Car surge while stopped in drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am welcome to suggestions. My wifes car, a 2002 Lincoln Continntal,with the 4.6 Intech DOHC 32v. Electronic trans. FWD When you stop and sit at a red light for a prolonged amount of time, the car will (the best I can explain is like being tugged like a fishing pole). A small surge, the car does not move, Is like a small jump. I cleaned the thottle body, MAF and cleaned the low idle valve, then when the problem persisted I replaced the low idle valve, still did it, not as bad, but there. I unhooked the battery, reset the system as the manual said, still there. 2 new fuel filters and a new air filter. Two bottles of Chevron Techron(in two separate fill ups, a qt. of MMO and a couple of no name injector cleaners in other fillups, ran 93 and 89, switched gas, Shell, Chevron, BP, still did it,not as bad not everytime but now and then it still does No check lights on. Car runs great, gas milelage where it should be, shifts smooth. I think I may need a professional now. The Lincoln Dealer, claims it could need a reflash, but wont commit to that being the problem. Also said a Torqueconverter switch in the tranny, which scared me and I have a miss trust for car dealerships, especially when sales are slow. They need revenue. I talked to a mechanic that I dealt with in the past and trust and he said he serious doubts the tansmission, they are pretty tough on the Lincolns, he said he would have to do a Diaostics, which would be $75-100. He said it is probably a fuel problem. He said he cleans alot where he takes the whole rail off to clean, $159 service. This guy is pretty honest in the past and saved me alot of money when my last Dodge truck was estimated at a dealership for a $1500 repair and he found the problem and fixed it for $320. This happened twice on that truck with him so I began to trust him. Whats your take on this, did I miss anything, what would be your next avenue, Iam thinking more Injector cleaner. Any ideas? Iam open to suggestions.

First make sure it's just a lumpy idle. Then try long term FP60 (or newer) use in EVERY tank. I wouldn't expect a smoother idle for thousands of miles, but a steady improvement over time (just as steady as the crud accumulated over time in the first place). Save your money if it's just an annoyance, and don't invite mechanics to pull stuff apart.

Last edited:
Thats what Iam thinking run some more injector cleaner, I have some Valoline Synpower, I got on clearence at AAP. Ill probably use that up first. The car only has 65,000 miles so it shouldnt be that loaded up, it always got premium or mid grade gasoline and always a name brand. Thanks

If you really want to clean your injectors you'll skip the tank treatments and go for the fuel rail cleaning. It really is the only way to do it right. I get the Borg-Warner can from O-Rielly's or Autozone for under $10, hook it up to the fuel rail connector (looks like a tire stem) with my hose, unplug the fuel pump relay to disable it and start the car. It runs off the can for about 10minutes with pure cleaner going thru the injectors.

Secondly - you never mentioned the simple plugs and wires - have you changed them?

Quote:
I get the Borg-Warner can from O-Rielly's or Autozone for under $10, hook it up to the fuel rail connector (looks like a tire stem) with my hose, unplug the fuel pump relay to disable it and start the car. It runs off the can for about 10minutes with pure cleaner going thru the injectors.

That's some good info right there! Where would the fuel pump relay generally be on most cars?

^ Sweet! Thanks
55.gif

When my Plymouth Horozon did that several years ago, it turned out to be a combination of leaking vacuum hose, crossed vacuum hoses and a small clogged, oiled fiber element inside the air filter box.

Originally Posted By: another Todd
Are you sure it is not caused by the AC kicking on and off?

That was my thought. When the A/C compressor kicks off, the idle will surge briefly for about half of a second.

I found it, I think. I went over the engine lines( more than the space shuttle) I found a little vacaum line up by the firewall, as soon as I touched it, it let out a hiss of air, it wasnt on tight. I plugged it on tight and took the car for gas and it doesnt do it now, I sat in drive for about 15 minutes and nothing, so I think that was it. I hope anyhow. My wife drives the car to work all week, so Ill know by Tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back