06 Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have some serious upper end wear going on. Oil is in good shape, but it can't control the wear at all and needs to be drained despite tbn etc.

My first suggestion would be to check for serious air intake leaks. I think you have dirt tearing up this engine.
frown.gif

Would the silicon level tell you about air filtration?
Your point is taken, and I will again recheck all intake/intercooler ducts and hoses.

What oil specification(s) is/are required? I'd want to try a HDEO (Heavy Duty Engine Oil) like Mobil 1 5W-40 TDT (Turbo Diesel Truck) or Rotella T 5W-40 instead of M1 0W-40 which is mostly a PCMO (Passenger Car Motor Oil) but does have some ability in diesel engines. In diesels, wear is usually mostly caused by soot which is abrasive when it agglomerates into large enough particles. HDEOs have great ability to prevent soot agglomeration, thereby lowering wear. They, in XW-40 viscosity grade, are also generally of higher operating viscosity than M1 0W-40 which starts out thinner and also thins more from shearing.

Doc, I would try a different oil. I have a Jeep CRD also and have had very good UOA with Rotella 5-40 and one time I had to run Rot. 15W40 I have my last posted here somewhere. Might there be an issue with the oil filter?

Joe

turbowhine,
I am using the OEM Mopar filter.
I was/am contemplating switching to a 5W-40 diesel oil.
Am using the M1 0W-40 because it is the #1 recommended weight and the M1 is just about the only oil out there in this weight.
If 0W-40 is not available, 5W-40 MAY be used.(per Chrysler).
I thought about the soot also, and a true diesel oil may be the way to go IN ADDITION TO a bypass filter possibly.
Just my luck - got a load of the M1 0W-40 because for once I wanted to try to follow the "manufacturers recommendation".
Could you find that UOA? And any other ideas?
TIA.

Market525, please see above post.
JAG, thanks also.

I'm trying to decide which 5W-40. M TDT or the Rotella.
As I understand it the M TDT is not a true syn. Group 4 anymore so it's 50/50.
Okay - I'll ask. Which would you go with first?

Last edited:
Both are very good. I don't think you'll find a better choice than M1 TDT IMO.

turbowhine,
I checked out your previous UOA.
I also agree that the Mopar oil filter is not contributing to the wear and is doing a rather good job. Insolubles(soot) is
0.4 with 6500 miles on the oil. Either that or the engine is pretty tight and the soot is not getting into the oil.
On that note-maybe too tight and still breaking in.???
I spoke with Blackstone today and was advised to start decifering this by changing only one variable at a time. Since I have already changed the oil using M1 0W-40, I will resample at 4K but will refill with probably M1 TDT 5W-40 and see how that does. That should be in the Spring. Next, prob try the Rotella Syn. Life's a trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back