Need thoughts on Royal Purple, MB1 and Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys,
New to site but a long term gear head. Have been using Mobil 1 for ages, now thinking of changing, no problems just change for changes sake. Got 70K on Ford Expediation, used MB1 all of its life since new. Got a 06 4cyl Escape and have used Royal Purple, again no problems. Got a 98 GT Mustang with 50k, using dino but was going to change to either Amsoil or Royal Purple. Can get the Amsoil for about 8 a qt, Royal Purple is 8 a qt @ Pep Boys, and the MB 1 at Wal Mart goes for 24 for 5 qts plus a 10% discount. Thoughts????

Hi,
bangtango - Welcome to BITOG

You are using an excellent lubricant in Mobil 1 (in any viscosity)

Your Escape and Mustang could be converted to one version of Mobil 1 - all three vehicles could be the same - and this enables ease of storage/compatibilty and perhaps better pricing etc

Have no doubt, every version of Mobil 1 and its Commercial "brothers" branded as Delvac are leaders in base fluid technology and Additive package construction. Some people may say that for the price they represent the very best lubricants available!

Regards
Doug

Thanks,
I have been very happy with MB1, but as others, I am always looking for the 'ultimate' in lubrication. A good combo thought I had was the MB1, with a Amsoil filter. I do the 4500 mile oil filter only interval change, top off fluid level, and go another 4500. My mileage is 95% highway so I am confortable with this combo.
WHAT A GREAT SITE!!!

I personally like amsoil. I've run all of the above though. Don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

Jared

Originally Posted By: bangtango
Guys,
Got a 98 GT Mustang with 50k, using dino but was going to change to either Amsoil or Royal Purple. Can get the Amsoil for about 8 a qt, Royal Purple is 8 a qt @ Pep Boys, and the MB 1 at Wal Mart goes for 24 for 5 qts plus a 10% discount. Thoughts????

Look at it this way, Amscoil and Royal Purble are almost twice the price of Mobile 1, but are they twice as good??

It's the American way, put something in flashy bottle, say it's the best, and slap on a 100% markup.
12.gif

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
Guys,
Got a 98 GT Mustang with 50k, using dino but was going to change to either Amsoil or Royal Purple. Can get the Amsoil for about 8 a qt, Royal Purple is 8 a qt @ Pep Boys, and the MB 1 at Wal Mart goes for 24 for 5 qts plus a 10% discount. Thoughts????

Look at it this way, Amscoil and Royal Purble are almost twice the price of Mobile 1, but are they twice as good??

It's the American way, put something in flashy bottle, say it's the best, and slap on a 100% markup.
12.gif

Mobil 1 is eight times more expensive than dino, but is it eight time as good? It is the American way, if you can afford it then why not.

Originally Posted By: azsynthetic

Mobil 1 is eight times more expensive than dino, but is it eight time as good?

How do you figure that?
54.gif

A five qt. jug of the typical conventional oil is around $10-12 give or take, whereas the same size Mobil 1 is $21.97 at my local Walmart.

How do you figure that?
54.gif

A five qt. jug of the typical conventional oil is around $10-12 give or take, whereas the same size Mobil 1 is $21.97 at my local Walmart.

Mobil 1 is never on sale whereas you can get dino at Checker or Autozone for 49cent/qt. Check the sales/promotion forums often. Heck, you can get Synpower and PP for $1/qt on a regular basis. When was the last time you have seen that price with Mobil 1?

How do you figure that?
54.gif

Mobil 1 is never on sale whereas you can get dino at Checker or Autozone for 49cent/qt. Check the sales/promotion forums often. Heck, you can get Synpower and PP for $1/qt on a regular basis. When was the last time you have seen that price with Mobil 1?

The Walmart Supercenter here puts the Mobil 1 5 quart jugs on sale for $19.99 pretty often.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

How do you figure that?
54.gif

The Walmart Supercenter here puts the Mobil 1 5 quart jugs on sale for $19.99 pretty often.

Exactly my point, at $4.00/quart Mobil 1 is 8x the price of dino oil at $0.49/quart.

Guys,
New to site but a long term gear head. Have been using Mobil 1 for ages, now thinking of changing, no problems just change for changes sake. Got 70K on Ford Expediation, used MB1 all of its life since new. Got a 06 4cyl Escape and have used Royal Purple, again no problems. Got a 98 GT Mustang with 50k, using dino but was going to change to either Amsoil or Royal Purple. Can get the Amsoil for about 8 a qt, Royal Purple is 8 a qt @ Pep Boys, and the MB 1 at Wal Mart goes for 24 for 5 qts plus a 10% discount. Thoughts????
Mobil 1 is just about as good as any oil on the market.i have been using Mobil 1 twenty three years and no trouble with it.mobil 1 is easy to find and cheaper that some of the rest.
19.gif

bangtango- you're changing a $15 high quality filter at 4500 miles and that with mostly highway miles? I would definitely skip that filter change and just go the 10k miles on Mobil 1 oil and that filter or a Mobil 1 oil filter. Use the money saved for a couple oil analysis kits.

Not much experience with Royal Purple. Have heard a lot of pros and cons over the years. May not be a long drain oil.

Amsoil capable of long drains, in my experience, especially with your highway driving. Their filters capable of same intervals.

Not sure where you came up with the price comparison, but if you compare like size containers of Amsoil and M1, they are very close in price. And if you compare the quality of M1 to Amsoil, Amsoil is a better oil. In fact I have seen M1 quarts that cost more than Amsoil quarts, so I really don't need to think too hard on which oil is better.

As for this thread I assume we are talking about Diesel rated oils, or is it just in the wrong forum?

How do you compare these three oils? Spec sheets? Real world driving? If so do you compare uoa's and how do you do that. One after the other? That seems problematic. Real world performance is what counts and it the toughest to get at. And what does it mean if one uoa with an oil produces better numbers than another oil. How much is better and does the difference mean anything at all.

Lets get myself, Pablo and Buster in three new identical cars each with one of these oils. Then we will spend a year driving all over following each other and switching cars every day. We'll do a uoa every week and cover 2k miles a week carefully mixing the city and highway miles. With some time off we can hit 100k miles in a year. Then we tear down the engines and transmissions and pick a winner.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
Pablo - You said this:

"And if you compare the quality of M1 to Amsoil, Amsoil is a better oil."

Please substantiate this statement!

Regards
Doug

Look at the UOA's. Car, truck, motorcyle. 20-25K. M1 is not a bad oil and years ago they were more even, but in the last few years in particular, Amsoil is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back