Autocraft Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone here know who makes the AutoCraft battery sold at AAP? My old battery died when I was at AAP the other night and I had no choice but to buy their battery. I count myself very lucky that it died at the parts store and not on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere. I got the Silver 84 month middle-priced one but I don't know much about their quality. I have always heard that the Interstate brand was the best, then the NAPA battery. Any info is appreciated...

I have used them in multiple cars over the past 7 years, great, only once needed a replacement, no questions asked, just did it. I switch them out at 5 years or so just to prevent the hassle of a dead battery, $70-80 is worth not having a jump or tow from a dead battery so every 5 years or so for me. I highly recommend them along with the free installation. Get the highest CCA one that will fit into the space provided

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. I did some research after Clayton said they are made by Johnson Controls and found out these are very good batteries. This one is 750 cca, I am pretty sure the OE battery was only 600 cca so it should do fine, and the price was reasonable. I'll have to look at replaceing it in about 3 years because of the heat here in Florida. Thanks for the help guys.

I just checked the Autocraft Titanium in my wifes car and it says Johnson Controls made it. Most of the batteries sold here in the south are made by Johnson Controls though.

Most of the Autocrafts in the Advance Auto stores around here are Johnson Controls. The only ones that aren't are the marine batteries and the lawn/garden tractor batteries. I think those are made by Exide.

It may not be a good idea to get the highest CCA you can for same size battery. You should get the CCA your car came with (rounded up to what is available).

The battery companies have to make some tradeoffs to get more CCAs in a given size and mostly its thinner and weaker plates that provide more surface area, thus more CCA.

Hey Donald,

I'm glad you brought that up because I heard the same thing from my Interstate dealer.....in a given size, the biggest CCA battery might not last as long due to the thinner plates and/or less "insulation" (electrolyte) surrounding them.

Anyone else know about this?

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Hey Donald,

I'm glad you brought that up because I heard the same thing from my Interstate dealer.....in a given size, the biggest CCA battery might not last as long due to the thinner plates and/or less "insulation" (electrolyte) surrounding them.

Anyone else know about this?

While your talking with your Interstate dealer, ask him if they (Interstate) still use 3/4 length plates (as opposed to full length that fill cell top to bottom) and hotter than industry standard acid to save enough manufacturing costs to pay for NASCAR participation.

Bob

Save enough on manufacturing costs?

Interstate marks up their batteries at least 100%, based on the fact that the battery that Costco sells for $58 is the same battery that Interstate wants $119 for. The specs are all identical.

That's how Interstate pays for their NASCAR participation.

BTW, Exide batteries are NASCAR batteries too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back