Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to start using either Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum synthetics. Would experienced users please give me the pros and cons with each and which is the more preferred? I will be using one of these in a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L and a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L. I am planning on 6000 mile oil changes. Thanks!

Take your pick. They are both fine oils. I choose Platinum for obvious reasons. My only suggestion is that you pick one of them and stay with it. Don't buy according to what's on sale and switch brands every oil change.

What Johnny said. The two best synthetics on the shelf right now. Take your pick. PP shows better oil analysis numbers if that means anything.

PP lokes great but, Mobil 1 is backed by many high end manufactures like Porsche, & & . I've used Mobil 1 in my last 4 vehicles, each sold with 127,000 to 190,000 + miles without any oil related issues.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Take your pick. They are both fine oils. I choose Platinum for obvious reasons. My only suggestion is that you pick one of them and stay with it. Don't buy according to what's on sale and switch brands every oil change.

Doesn't hurt a thing to switch brands - been doing it for years and engines last a long time..........

Originally Posted By: nooil
Originally Posted By: Johnny

Doesn't hurt a thing to switch brands - been doing it for years and engines last a long time..........

One brand of oil, one brand of underware, one brand of coffee, one wife. It's just a comfort thing.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Mobil 1 is backed by many high end manufactures like Porsche,

That's doubtful. Mobil 1 meets the oil quality standards of many companies, including Porsche. However, it is highly unlikely that it is "backed by" those companies. Mobil 1 is backed by ExxonMobil. Just as Pennzoil Platinum is backed by SOPUS Products. Both Pennzoil and Mobil 1 meet a large number of manufacturer's oil quality standards.

PENNZOIL PLATINUM exceeds:
• North American warranty requirements for U.S., European and Japanese cars and light trucks with gasoline and gasoline turbo-charged engines where API SM and earlier API categories are specified
• North American warranty requirements for U.S., European and Japanese cars and light trucks with diesel engines where API CF oils are specified
• ILSAC GF-4 Energy Conserving performance standard (0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30 & 10W-30)
• Meets Chrysler MS 6395N (5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30)
• Meets Ford WSS M2C930-A (5W-20) and WSS-M2C929-A (5W-30)
• Meets GM 6094M specification (SAE 5W-30 and SAE 10W-30)
• Meets GM 4718M specification for Corvette (5W-30 and 10W-30)
• Meets Acura HTO-06 for turbo-charged applications (5W-30)
• Meets demanding ACEA requirements

Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40
BENEFITS
• Protects against harmful engine deposits and wear caused by high and low-temperature severe service
• Outperforms conventional motor oils in providing protection for hot running engines
• Protects against rust and corrosion caused by severe, low-temperature stop and go driving
• Has MB – Approval 229.3
• Has VW 502.00 and VW 505.00 approvals
• Has BMW LL-98 approval
• Has Porsche approval
• Meets or exceeds the requirements of ACEA A3/B4-04 and B3-98
• Meets or exceeds the requirements of API SL/CF

Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-30
• Has MB - Approval 229.5
• Has VW 502.00, 505.00, 503.01 (Audi) approvals
• Has BMW LL-01 approval
• Meets or exceeds the requirements of ACEA A3//B3/B4-04
• Meets or exceeds the requirements of API SL/CF

Last edited:
Mobil-1 gets the most mention - biggest oil company in the world - and probably lowest bidder for the auto companies factory-fills. I have the opinion it's a noisier oil than Platinum. I don't feel it wears any better for 6K OCIs either -- from UOAs I've read here at BITOG. Platinum is cheaper than Mobil-1 at Walmart in five quart jugs also.

I am having a noisier engine complaint with Amsoil ASL also. Didn't realize until recently - that Mobil supplied their base oil. Eventually - after my Amsoil stash runs out, I'll return back to Quaker State synthetics - which stopped consumption in my S-10 4.3 - where Platinum used prior consumed above a half-quart in 5K OCIs - covering three consecutive oil changes with Platinum. In my other GM Colorado 4X4, again no consumption with Quaker State - prior to switching to Amsoil.

If I were you, I would consider Quaker State QHorsepower Synthetic for your GM vehicle. Same price as Platinum at Walmart and most other stores.

Originally Posted By: 3putter
Both are great oils. I'm an M1 guy because I choose to spend my $$ with an American Company as opposed to a Dutch company.

Well, then you'd really love spending your money with Amsoil, Redline or Reneweable Lubricants then. All good small American companies where you can reward home-grown growth and innovation.

I've been using Mobil 1 and Redline products exclusively for years. Mobil 1 since the 80's and Redline for the past 5 years. ( I use Redline in my cycles and classic cars and Mobil 1 in my other vehicles). Therefore, I naturally recommend Mobil 1.

HOWEVER - as I stated in another post I am really getting interested in PP because of it's price and by what people on this site are saying. Therefore, I just changed the oil in my truck to PP this week ('06 Seirra Denali 6.0V8 with 24,000 Mobil 1 miles) and sent off my Mobil 1 for UOA. Oil had 5,200 miles and OLM stated 20%. I'll run the PP the same miles and send off for UOA. Then, I will post the results and we'll have a more scientific answer other than what we all just feel good about.

GM, to get the best comparison, do two oil changes on the Platinum and do the UOA on the second change. Two completely different chemistry's. This will give you a more accurate reading.

Originally Posted By: RI_RS4
Both are great oils. I'm an M1 guy because I choose to spend my $$ with an American Company as opposed to a Dutch company.

Well, then you'd really love spending your money with Amsoil, Redline or Reneweable Lubricants then. All good small American companies where you can reward home-grown growth and innovation.

Or Royal Purple, which is based in Texas. And of course Schaeffers, which is based in Missouri? I think that is right.

Last edited:

Both are great oils. I'm a PP guy because it's cheaper, PLUS, I choose to spend my $$ with a Dutch Company as opposed to an American Company. Gotta be careful with that "American" label: since Venezuela is American, just as is Canada, Mexico, Brazil, etc.

Depends on viscosity. M1 0w20 has been a great oil in our accord. M1 5w30 was really unimpressive for long oci's in our subaru and minivan. 10w30 was ok but would get noisey towards the end of an extended oci.

so--- xw20, either.
----- 5w30, PP
----- 10w30, either but I'd go PP

M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back