M1 in Indy car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys are so lame. You know he is putting in VSOT on the side where no one can see so the engine does not fly apart on the track.

2007 Indy 500 was a good time. It had everything that a Race Day could have.

I just ordered my 2008 tickets and RV parking.

It is still the best auto race in the world.

Quote:

Quote:

Let me know the dates. Our plan is to become half time RV'ers.

offtopic.gif
You must have gotten a different pension plan that I did. I'm just plain old "half time"
grin.gif

Back on topic: I could see them using quarts at the race track due to contamination issues. Next time someone observes something like this try to find out if the bottles are factory sealed or if there are any factory sealed cases setting around. Some of the things you have to realize is that some of the oils that you can buy off the shelf today are better than the racing oils of 20 to 30 years ago.

Same thing with motorcycles.

Best race? Hmmm. I would say that maybe the 24 hours of Lemans. They do similar speeds as Indy. They also race in the rain. .. .at night? They just turn their headlights on!

The 24 hours of Daytona is also a must see race. 3 am and cars are screaming by the grandstands at 190 mph.
500 miles is child's play compared to running a car for 24 hours at speed. Keeping the engine and transmission together for 2500 miles is a whole other issue.

Is my eyes playing trick on me, but that bottle looks different from the one sold around here. Please verify guys.

Also, why use 0W40. That's a big viscosity gap and Indy cars doesn't have cold-start to worry about. Since M1 doesn't make 20W50, then 15W50 is what I would probably use.

Quote:

I don't doubt it at all.

Bobby Unser used to take his sponsors oil (Valvoline) home at night, dump it out, put Amsoil in it, and then took it to the track. You can see the clip at http://www.amsoil.com/video/company/index.aspx .

Another Amsoil marketing tactic. Amsoil may be making good stuffs, but its sale tactic is worse than thug. They remind me of how Al Capone used to push his liquor; with fear and force down people throat.

Have to agree with Buster, the oil in F1 are nothing like off the shelf oil. To put it context,read last months copy of how Shell works with Ferrari on fuel and oil.
I guess Indy engines are all spec engines, I think maybe they are built to use that particular spec oil or maybe that quart was filled with something else.

Quote:
These values are also upheld by Porsche and as a result the relationship has culminated in a number of impressive wins on the race track. The success on track proves the performance and protection the fully synthetic oil provides for the lubrication of the 400bhp engines of the race cars as well as for road cars.

Quote:
Porsche exclusively recommends Mobil 1 engine oil and every single Porsche is factory filled with Mobil 1 0W-40, exactly the same Mobil 1 used in the Carrera Cup and by your Porsche Dealer.

For an oil that shears and does shows higher Fe, I do wonder why Porsche uses M1 0w-40 on the track?? 0w-40 is more of an all climate type oil. Does anyone think that because the sump sizes are so large (9-14 qts) that it holds up ok? I would have thought they use a more shear stable oil, something similar to their 10w-40 MC racing oils.
21.gif

It's cheap, and it's made in massive quantities with good quality control because it's factory and service fill on so many cars. It doesn't have to be great. It just has to be good. As has been said, these engines only run for about 1,000 miles between total teardowns anyway.

Large sumps are the answer. You put M1 0w-40 in a small sump and run it hard and you could have a 30w oil in short order and in some of those applications a 30w will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back