Why not just use some motor oil....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like if you shop hard (or are named "The Critic") you can find motor oil for $0.49/qt.....so if you have a diesel of middle ageness, why not start mixing fresh .49/qt oil in $3.50/gallon diesel?

What kind of ratio would work?

Pablo,
I posted something similar when Oz diesel hit $1.20 I think.

Could buy (admittedly) 20W-50 SF re-refined stuff for $1/litre. If I had an old in-line Bosch pump indirect diesel, it would certainly be going into it.

Depends on the injector pump.

The old Bosch inlines were filled with SAE 30 after overhaul (when that went through, they were lubed via the fuel.

Those pumps can take cold vege oil and not suffer (maybe need a lift pump).

The rotary pumps suffer thrust bearing issues if the fuel gets too thick...not sure on the cut-off 'though.

I usually buy a couple gallon of non-detergent 30wt and add a qt to my 35 gallon tank at a time. This is in a 05 dodge. If I had a pre-commonrail, I would be filtering my waste oil with a tp filter and running it as well. There are plenty of guys running waste oil in high quantities and cutting it with kerosene.

I add my WMO to my tank at evey oil change.
Just use a CLEAN drain pan and run it through 2 paint filters stacked.
Running a 90 VW TD with a VE style rotary pump.

I just sold me 01 Cummins that i did the same thing with.

I have two cars so every oil change I get a couple gallons of free fuel and no trips to the store to dispose of it.

it has been said that the synthetic oils dont burn very well, smoke much more, and may coke the tips of the injectors in CR engines. So I havent been willing to put them in my fuel tank.

I have been running 1 gallon of petro WMO per tank for a few months now, with no ill effects. Truck doesnt smoke any more than normal and seems to run exactly the same. I may experiment with higher mixtures in the near future.

Originally Posted By: DesertDually
it has been said that the synthetic oils dont burn very well, smoke much more, and may coke the tips of the injectors in CR engines.

I did not find this to be the case in my Diesel Rabbit, or my listeroid. Synthetic oils run just fine in older diesels. My new Jetta TDI have even had some syn oil in the fuel.

FWIW, BP2380 aircraft turbine engine oil (syn) runs great!

cujet

Perhaps you might have misunderstood me. I was referring to burning synthetic oils as fuel, as in draining old nasty synthetic oil from the crankcase, and adding it to the fuel tank of a Common Rail diesel engine. I have heard from several guys who have tried it, they noticed considerable more smoke in the exhaust.

BTW - i noticed your location as so-flo, what area are you in? I'm in Pompano Beach

using old motor oil is not s good idea. it isn't meant to burn ashless or be burned at all as fuel. You would better using TCW-3 rated 2 cycle if lubricity is what you are looking for.

What I know in 6.5L TD is that the optical sensor of the IP won't like it. The used motor oil will make the fuel less clarity.

Well, that being said, I think it is just flat out crazy to put used motor oil in any $50k+ diesel truck........but it's not my truck, soooooooo, do what you guys will. Hopefully it will work out well.

Back in the "old days" it was SOP for many national carriers to crudely filter their used crank oil and drop it back in the fuel tank...obviously different times and different technologies! Have you guys seen this one yet...it's dejavu all over again! Cummins Centinel

Prior to electronically controlled diesels this was not an uncommon practice. With the tighter tolerances associated with modern injection systems, I wouldn't consider ANY oil, used or new added to my fuel. But then, injectors and pumps are not cheap for my Cummins ISX. The OEM's definitely recommend against doing it. And at $400+ for a new injector, let alone all six, I am not going to throw oil, especially used oil, into the tanks. Of course, Cummins would recommend it's Centinal system.... they would get to sell more injectors!!!

To each his own.....

update - I've been running as a fuel supplement, synthetic WMO that has been filtered to one micron and then high speed centrifuged to one-tenth micron. Works just fine and you cannot tell the difference that there is anything unusual added to the fuel. Doesnt smoke or smell weird either. I have ran as much as 5 gallons WMO mixed into 30 gallons of #2 Diesel. This is in an '07 Dodge common rail diesel.

Originally Posted By: DesertDually
I've been running as a fuel supplement, synthetic WMO that has been filtered to one micron and then high speed centrifuged to one-tenth micron

Where can we get the equipments for this kind of oil reclamation?

Please remember that even CJ4 oil can have up to 0.4% sulfur (4000ppm) whereas ULSD is The best thing they should be doing with used oil is re-refining it, adding good additive packages and marketing it as a high quality but inexpensive alternative. Or burning it for heat or power generation in external combustion engines.

Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back