Recommendations closest to Castrol SAF-XO 75w-90?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car and the motorcycle that's on the way both require Castrol SAF-XO 75w-90. Attached is a spec sheet that describes the Castrol Synthetic gear lube:

http://www.ge39.com/files/SAF_XO_SAF_XJ_B1174_96.pdf

I don't want to pay BMW prices. Can anyone recommend anything that's as good? The regular Castrol Syntec 75w-90 (sold in North America) is 1/4 the price but I don't know if it's any good.

bmw superceeded XO with XJ for all LSDs, and IIRC, most dealers use XJ as their sole fluid.

I'd run amsoil severe gear... the 110 wt is probably a good bet, given that BMW diffs tend to get whiney.

JMH

I have been using Castrol Syntec 75-90 synthetic gear oil in my '02 330ci since it had 20,000 miles on it. It currently has 101,000 miles so I guess I can endorse it. Rear end is quiet and smooth. Change the oil every 15k-20k miles.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
bmw superceeded XO with XJ for all LSDs, and IIRC, most dealers use XJ as their sole fluid.

I'd run amsoil severe gear... the 110 wt is probably a good bet, given that BMW diffs tend to get whiney.

JMH

The diff (car) and final drive call for 75w-90(xo) and neither have LSD's. I myself don't know of any BMW cars with LSD's though many BMW enthusiasts lament the fact that their cars don't have LSD's...especially these days as power is getting significantly higher across the product line. Maybe the X3/5's come with LSD's?

Many on BMW motorcycle sites say any GL5 75w-90 at reasonable intervals will do - SAF-XO is not necessary with this maintenance philosphy. The thought is that for those who believe in lifetime final drive fluids should use the more expensive SAF-XO.

That's not me, I've done the car once at 30k miles with Redline 75w-90. Will likely stay with every 25-30k miles. The bike calls for a change at 600 miles then never again. I'll do it at 600 then every 2 years thereafter (likely every 8k miles - the bike only needs 0.21L)

Going thru this right now on my 335i. BMW forum member pulled it out of the TIS dealer systema nd it is XO (75/90) for open diffs and 75/140 XJ for LSD diffs which are in M3's mainly.

I have an '07 335i open diff, so I'm going to run the 75-90 XO. Spec sheet compare to M1's 75-90 looks better. Much higher flash point and lower pour point, higher VI and is actually BMW approved for my warranty.

Last edited:
I've been meaning to post an interesting bit of information on this for quite some time but I forgot.

Land Rover is your source!! I have several bottles of Land Rover 75w-90 in the garge and am running it in my 96 318i which calls for saf-xo.

Google 'Land Rover saf-xo'.... or 'LNR 7591' there was a pdf posted from Land Rover and listed out the OE fluids and their present OE supplier.

Do not let them sell you anything else. The bottle is black with the most generic sticker you ever seen!!!

For all the SAF-XO seekers here on Bob... a nice bit of info I've just shared.

Funny that the parts guy was insistant that Castrol 75w-90, which he had also, was the same, but at the same time noted that LR specified the 7591 in some diffs 'for some reason'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back