Newbie, First Post: Rear Main Seal Leak, Odyssey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy, folks, newbie here to the forum, but not to turning wrenches and doing my own work. Anyway, my first BITOG post:

My 2003 Honda Odyssey temporarily developed a leak at the rear main seal a year ago when I was driving to visit my folks in Georgia. I called Dealer Alternative in Fort Worth, Tx (excellent Honda repair shop, BTW), and spoke to the owner. He stated that he'd seen many problems with the rear main seals on these Honda V6 engines. Repair runs about $700 total because that FWD tranny has to be dropped.

I was near a Wal-Mart and I got a few quarts of their SuperTech 10W-30 "high-mileage" oil and topped it off - it was down close to a quart when I discovered it. At the next gas fill-up, I checked the oil and it had not lost any more oil . . . Hmmm, did the seal mysteriously heal itself, I thought.

I was using the Wal-Mart branded SuperTech Synthetic 5W-30 at that time and the oil had around 6,300 miles on it when the leak started. I'd been using the SuperTech for a while and changing at about 6,000 miles. But on that trip I went over the 6,000. I decided to wait until I got to my parents' home to do the next change at around 6,500 miles. When I got there I changed the oil, again using the SuperTech synthetic because I'd brought exactly 4.6 quarts with me for the oil change.

Well, on the way back to Texas, no oil leak. So I decided to wait. I closely monitored the van for leaks, and a few months later it started leaking again - with about 6,200 miles on that oil. I changed it, again with SuperTech synthetic (had it already in the garage), and the leak stopped. I've since started changing my oil every 5,500 miles and I don't have any leak issues.

Recently I changed the oil and I've switched to Mobil 1 5W-30. I'm going to monitor the leak situation and change the oil at 8,000 miles or at the first sign of a leak, which ever comes first. Yes, I know this isn't exactly a scientific experiment but I want to see if the Mobil 1 is any better, at least from the leak perspective.

After lurking on this site and reading a few of the UAOs, I’m guessing that the SuperTech oil viscosity is breaking down and perhaps getting thin enough to slip past the seal. But, after learning that Mobil 1 5W-30 is more like a “thick” 5W-20, I’m waiting to see if it starts to leak before the 8K mark.

At the point of the oil change I’ll probably get a Blackstone analysis just for kicks.

Any comments?

Thanks,

Keith

welcome2.gif

I'm trying to figure out why you switched to Mobil 1 5W-30 (which has no seal swell agents) if you already know you have a rear main seal leak.
54.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I'm trying to figure out why you switched to Mobil 1 5W-30 (which has no seal swell agents) if you already know you have a rear main seal leak.
54.gif

Don't forget, I'm a newbie here so I don't have much background on the oil details.

The M1 has been in there for about 2k miles now with no leaks, thus I don't think this problem had anything to do with seal swell additives.

It's probably worth pointing out that Honda's recommended oil is 5W-20. Based on my experience, perhaps this explains why many of these rear main seals leak - maybe the oil is too thin for the seal that Honda chose.

Again, I'm certainly no oil expert so this is all a guess on my part.

I'm no oil expert either, but I think you were on the right path before when you were using the HM 10W-30 to treat that leaky rear main seal and the leak stopped.

Or maybe the high mileage oil has more seal swell additives in it.

You may be right. But with that mileage on a Honda he should'nt have a leak. It's not the oil it's the machining and assembly and Honda should fix it. He's going to be fighting that leak until it drives him nuts, repaired, or sold.

From a 6 time Honda owner.

Depending on how many miles you have on the vehicle, there's a good chance that Honda will pay for a portion (or all) of the repair. Honda has been fairly generous with assisting customers once out-of-warranty.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Depending on how many miles you have on the vehicle, there's a good chance that Honda will pay for a portion (or all) of the repair. Honda has been fairly generous with assisting customers once out-of-warranty.

Salvage title, thus no warranty. And the leak started at around 65,000 miles, so even it it weren't a salvage I doubt I'd have much luck. Besides, it's not leaking now. I'll be sure to let you guys know if the leak comes back before my intended 8k oil change.

Salvage title, thus no warranty. And the leak started at around 65,000 miles, so even it it weren't a salvage I doubt I'd have much luck. Besides, it's not leaking now. I'll be sure to let you guys know if the leak comes back before my intended 8k oil change.

If it's not leaking now use the same oil. If it ain't broke don't fix it. ;-)

And if you have more leaks try the HM. Even you've drained the HM likely it's done it's job for a while.

Originally Posted By: kgvickers
Howdy, folks, newbie here to the forum, but not to turning wrenches and doing my own work. Anyway, my first BITOG post:

My 2003 Honda Odyssey temporarily developed a leak at the rear main seal a year ago when I was driving to visit my folks in Georgia. I called Dealer Alternative in Fort Worth, Tx (excellent Honda repair shop, BTW), and spoke to the owner. He stated that he'd seen many problems with the rear main seals on these Honda V6 engines. Repair runs about $700 total because that FWD tranny has to be dropped.

I was near a Wal-Mart and I got a few quarts of their SuperTech 10W-30 "high-mileage" oil and topped it off - it was down close to a quart when I discovered it. At the next gas fill-up, I checked the oil and it had not lost any more oil . . . Hmmm, did the seal mysteriously heal itself, I thought.

I was using the Wal-Mart branded SuperTech Synthetic 5W-30 at that time and the oil had around 6,300 miles on it when the leak started. I'd been using the SuperTech for a while and changing at about 6,000 miles. But on that trip I went over the 6,000. I decided to wait until I got to my parents' home to do the next change at around 6,500 miles. When I got there I changed the oil, again using the SuperTech synthetic because I'd brought exactly 4.6 quarts with me for the oil change.

Well, on the way back to Texas, no oil leak. So I decided to wait. I closely monitored the van for leaks, and a few months later it started leaking again - with about 6,200 miles on that oil. I changed it, again with SuperTech synthetic (had it already in the garage), and the leak stopped. I've since started changing my oil every 5,500 miles and I don't have any leak issues.

Recently I changed the oil and I've switched to Mobil 1 5W-30. I'm going to monitor the leak situation and change the oil at 8,000 miles or at the first sign of a leak, which ever comes first. Yes, I know this isn't exactly a scientific experiment but I want to see if the Mobil 1 is any better, at least from the leak perspective.

After lurking on this site and reading a few of the UAOs, I’m guessing that the SuperTech oil viscosity is breaking down and perhaps getting thin enough to slip past the seal. But, after learning that Mobil 1 5W-30 is more like a “thick” 5W-20, I’m waiting to see if it starts to leak before the 8K mark.

At the point of the oil change I’ll probably get a Blackstone analysis just for kicks.

Any comments?

Thanks,

Keith

Seems like your oil change intervals are way over stretched. If I am not mistaken Honda recommends changing oil at 5,000 mile intervals for Severe driving, and 10,000 miles for Normal driving. Only a handful of people qualify for "Normal driving" the rest should follow "Severe" schedule.

Refer to the Owner's Manual for the descriptions of "Normal" and Severe" driving.

You are probably breaking down the oil to the point where the tolerances on the mainshaft seals can't keep it in the engine.

BTW, it is not recommended to use anything oevr 30weight oil in a VTEC equipped Honda engine. VTEC solenoids have been known to fail from incorrect oil weight.

Another vote for Maxlife. Has more additive for seal conditioning. Should have no problem going the 5500 miles, and a couple bucks less that the SuperTech syn. A better oil for your engine in my opinion. Mobil1 also has their high mileage version of their 10W-30 that would work just fine year round where you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back