Looking into buying a GIANT Boulder SE...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can get a Giant Boulder SE 2008 model for $275 OTD at local Bike Shop, list price is $330. All the reviews I have read say this is a fantastic bike, and the price is right, however, my friend has a GIANT Rainier which is around a $600+ bike and says I should go up to the Rincon or Yukon model for around $125 more. The higher models have disc brakes but is it really necessary? I just plan on riding local paved bike trails and maybe some LIGHT off-roading. I am mainly doing this for fitness and something fun to do with friends. Any advice???

I would recommend disc brakes if you plan on riding in mud, snow or rain. All three of which I have been encountering and am regretting I have not gone to disc initially. If not then don't even bother.

If like you said you only plan on doing some light offroading then by all means stick with the conventional rubber. For dry situations even when it is really dusty they perform just as well as my buddies discs. When the rims get wet though there is a huge difference in initial stopping power.

We do a good deal of downhill occasionally as well and have since bought some jagwire cartridge pads which are much better then pads that originally came with the bike. Haven't let me down yet.

Biggest points I would consider is derailer and shifter quality.

I can't believe I didn't know there was a bicyle forum here! (that's what happens when you don't scroll down enough...)
anyway, I know more about bikes than oil (I wrenched in shops for 15 years), so... I'll say what I've always told people about upgrading: you'll never regret it. get the most expensive bike you can afford. from entry level, up to a couple grand, there is appreciable improvements at every step, i.e., a $400 bike IS much better than a $300 bike. I'm not familiar w/ that giant model, but they are no different from others, in that the better ones really ARE better. no one ever came back to me saying they bought TOO MUCH bike, but plenty came back saying they should have bought the better one. instead of starting entry level, just get the better bike. it'll ride better, be more fun, and you'll want to ride it more.
as for disc brakes, they only work well when they are good. some mfgrs put cheap brakes on a low end bike just to hit a price point. IMO, discs should only be pursued if you can afford hydraulic ones.
one last point, make sure the bike FITS. most important.

I bought my stepson a Giant Yukon last year. Great bike for the money. I don't remember exactly what I paid for it, maybe 450?? It has a decent front shock and mechanical disc brakes that I spent about an hour setting up and they work fantastic. It has trigger shifters and an aluminum frame. Like mpvue said, buy the most bike you can afford. My last bike was a Cannondale that I paid 800 bucks for and then put 1500 into upgrading it. I won't be doing that again. I ordered a Gary Fisher 29er that costs more than I care to think about but I won't be upgrading it.

I do appreciate the replies so far and if someone would be so kind to review the specs on giant-bicycles.com and let me know which bike to spring for I'd also appreciate that. thanks again.

Rincon, Yukon, or Boulder SE

Go to Giant .com or giant bikes or something like that. You'll see em all. You'll probably get better prices from a local bike shop than the MSRP.

I went to the giant website, and to be honest, there really isn't much difference between those you are looking at, all pretty light-duty. you would have to ride them and see which you like. THEN, try out an XTC, and see which you like better. you won't be sorry.

IF you plan on riding pavement and a bit of hard packed dirt, you may want to look at the Cypress instead. It has tires/wheels that are more suitable for pavement. MUCH less rolling resistance!
If you can upgrade to a bike with 8 or 9 speeds in the back, they will have a FREE HUB vs FREE WHEEL. A FH is more desirable.

http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

here's my giant cypress

bike2.jpg

Well, today I bought a 2007 Trek 4300 yellow and grey for $320 OTD. Better in most areas than the Boulder and only $45 more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back