Schwinn Ridge AL used, exc cond- worth $100?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been considering getting a bike for exercise, if I don't lose some weight soon(now a bit over 250!!
shocked2.gif
) may have to go condo! Local paper has an a today for a Schwinn Ridge AL, used exc cond, $100. Plan to ride mainly on paved streets with some dirt roads & mebbe a few decent trails thrown in- nothing radical, & I certainly can't justify a multi-$100 bike for what I want. As a kid both my bikes were Schwinns- back in the pre-10-speed days, steel frame, coaster brake, & no gears to shift!
grin2.gif

As far as in-between now & then- we got our drivers licenses at age 14 & I doubt any of us ever looked at a bicycle again. I know I didn't!

So what do you think- is the $100 used Schwinn Ridge AL worth a look? Better than the WalMart ~$100 chinese bikes? (For all I know, the current Schwinns are made in China too- seems almost everything is these days.) Or of you know of a screaming bargain available new, I'm willing to listen & learn.

I wouldn't!
If you Google "Schwinn Ridge", you'll see it's $179 at K-Mart.
Any bike under $300 with a suspension fork is going be pretty low end. (just price quality suspension forks)
Check out Craigs List etc. There are much better buys out there! Just be patient.

The Schwinns of today are pretty much junk. They were bought out by Pacific which supplies MANY of the x-mart bikes. Supposedly, they are starting to sell some better models again, but buyer beware.

Thanks Bill. I just returned from a side-trip to WallyWorld, where I: a. became more confused than ever, and b. discovered that the Schwinn name is produced by the same "Pacific something" company that produces at least a couple of the other brands there at WM. such as maybe NEXT or Mongoose or whatever.

I have a $50 gift card for WM that's a bit over 2 yrs old now, & saw several models there with both front & rear suspensions. On the cheap end a NEXT PowerX with suspension, steel frame(heavy sure, but I'm no racer) for ~$74. A NEXT Shocker for $80, a Mongoose XR-75 w/suspension(alum frame I think) for $100(still only $58 if I use the card!). A Mongoose non-mountain bike called the 700C Mon M Paver, with no suspension, but really looked solid & might do for some dirt road riding, for $110. A Schwinn Aluminum Comp w/no susp(solid at both ends) for $160 that looked no better than the others- maybe not as good.
smirk2.gif
So while nostalgia is nice, I'm sure not gonna pay any premium for the Schwinn name- sadly, like so many oher brands, it's just become something to be bought & sold by other companies for the recognition factor.

Short version- for the same as asking price for the used Schwinn hardtail, I should be able to get someting with lots more features *new*, even if I have to do a little tweaking myself- gotta be some "how to" internet help on adjusting shifters, brakes, etc.

Holy Cow! Bikes sure have gotten complicated; 18-21 speeds that I have no idea how to shift, supension systems on both ends, seats that look designed by torture experts- this may prove to be very- ah, *Interesting*, yeah that's the word, Interesting!

Originally Posted By: Stuart Hughes
Thanks Bill. I just returned from a side-trip to WallyWorld, where I: a. became more confused than ever, and b. discovered that the Schwinn name is produced by the same "Pacific something" company that produces at least a couple of the other brands there at WM. such as maybe NEXT or Mongoose or whatever.

I have a $50 gift card for WM that's a bit over 2 yrs old now, & saw several models there with both front & rear suspensions. On the cheap end a NEXT PowerX with suspension, steel frame(heavy sure, but I'm no racer) for ~$74. A NEXT Shocker for $80, a Mongoose XR-75 w/suspension(alum frame I think) for $100(still only $58 if I use the card!). A Mongoose non-mountain bike called the 700C Mon M Paver, with no suspension, but really looked solid & might do for some dirt road riding, for $110. A Schwinn Aluminum Comp w/no susp(solid at both ends) for $160 that looked no better than the others- maybe not as good.
smirk2.gif
So while nostalgia is nice, I'm sure not gonna pay any premium for the Schwinn name- sadly, like so many oher brands, it's just become something to be bought & sold by other companies for the recognition factor.

Short version- for the same as asking price for the used Schwinn hardtail, I should be able to get someting with lots more features *new*, even if I have to do a little tweaking myself- gotta be some "how to" internet help on adjusting shifters, brakes, etc.

Holy Cow! Bikes sure have gotten complicated; 18-21 speeds that I have no idea how to shift, supension systems on both ends, seats that look designed by torture experts- this may prove to be very- ah, *Interesting*, yeah that's the word, Interesting!

please, please, PLEASE, don't buy a 'bicycle' at wal mart! they are ALL CRAAP! all those features are just more things to go wrong, and they WILL go wrong! they are a bear to ride, no fun at all (that's why so many wind up in the trash or for sale). do yourself a favor, go to a bike shop. they are not just for enthusiasts, but a good family oriented shop can set you up real well. I know you feel you don't want to spend a lot on a bike, but which is better- a $150 clunker you won't ride, or a $350 quality bike that will actually give you some benefit and be rideable? at lest test ride a bike at a shop and see what I mean.
don't be intimidated by gears, either- the guy (or girl) at the shop will explain it all real easy for you. todays bikes are light, easy to ride, and (properly sized) will be comfortable, and most of all, FUN!

IF you are on a budget, stay away from ANY suspension! Unless you're spending close to $500, you'll be getting a very low end bike.
Use your gift certificate for things like a helmet, lights etc.

s I mentioned, look at CL etc. for a used non suspension bike. Take your time and you'll eventually find a good deal.
IF you mention your city, we can look at CL for you to recommend a possible purchase.

Yeah, you're better off spending a little more for a rigid bike with better running gear. It'll last way longer than the Wal mart bikes.

I also wanted to get a bicycle for exercise so I went on Craigslist and found a nice Trek 800 Sport for $100 and it included a helmet and lock. One positive of living close to NYC is that there are thousands of things for sale and they are usually very cheap.

Originally Posted By: Bill Kapaun
IF you are on a budget, stay away from ANY suspension!

That's right. There are no decent suspension bikes under $1,000. A good suspension fork alone costs $350 and up. A good rear shock is $200 and up.

A boing-boing for $300 will last maybe one summer if a lightweight 12 year old rides it gently (a practical impossiblity!) A 250 lbs guy will max out a cheap short-travel suspension, which is all you get on a cheap bike, by running over a filterless cigarette butt. Suspension makes sense only if you go off-road or if you ride on very bad roads and if you have a sensitive tailbone or fragile wrists.

OK, no suspensions. They looked sorta Murphy-ish to me anyway. Unfortunately, $350 is just out of the question. I've already ck'd Craigslist for my area(Tyler/NE Texas is as close as CL gets): here are the current bike listings. http://easttexas.craigslist.org/bik/

If you see anything there for ~$100 I should check out please let me know.

Also, if anyone can recommend a few good bang-for-the-buck brands, or even higher end that might show up used, please post 'em here.

So far, from Craig's List, have a single seller with 2 Trek bikes. One has 17" frame, which might be OK since I'm about 5'10" now(long ago was a solid 6') & have about a 30-31" inseam. Seller says it needs tires aired up, handgrips replaced, & naval jelly applied to front forks.
crazy2.gif
Yeah, I know. That one's $90. Or seller has another Trek with a taller frame, needs less attention, for $120- it's a Trek 4300. MSRP over $400 on those- might be a winner?

About that Rhodes 4-wheel "bicycle"- I've never seen or heard of one before. If I had any idea where to sell it I might take a chance though!
grin2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Rhoades makes also a two and a four-seater, and even a pickup. Awesome for resorts, golf courses etc. You can rent out the Rhoades car to the neighborhood kids (and adults): $5 for 30 minutes. Better put a LoJack on it.
grin2.gif

The Trek 4300 is an entry model hardtail. Google "Trek 4300 reviews" and you'll get an idea of what you can expect.

I was just looking over some things on that 4-wheeler. CL ad says 7-speed- probably a 6 speed per the Rhoades website. Also has the padded seat & rear "Bicycle basket", so it's not the absolute bottom of the ladder model, which would be a 1-speed, with molded plastic seat & no basket. Too bad it's not a 2-seater. Still- might be fun, could rig a bigger box in back for Cookie the Wonder Doggie, & surely I could get my $$ back out of it! Doggone it Mori, you sure can cause trouble sometimes. I mean, sure it would look silly- but it might be fun. And without your comments I would never have considered it at all.

Originally Posted By: Stuart Hughes
Doggone it Mori, you sure can cause trouble sometimes. I mean, sure it would look silly- but it might be fun.

Depending on your neighborhood you will be either the coolest or the dorkiest guy around!
grin2.gif
I see rental bicycle cars in Golden Gate Park.

We have several people who walk in the residential streets here & nearby for exercise daily, plus some weekenders- rarely anyone who rides a bike. I'd probably be considered dorky anyway- but hey, I've driven a Neon for the past 10 years!
grin2.gif
And at my current weight, I'd probably be considered dorky even if I rode a new *High* dollar mountain bike.

Anyhoo- it is a good price compared to what a new one costs, I've already added up the figures. Wow. Had no idea.

Besides, I'm looking at the possibility of adding maybe a small crate-type pickup bed, plus positive traction to the rear & some lower gears- mebbe a human-powered 4-wheel, 2WD true off-road vehicle?
grin2.gif

UPDATE: just got email from the Rhoades Car seler- it's already sold. Oh well- back to the Treks.

I would think a 17" would be too small. I'm 6'0" with about the same inseam as you and I like a 21". Of course, sizing varies between people, but I would think you want a 19" minimum.
It sounds like the 4300 may fit the bill, especially if it doesn't need a lot of maintenance to make it road worthy.

Thanks Bill, I had wondered about that. When I was a kid bikes had one "gear", & you rode whatever you had!

I'm stil waiting on pix of the Trek 4300 & the other one. Meanwhile- it's a shame I can't visit my brother & his family in Austin now. It's a *Big* college town(UT plus others), plus the state capitol, and CraigsList for Austin, TX looks like it would be *the* place to get a used bike- some for free! One ad has 2 bikes for $1, & I believe the dollar is strictly optional! Take a look- http://austin.craigslist.org/bik/

Now have pix of the 17" frame bike- at least I think that's right. It's a red Trek 4100 Alpha, aluminum frame, the rust on the front forks looks pretty minor from what little I can see. Grip covers, a little steel wool & oil, & airing up tires really isn't much- just have to see if the frame is too small or not. Pix:
st4h011308001cw5.jpg
[/img]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back