Are Bosch Icon Blades Refillable???

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

Nearly time to refill my wipers... They sit a bit high and make some wind noise, so I was considering perhaps getting the Bosch Icon blades instead...

Thing is, in my infinite cheapness, I like a blade that I can refill.

In searching on here, some mentioned that the icons are refillable. Looking at one at the auto parts store, I dont see how.

Can anyone comment on if the icon blades are REALLY refillable?

Thanks,

JMH

Bosch Icon = Bosch Aerotwin. I am not aware of any flat blade design that allows exchanging the blade, since the blade is itself is a structural part that replaces the conventional bracket. The Valeo Ultimate flat blade is superior, but has also no refills available.

Just about any decent wiper is re-fillable depending upon your patience.Every time I've ever re-filled, I ended up wishing that I had just gotten new wipers. It is finicky work, best done in temps that allow for supple fingers.

unfortunately the icon is not the aerotwin... the end looks different. Someone on a VW site showed how to refill the aerotwin, and it had a simple way to get the end cap off. Therein lies my problem, I could not see how to get the end cap off, as there is a spring that has to be compressed on both sides to the inward direction, but it doesnt budge...

Perhaps Ill get PIAA silicone blades... they seem to be popular.

JMH

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
unfortunately the icon is not the aerotwin

Hmm, I was sure it was the same. I saw the Aerotwin first in '99. When the Icon came out a couple years ago in the US I thought it was the same flat blade. There is only the Aerotwin in Europe, no Icon. I guess that means the Icon is a different model altogether then.

I can take a close look at my Valeo Ultimate flat blade, if you want.

In any case, since the flat blade makes up 95% of the wiper assembly, what do you want to reuse? There's no bracket.

The icon looks exactly like the aerotwin on the top and outside... Its when you look at the ends, where they would be servicable, that there is the difference. Some VW folks have been able to refill the aerotwins, because the end cap comes off differently.

My issue is really that in my opinion, it is inefficient and wasteful to have to throw away an entire assembly every year or two when wipers are changed, compared to simply replacing the squeege insert. I'm no tree hugger, but it seems like a big waste to throw away the entire thing to the tune of $24 each, as opposed to replacing a rubber insert that is a quarter of the mass and maybe $10 each, as is the cost for the PIAA super silicone refills.

Yes, there isnt as much of an assembly as on the 'old fashioned' blades, but there still is the whole support structure and constant force spring mechanism that essentially gets thrown away when the squeege wears. IMO, the icons weigh more than my current bosch micro edge units, loaded with the squeege... there is a mass of the metal, the plastic 'spoiler' that makes the top edge of the unit, etc. Im throwing away $12 worth of parts and plastic to replace an $8 at best squeege...

Im not afraid of spending money, Id just rather not do so on an apparatus like the icon or its equvalents that have to be thrown away entirely when they are worn out.

Just my thoughts... maybe Ill get the icons anyway - Im not hard on wipers and so maybe theyll last a good while.

Thanks,

JMH

The cheap generic Wal-mart copy of this blade has removable refills. Presumably, you could refill them with a good quality Bosch/piaa refill pretty cheaply.

I happened to check this a few weeks ago when it was time for new blades on my truck.

Also, they look like they are plastic on the outside, but they are actually hard rubber, with a spring-steel skeleton on the inside. This is useful information because you can custom bend the curve on them to better mate up with your windshield for cleaner wiping.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
unfortunately the icon is not the aerotwin... the end looks different. Someone on a VW site showed how to refill the aerotwin, and it had a simple way to get the end cap off. Therein lies my problem, I could not see how to get the end cap off, as there is a spring that has to be compressed on both sides to the inward direction, but it doesnt budge...

Perhaps Ill get PIAA silicone blades... they seem to be popular.

JMH

On the Wal-mart version, you can shimmy the refill out without removing the end cap (which is just clipped on anyway). The refill just butts up against the overhang on end cap, with a little room to slip the refill out. It also has the little steel clip to squeeze in, but the rubber refill wasn't attached to this piece at all...it just came out all by itself.

I know I'm not answering the OP's question, but thought this info might help someone who's in the market for a generic version of these. I find them great in the ice and snow. They don't develop high spots like the old school steel hinged ones do when ice jams up the hinges.

Get the PIAA super silicone inserts, you wont be dissapointed! Been using them for the last 2 years and they are the best I have ever owned!

Agree with Mori on the Valeo's. I had Valeo's on my car and Icon's on my wife's truck at the same time - and much preferred the Valeo's.

I have also been impressed with the Valeo's durability. I generally replaced traditional style wipers every 8-10 months, and have had the Valeo's on for over 2 1/2 years. Their performance is only now starting to deteriorate slightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back