash, I'd have Frank send you two bottles just so you could find out. I'd be curious to see if you can justify a tear down and rebuild after you did either two conventional treatments or one of the heavy dose experiments that myself and a few others have tried with excellent success.

I do admire your willingness to regard an engine rebuild as I would a brake job. You're obviously not lazy (I like to call myself an "efficiency expert"
grin2.gif
), but even you must surely not enjoy toil for toil's sake (some do
21.gif
)

As far as time vs. mileage, I would imagine that some fuel component would work ..much like an hour meter would for a stationary installation. I'm of the impression that it requires so many circulation cycles "at temp" (probably) to be most effective. Fuel usage tends to take most operational conditions into account.

Originally Posted By: Crashbox
Shoot- if Spitty actually lives on Vancouver Island- that sure isn't far at all from where I live, and I still have most of that case of Auto-Rx I bought last year. I don't believe it would be unethical for me to sell two bottles of it to him at cost if he wanted to purchase it, on a one-time basis, now would it? Just a thought...

Offer it to him. One case given away (if that's what you wanted to do) isn't going to shake up the recurring sales of any product. It's yours to do with as you please unless you entered into some advertising agreement with Frank. I run into this all the time. Jeg's ...Summitracing. They are all bound by ADVERTISING limits by the producers. They can sell it for less ..but most people don't think to ask.

Since you're not aware of any such limits, I can assume that no such agreement exists between you and Frank. Heck, give him two bottles to check out ..and tell him he can pay you if he feels it was worth the (some pre-expressed) suggested value. He may help, through word of mouth, dispose of the remainder of your case in sales inquiries.

I was only offering to sell *two* (2) bottles to Spitty out of my stash, no more, no less (he'd have to come to Lynden to get it also). No way would I ever want to unload the stuff, ARX works and works very well indeed. I intend to keep the rest of my case. I do not know why anyone thought otherwise...

Take a hit for the team, pal!!
grin2.gif
It's all part of the BITOG experience.

I'd do it for you. Where's the love
frown.gif

grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back