4 cyl on a road course

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 05 Dodge SRT-4 with a 2.4L turbo charged 4 cylinder that will be seeing the road couse a couple times in the upcoming months.

The motor dynoed at 250hp/279ftlb and redlines at 6250. Last August I did a track event where the daily temps reached 95 degrees and my coolant temps were getting close to the 230 degree range until I backed off the throttle some. I dont have an oil temp gauge, but will have one by the time the 1st event takes place. I currently use SSO for everyday driving, but need a suggestion on what would be my best options for oil during track use.

let me know if there is more crutial info needed to make a decision

Last edited:
SSO is a top-notch oil. THat said, Id want to maximize HT/HS performance and viscosity to some extent, to ensure protection if temps get too hot.

IIRC, one of the Amsoil Diesel oils has an HT/HS of 4.2-4.5.

ACD (the VI-less 30/10w-30) might also be a good option, since there isnt anything to break down and iot is chock full of protective chemistry...

JMH

Valvline VR1 SAE 40 w/ a K&N oil filter is what I would use. Just drain the SSO into a clean container and put whatever filter you run during the day in a ziploc bag before you go to the track. Then you could probably put the K&N into the ziplock you had you DD filter in for the next event and just dump the VR1 and put you SSO back in when you're done.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

IIRC, one of the Amsoil Diesel oils has an HT/HS of 4.2-4.5.

JMH

5w/40 DEO is one, and probably what I would run in this app depending on actual oil temps.

So far, I am liking what i see with the valvoline VR1 oils. It is farely cheap from what I can see, but I will be using 5 quarts of it along with either a EA0 or K&N filter. I will only be using it for the track day in early March and will be around 125-150 miles total for the day.

150 miles a fun, turning a 30mpg highway driver into an 8mpg four cylinder.... = )

any other suggestions?

my latest read has been on the Redline oils. I am torn between 10w30 and 10w40. After reading up on their site, it looks like I could run the oil for upto 15k miles or so depending on UOA. I would like to give redline a try for the track day and then continue to use it after the event. Would it be safe to use the 10w40 for everyday driving with my turbocharged motor? The event is early March, so I would think the daily temps would be around 50-60 degrees. What wuold be the adverse affects of using the 10w40 over the 10w30 during daily driving?

10W-30

SM/SL/SG
CF
Gas/Diesel
Vis @ 100°C, cSt 10.7
Vis @ 40°C, cSt 70
Viscosity Index 142
CCS Viscosity, Poise 65@-25C
HTHS Vis, cP @150°C 3.8

10W40

Vis @ 100°C, cSt 14.6
Vis @ 40°C, cSt 93
Viscosity Index 164
CCS Viscosity, Poise 65@-25C
HTHS Vis, cP @150°C 4.7

edit: this would be their regular syntheic line of oils, not the racing line

Last edited:
I have decided to use the Red Line 10w40 along with a K&N HP-2009 Filter.

My next question, at what oil temps should I start to back down some at the track? Daily driving oil temps range from 185-210ish depending on hard I push it.

Originally Posted By: gtx510
fwiw, I go with an AFE filter. I think the Pro-Dry S is the unoiled version.
http://www.afefilters.com/gendesc.php?partno=11-10080
http://www.afefilters.com/gendesc.php?partno=10-10080

Let us know if that RL 10w40 actually lasts 15k.

That K&N he referenced is an OIL filter.
Many people, with many different types of cars/engines have used the RL 10W-40 for open tracking/TTs/'Time Attacks'/HPDEs/road racing with GREAT results.
Now, whether or not it can last 15K miles in those combined conditions is doubtful.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
That K&N he referenced is an OIL filter.
doh!
33.gif

Purolator Pure-One (Bosch is now the same?) or M1 would filter better. I'd lean more towards filtration (vs flow) if I was shotting for 15k OCI's.

I planned on doing a UOA at 3500 miles to see how its holding up. by then, there will be two HPDE's on the oil. one in March, one in June. As for the air filters, I am using an AEM Dry-flow filter. I have been shopping around for air filters lately and thanks for the links, I havent heard of them yet.

Your AEM filter is probably as good or better than AFE. Please post your UOA when you get it, I'd like to see how RL handles the turbo and HPDE's.

I went to my HPDE yesterday and had a great time. The RedLine 10w40 seemed to work out pretty good. I had one 30 minute session, and three 20 minute session during the day. Total miles on the track was 138. Oil temperatures never got over 240 degrees. the temps seem to rise really fast from 200 to 240 in less than 2 laps, then after that, it wouldnt go up at all. on the cool down lap, the oil temps would drop back down to the 215-220 range. oil pressure at 240 degrees was at around 45 psi at 5500 rpms, which is 15psi higher than the SSO I was using. So far, I am very happy I chose this oil, pending a UOA of course. I have around 2000 total miles on this fill and will probably send out a sample at 3k miles. coolant temps never got over 210.

do you think redline 10w30 would have been enough for my engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back