Best AR-15 Lube?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been lubricating all of my firearms with Mobil 1 20W-50 for quite some time now with very good results. Lately I've been thinking if there was something better for my AR-15's? I don't use CLP of any kind on any firearm. I've found any product that does a lot of things at once, (Cleans, Lubricates, Protects), usually does none of them that well. There have been a lot of articles written lately about how the AR-15 / M-16 platform of rifles should be run "dripping" with lube. I tend to agree. I'm thinking of switching to a heavier weight oil like straight 60W or higher for this purpose. I live in Phoenix, Arizona and we don't get a lot of cold days, but do get a lot of very hot ones! What do you guys lube your AR-15's with in very warm climates? Bill T.

Weapon Shield CLP, Fp-10 CLP, Break Free CLP, or TW-25B grease.

Break Free CLP is the baseline for all other gun lubes to test against.

I would not suggest Graphite for use on an Ar-15.

graphite aluminum galvanic reaction may occur if the conditions are right.

I use REMLUBE on my Bushmaster AR15 and I don't put so much on that the gun is dripping. I am sure there are better lubes, but I have a full bottle to use up first before I go trying something else. But, for the record, I've used REMLUBE for about 5 years with great results on all my rifles/shotguns/handguns. I do not think I'd be using motor oil on my firearms, though.

I've been using Breakfree CLP on my M1A Springfield for years and it has worked well for me. I do use some Lubriplate on the hammer trough and safety notch, but those are the only two places that the gun gets any grease. I've spoken with other shooters on the line and a lot of them also use Break Free CLP. However, I'm sure that other lubricants can give the same results. As a side note, I never over-lube the rifle, just enough to assist the moving parts in moving freely. Over lubing ends up attracting too much carbon, powder residue, and anything else floating around while shooting.

Sure I could do better, but a I clean em with boiling hot water and nitro solvent. Re oil em with fogging oil. Have some very old stuff that's still like new.

Bill T,

I guess you don't have to worry about corrosion/rust!!! I myself use Prolix right now. It's a good material that bio-degradable. I use to use Ezzox but my omly distribut went outta business long ago. Other than that Rem Oil or Breakfree is sufficiet enough.

Durango

You should never have to lube your AR-15 dripping wet. If you do there is something (gas key...etc..) wrong mechanally. Thin layer will do the job.

Weapon Shield is the best oil/CLP that I have used. Does not cook off, has AW/EP chemistry, and does not contain any solvents so it stays on the gun, not in the air. Good cleaning properties as well. Keeps the dirt down because the base oil is the cleaner, so it cleans while you shoot. Supposed to be 100% synthetic, but they are not saying what the base oil is.

Quote:
I don't use CLP of any kind on any firearm.

If you are using motor oil, that is exactly what you are using on your guns. Motor oil is a CLP, just for engines, not guns. Read a little more on this site to learn more.

Quote:
I myself use Prolix right now. It's a good material that bio-degradable.

Not sure who told you that, but not true, IMHO. IF you can get a hold of their MSDS (I had to jump through hoops), you will see what I mean. I would post it here, but they sent it with a non-disclosure clause
smirk2.gif
that I will abide by. I would find another product.

Weapon Shield is the best oil/CLP that I have used. Does not cook off, has AW/EP chemistry, and does not contain any solvents so it stays on the gun, not in the air. Good cleaning properties as well. Keeps the dirt down because the base oil is the cleaner, so it cleans while you shoot. Supposed to be 100% synthetic, but they are not saying what the base oil is.

I know this question is going around the world but does somebody know where north of Seattle I might buy WS from a dealer?

I know, it's a long shot just looking to try something different.

Olympic Arms is supposed to be a stocking dealer.

You could fire off an email to Steel Shield and give them your zip and see if they any place close to your location.

With the WWW, dealers are just a keyboard away.

Quote:
I know this question is going around the world but does somebody know where north of Seattle I might buy WS from a dealer?

Call Steel Shield and ask for a sample. They are, or at least were, very good about doing this. They were sampling out full 1oz. bottles last I checked.

And as stated above, Olympic arms is a distributor.

I like Ballistol, and use it on all my wooden stock/antique guns. Turkish Mauser, 1884 Springfield, etc. because it won't harm the wood.

But I think there are better lubricants for an AR. It needs a good lube, and any of the dedicated gun oils are fine, as are engine oils. I personally have been using G96 lately. It works fine. So did Safariland CLP. As did Hoppe's...you get the idea...

Originally Posted By: Gregory
Olympic Arms is supposed to be a stocking dealer.

You could fire off an email to Steel Shield and give them your zip and see if they any place close to your location.

With the WWW, dealers are just a keyboard away.

Olympic Arms shut their doors earlier this year.

Original design, direct impingement AR-15's do run a little hotter than most other semi-auto rifles. I recommend a heavier oil with a flash point of at least 250F Degrees. A smooth, low tack grease works very well also. I use Corrosion-X on all of my firearms, including my AR's and it works great. I also use super lube synthetic grease on ARs and M1As and it is awesome. 15w-40 or 20w-50 Heavy duty motor oil works OK but you can do a lot better.

I use Balistol and Remoil. Lightly with the Remoil. Balistol does a fine job of getting the barrel clean. I use a brush too. Switch between a standard and a boresnake knockoff I got from Aliexpress. This is on a Ruger AR-556.
I have found that Balistol is a great multipurpose clp. Rather recent for me.
Before that it was Hoppes #9 and gun oil...either Hoppes, Outers or Remington.

I bought a spray can of stuff called Remington Wonderlube with Teflon 20 years ago. Still have some left. It is great stuff. Although I used it as a lube and protect more than a cleaner.

I use non chlorinated brake cleaner on .22 Cal guns...rifles and handguns as well as on my handguns. It harms nothing and makes quick work of powder and fouling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back