2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Oil Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
My information shows 5w-30 for both the 3.7 and 4.7, and 5w-20 for the 5.7 HEMI.

More interesting for me is that the new Liberty diesel calls for 0w-40 and 5w-40!

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:
My information shows 5w-30 for both the 3.7 and 4.7, and 5w-20 for the 5.7 HEMI.

Yeah, thats what they state for the vehicles that currently use those engines..... Why do you think they want 5W40 now?

quote:

Originally posted by JeepZJ4.0:
Yeah, thats what they state for the vehicles that currently use those engines..... Why do you think they want 5W40 now?

I should have been more specific...the information I've seen shows 5w-30 for 2005 vehicles.

Jesus pumpkin pie christ we need an edit button.

That should be NOW not NO.

oh sure! You just put that in there! I know it!

pat.gif
pat.gif

[ October 12, 2004, 09:36 PM: Message edited by: Starbreaker666 ]

I've got an '05 Grand Cherokee with a 4.7 and two '05 Liberties with V-6s that all call for 5W-30 as indicated in the manual and on the oil filler cap.

The 5W-40 requirement must be either a typo on the TSB or a late running change.

Some manuals are incorrect. My 99 TJ OM specifies GL-5 for the trans ..but it's supposed to be GL-3 according to the FSM.

Now since this is a TSB alteration, it would appear that some 05 models are having issues with the 5w-20 (or 30) recommendation.

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
Some manuals are incorrect. My 99 TJ OM specifies GL-5 for the trans ..but it's supposed to be GL-3 according to the FSM.

Now since this is a TSB alteration, it would appear that some 05 models are having issues with the 5w-20 (or 30) recommendation.

In the long run, I see the 5w40 being a better option. There are a few guys with WJ Grand Cherokees (99-04) with the 4.7L that have over 100K miles and they burn a little oil. There is one guy that has 180K on his 4.7L engine and it burns half a quart every 3K miles.

offtopic.gif

The 3.7L..... DOWN WITH IT! THE 4.0L IS THE ONLY 6 CYL THAT SHOULD BE IN JEEPS!!!

quote:

Originally posted by harbor:
I've got an '05 Grand Cherokee with a 4.7 and two '05 Liberties with V-6s that all call for 5W-30 as indicated in the manual and on the oil filler cap.

The 5W-40 requirement must be either a typo on the TSB or a late running change.

Whoa whoa.... you have one already? Your dealer must not be too worried about WK Premere Night. I hope the one WK they keep on hand is a nice one to show it off.

quote:

Originally posted by JeepZJ4.0:

quote:

Originally posted by harbor:

Whoa whoa.... you have one already? Your dealer must not be too worried about WK Premere Night. I hope the one WK they keep on hand is a nice one to show it off.

Note his hometown.

offtopic.gif

The 3.7L..... DOWN WITH IT! THE 4.0L IS THE ONLY 6 CYL THAT SHOULD BE IN JEEPS!!! [/QB][/QUOTE]

Offtopic response;
Another example of a company taking the cost savings of manufacturing a V-6 compared to the superior Inline 6 for the application. Won't be long before the Wrangler is IFS(from the liberty) and has that V-6 in it as well.

At least BMW still knows how to make a Balanced 6 banger.

I agree with you guys, the 4.0 is far superior. I've driven both. I look forward to another 200K of 18-23 mpg, easy maintenence, and enjoying all that low-end snort.

On the other hand, it appears that Harbor has too many Jeeps..so I'd be willing to accept one from him as a gift; the least I can do!

Back OT, if they started recommending 5W40 what are the implications for thos who have been using 5W30?

Did I mention that my wife also has an '04 Grand Cherokee for a total of 4 Jeeps in the family. Is that too many ?

I do work at DC and have had the '05 Grand Cherokee since late July as a fast feedback vehicle. I just checked the oil change performed by our tech service center @ 3K and they used 5W-40.

I agree that the 4.0 six is a stout engine.

quote:

Originally posted by like a rock:
I'm sorry but I do not recall a 5w-40 that is API certified. These are synthetic diesel oil's I believe. I have a 04 dakota with the 3.7 and the manual says 5w-30. The tsb can't be correct.
dunno.gif

Here's a couple hundred of them, unfortunately only some of them are available in the US, but some are.

API Blessed 5W-40

I loved my 95 4.0L mil spec engine. Put Mobil 1 10w30 at first 1,000 mile oil change and sold it at ~165,000 running strong and using about 3/4 quart of make up oil on a 5,000 mile change interval. There was a reason that the military choise this engine for their light duty trucks. It would take a beating and kept on going. ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back