Engine Motor oil flush additive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always flushed my Toyota 89 pickup periodically with Gunk motor oil flush and berryman Chemtool. its coming up on 200,000 miles and running strong.
Then again, its a 22R and bulletproof.
What is the verdict on motor oil periodic flushes on newer vehicles. I know it should not be done on older high mileage and dirty engines or it will send bad junk into the upper cylander valves i think.

What do you feel is the benefit to using chemical flushes? I've got a '89 Toyota truck as well, although a V6, not a 4 cyl. Never felt the need to use a cleaning agent stronger than ARX.

The two mentioned are fairly thin quick flush type additives.
Gentler, slower cleaners might work better in high mileage engines of unknown maintanence history.
MMO, ARX, etc. might work better in those cases.
Of course, if you've had the vehicle for a while, proper oil changes with high quality oil or HDEO oil would likely mean that the engine would get clean and stay that way.
My 2¢

I have run 22R's out to almost 500k without any flushes. If you change the oil regularly (esp if you use a good Synthetic or HDEO) you should not need to flush.
However if the engine has a reputation of being a 'Sludge Monster' you may need to do something.

dickdog1 All engines get dirty by 25,000 miles and get worse every mile. Here is a good reason why you don't want to use a solvent based flush. Solvents stay in the nooks & crannys (they don't flush out completely) Now you have the potential for oil thinning.

Auto-Rx stays in the nooks and crannys also however thats a good thing.

Spitty your just not in the game.

Reposted from Toyota Off Road Web Site.

Solvent is one and it only cleans out deposits left by using a poor oil. If you use a good oil you should not need to use a solvent in your engine. Think about it, there is many places in your engine that don’t drain all the oil out of. You know the small little valleys that hold the oil and doesn’t drain oil. That still has the solvent it them and will contaminate your new fresh oil. Solvent will clean out your engine but at what cost? Solvent is made to break down oils and I for one would never use a solvent in my engine because it would start to break down my new fresh oil and reduce the oils ability to properly lubricate my engine.

Part of the reason you are instructed to drain the solvent(s) out during a flush is that the solvents are generally a high voletile, and would/will burn/evaporate off in a few hundred miles or less.
15 or 20 minutes from a cold start and engine is barely up to full operating temperature. Yea, I'm generalizing.
There is/will be little flush/solvents left after a long drain.
What is there will likely boil off in short order.
Any 'flush' should be followed by a short interval oil change anyway.
In my opinion, the above 'warning' from Toyota web site is overstating a bit.

Originally Posted By: Spitty
I have run 22R's out to almost 500k without any flushes. If you change the oil regularly (esp if you use a good Synthetic or HDEO) you should not need to flush.
However if the engine has a reputation of being a 'Sludge Monster' you may need to do something.

dickdog1 Please disregard my experiance, as Frank (the owner of Auto Rx says "I'm not in the Game"

Just a 'model' of customer relations, isn't it ? That'll attract customers for sure.

Don't worry about it. Every time someone mentions a solvent flush, Frank seems to get a little defensive.

I don't know Toyotas very well but if the 22R engine is what was in the Pathfinders from the late 80's / early 90's, my brother in law has one with almost 500K on it too. He's never done anything except change the oil and filter in that thing and it just keep going. Amazing.

Originally Posted By: va3ux
Just a 'model' of customer relations, isn't it ? That'll attract customers for sure.

Don't worry about it. Every time someone mentions a solvent flush, Frank seems to get a little defensive.

I don't know Toyotas very well but if the 22R engine is what was in the Pathfinders from the late 80's / early 90's, my brother in law has one with almost 500K on it too. He's never done anything except change the oil and filter in that thing and it just keep going. Amazing.

22R wasn't in Nissan Pathfinders.
09.gif

Iam really tempted to try the Marvel Mystery oil. I seen bunch of it on the shelf of a very reputable repair shop and asked him about it and the owner claimed it really worked and was the only stuff that he would recommend. I asked in the gas, and he replied in the gas and oil. He claimed it really cleaned up neglected engines without side effects. I really trust the guy from past experiences. I certainly dont think it would hurt. I would change the oil filter on my wifes car, about a 1000 miles from its due oil change and add a qt of MMO, an a new filter and run it a 1000 miles to clean it out. Then do a complete OC, with another filter. I dont know about running it the whole 5000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Iam really tempted to try the Marvel Mystery oil. I seen bunch of it on the shelf of a very reputable repair shop and asked him about it and the owner claimed it really worked and was the only stuff that he would recommend. I asked in the gas, and he replied in the gas and oil. He claimed it really cleaned up neglected engines without side effects. I really trust the guy from past experiences. I certainly dont think it would hurt. I would change the oil filter on my wifes car, about a 1000 miles from its due oil change and add a qt of MMO, an a new filter and run it a 1000 miles to clean it out. Then do a complete OC, with another filter. I dont know about running it the whole 5000 miles.

From what I have read on BITOG regarding MMO, the general consensus is to keep it out of your oil as it can thin it out. Using it as a gas additive doesn't seem to offend anyone in BITOG land. I think Gary Allan gave some good reasons about not using MMO in with your oil.

Again without stepping on anyone's toes....LUBEGARD! Simple, not that costly and the crud that comes out when you drain the oil after 15 minutes is unbelievable. Filter also loaded!

Originally Posted By: Panzerman

I have been using MMO for many years and it was introduced to my by a man in his 80's. For something to be around since 1923, IMO it can't hurt. I did just ordered some ARX to see how it compares to the MMO.

Last edited:
Auto-Rx cleans far more thoroughly, than any of the solvent flushes mentioned in this thread, and it is also far safer to use. I have used them all, and none of them worked anywhere near as well.

Originally Posted By: Oilgal
Auto-Rx cleans far more thoroughly, than any of the solvent flushes mentioned in this thread, and it is also far safer to use. I have used them all, and none of them worked anywhere near as well.

I ordered 2 bottles of ARX as a friendly bet I made a month or so ago and they are suppose to be here today. I have lots of fresh oil and filters on hand so I am going to start the clean phase today if possible. I want to see which product (MMO or ARX) works the best. From what I hear, ARX will beat MMO hands down. Well we (I) will soon see. And who knows, if ARX does a better job then I will not endorse the use of MMO in the oil for cleaning any more. Happy motoring.
19.gif

Originally Posted By: tackleberry625
Originally Posted By: Oilgal

I ordered 2 bottles of ARX as a friendly bet I made a month or so ago and they are suppose to be here today. I have lots of fresh oil and filters on hand so I am going to start the clean phase today if possible. I want to see which product (MMO or ARX) works the best. From what I hear, ARX will beat MMO hands down. Well we (I) will soon see. And who knows, if ARX does a better job then I will not endorse the use of MMO in the oil for cleaning any more. Happy motoring.
19.gif

I use ARX and believe in the product. I thought I was reading here a week or so ago that the ARX owner may have plans on making the product work a little faster for those who want more instant gratification, but don't quote me on that.

tackleberry I did not realize you had made a bet.Auto-Rx will clean
MMO off the metal .i am sure you will read the Application Instructions-FAQ and Auto-Rx Forum as you seem to be a fair individual.

I don't care if you endorse STP I just want a fair & balanced test. If I had known this was your only reason for purchasing Auto-Rx I would have suggested Dyson Oil Analysis do the testing (impartial) or perhaps Gary Allan (impartial) you could still do this as your product can be reshipped. Auto-Rx is real chemistry. In fact Richard Eklund in Tampa could do the tests. Auto-Rx will pay the charges. Let us know.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back