Bike Rack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

Yes I checked the threads.

I have a new vehicle and want to get a conventional hitch on it (to tow a trailer if needed) I was going to get U-Haul to install it.

Which bike rack will attach to it and are there any recommendations for a specific brand?

Also can someone point me to a good bike forum? I do rails to trails riding with a mountain bike.

Al

Last edited:
Look at Performance Bike for some pretty good deals. I think they have their 3 bike, 2" convertible to 1 1/4" hitch racks for around $129. Visit www.e-trailer.com as well for some more ideas/comparisons. Bike Nashbar has a few different styles of racks available but I like the Performance X-Port I am using now. The 3 bike is better suited to 2 bikes and their 4 bike, better suited to 3.

The E-trailer site I mentioned sells the trailer hitches and most are just bolt on which you can install yourself in 30 minutes or less for nothing. Most are vehicle specific and direct fit, not the universal stuff you can buy at Walmart.

I have a Yakima 4 bike that I bought at a local bike shop. It works very well and was around $165. It uses a bolt that takes up the slack in the receiver.

Almost all of the hitch racks I've seen use the bolt. It's nice not having the rack flop around. The rack I mention has the anti-sway feature which makes the bike pretty solid on the rack. I still use the safety strap for extra piece of mind. The X-port also pulls down (for hatch access) and you can fold the top down when not in use. There are cheaper racks without the anti-sway which use a clamp on the top tube. These don't fold.

I have an older Draw Tite rack that slips into a 2" receiver. No part of the rack or the bikes touches my truck. It holds up to 5 bikes. Rails to trails? I'm jealous. We have very limited off road riding here on Long Island.

went to home depot, bought a foot of 1 1/4 square tubing and some u channel, foam tape and a couple heavy duty bungee cords. i made a T with a 90 degree bend on the bottom that fits into my reciever. it cost about $15 in matereal and an hour and a half of measuring cutting and mig welding.

I have a rack made by Sportworks that is unique. It allows you to mount the bikes tires in a channel on one end and a loop on the other end. On the channel end there is a rotating collar that holds the bike to the rack. This type of rack doesn't allow the bike frame to rub anything or scratch it.
Thule has bought the Sportworks consumer division and is making a rack similar to this.
You can purchase a 2 bike rack and add single bick racks for up to a 4 bike carrier.
You must have a 2 inch receiver to haul more than 2 bikes.

I have a Uhaul hitch on my 05 cavalier. I have a sport rack 3 bike that uses a standard hitch pin (mine is locking). I can really only move 2 bikes with it, but it does a great job. I use a bungee cord to keep the front wheel straight on the bikes. Bikes face opposite ways to fit. Really only works with straight top tube bikes, unless you get a "girl bar" to clamp onto. I use it to move road bikes so it works perfectly.

like this one but only for 3 bikes.
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?categ...20Hitch%20Racks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back