Will higher octane result in a cleaner engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah..they got the ol' raised eyebrow but I wasn't going to argue with such a clearly ignorant statement. I just wanted out of there before they tried to sell me synthetic taillight fluid.

In my motocross racing days there was a big differance on the piston domes from running pump 93 to vp c-12 112 octane leaded race fuel. The race fuel kept the domes just a shade darker than a brand new piston and the ones run on pump 93 had carbon deposits all over them. Just my speculation.

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
Simply put, 10 to 15 percent of consumers may be unnecessarily pumping premium fuel into vehicles that don't need it.

So, does that mean that 85-90% are experiencing some improvement by using premium gas?

No, the other 85-90% are using "Regular" unleaded in vehicles that specify 87 octane. I spoke to the manager of a high volume Mobil station that I frequent and asked him how much Regular vs Premium gets pumped. Answer was about 20-1. At lower volume stations, I wonder how old the premium gas in the storage tanks is.

Drew

Last edited:
ROFLMFAO!
39.gif

Originally Posted By: CBDFrontier06
Here's a funny one for ya. The sales staff at a Ford dealer in Dallas told me NOT to run premium unleaded in my brand new 97 Ranger 2.3 because....get this....it could eat a hole in the gas tank. Not because it wasn't recommended...not because it wouldn't help anything...but because they've had people come back with leaking gas tanks that they're blaming on premium fuel.

I did it anyway...really helped with the knock.

My Saab manual states I can use 87 but for best performance use 93. I noticed my car idles smoother and holds boost much better when I use 94 over 91 and My butt dyno feels a bit more power with the 94. My Saab has anti-knock sensors and the ECU will adjust timing and boost based on the knock sensor and fuel grade.

Whenever I use premium in my Mazda, there is no significant performance gain, but the added engine smoothness is an absolute. I use 93 just to switch things up from time to time, but I always wonder about any extra carbon buildup. Mazda recommends 87 or greater for my vehicle. The concensus on the Mazda forum I frequent is that premium is harmful. Any truth in that?

It seems to me that if a car cannot adjust to the higher octane, then the combustion will be incomplete, resulting in dirty deposits, dirty oil, wasted $$$.

It seems to me that while some cars benefit from higher octane, many others do not.

Originally Posted By: lovcom
It seems to me that if a car cannot adjust to the higher octane, then the combustion will be incomplete, resulting in dirty deposits, dirty oil, wasted $$$.

It seems to me that the same myth gets repeated over and over.

Octane doesn't tell you anything about the completeness of the burn.

Octane additives delay the flame propagation does it not?
I've seen engines that have run premium that pinged when going back to regular. After a 'clean out', with mouse milk or an Italian Tune-up, the engine runs well on regular again.

Same engine with no premium use doesn't ping on regular.
Same state of tune, similar use/mileage.

Nope, they stop the fuel from spontaneously igniting, typically in the "end gas" region (the bit away from the spark plug, where the fuel/air gets hotter due to the increase in chamber pressure during combustion and can auto-ignite).

It's a shame that we can't stratify the octane across the cylinder. Need very little near the plug, and the most further away from the plug.

Who said octane tells one about the completeness of the burn? Did I miss something here? I never said that. If the spark is not timed properly, the gasoline is not going to burn completly, thereby introducing dilution issues, incomplete burn, deposits, shoot perhaps.

This is no myth. ;-)

Yes it is.

set fire to a jar of regular, and a jar of premium. The premium won't leave a half jar of deposits due to an "incomplete burn".

If the engine can't adjust to the better fuel, it will simply not obtain any advantage by using it. It will NOT end up "resulting in dirty deposits, dirty oil"...that's the myth (along with increased chamber deposits)

Originally Posted By: Shannow
...set fire to a jar of regular, and a jar of premium...

Please don't do this. See the "Don't exam me, bro!" thread.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Yes it is.

set fire to a jar of regular, and a jar of premium. The premium won't leave a half jar of deposits due to an "incomplete burn".

If the engine can't adjust to the better fuel, it will simply not obtain any advantage by using it. It will NOT end up "resulting in dirty deposits, dirty oil"...that's the myth (along with increased chamber deposits)

My speculation for the continuation of the myth is from the heavily leaded fuel days. Those who played with AV fuels and whatnot would get very heavy deposits on valves and whatnot that turned into "burnt valves" in a misnomer of their condition. They would have tons more in deposits ..which would, in turn, cause more detonation due to either higher compression ..or heat retention (glowing deposits). This would lead to a few blowing holes in pistons ..hence, "It melted my engine".

This has nothing to do with the resistance to (unintended) ignition or the resistance of flame front fragmentation in flame front propagation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back