Bracketless vs. Standard Wipers

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would seem that, the new bracketless wiper blades (Bosch ICON or eq.) would be cheaper to make than the standard blades. We are talking about a rubber sleeve over a tension spring, vs many little metal brackets and hindges that make up the pressure points, on a standard wiper assembly.

Why do the bracketless' sell for more?

Any number of reasons. They're new procucts, and production is certainly not a level at which the economies of scale available for the mass market product can be achieved. Any equipment unique to making this sort of wiper would likely be more costly than the older, long-ago paid for production equipment. And then, of course, there's the question of whether or not it's a better procuct that would perhaps justify a higher price. These came standard on our 07 Avalon, and I liked them so much, I retrofitted my 04 Prius. I think they're a worthwhile product, but of course, it's up to every potential buyer whether they want to pay the current price.

Go to Walmart and get the Walmart brand of bracketless wipers. You don't have to go for the Boschs.

I think around 2004 or '05 Renault Megane was marketed with those... They were problematic at higher speeds. At the end service were replacing them with the classical ones for free.

I'm still the fan of the classical Trico with sheet metal formed to a small round-section superstructure. At the hinge just in the midddle a spring employed both for pressure and as a fine fitting.

Originally Posted By: ikeepmychevytoo
I think around 2004 or '05 Renault Megane was marketed with those... They were problematic at higher speeds. At the end service were replacing them with the classical ones for free. ...

The Toyota standard ones on our Avalon perform absolutely flawlessly at all speeds, as do the Bosches I retrofitted onto the 04 Prius. The latter see fairly heavy, frequent use, and after almost a year, they're still great. They clean with consistency from tip to tip, and don't develop "pressure streaks" like traditional wipers can as they age. You have to be careful not to bend them too far, or you'll ruin them (lesson shared by another Priuschat member), but hey, you can't bend traditional wipers either.

As with the Avalon, they are standard on a few GM models (maybe other cars too, not sure) such as the Lucerne. I don't know how they're doing in other installations.

I use the new style of wiper exclusively, and I recommend them to everyone.

The new ones probably cost more because the spring steel has to be a special grade of metal with special heat treatment, whereas old style wipers can use just about any metal.

I've tried a couple of 'upscale' brands on my 6 and Sport Trac and reverted back to basic Tricos on both, with no problems. I tire quickly of jumping, skipping and smearing.

I can see shelling out $15 or so for good-quality "standard" blades, but the $25 apiece the shops near me want for the new bracketless ones is a bit much, especially when my current Bosch Micro-Edge Excel's work just fine, and have been for the past year.

It is the same reason why Ma Bell used to charge more for TouchTone service than for old rotary-dial service even though it costs them lot less when customers use TouchTone.

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: CBDFrontier06
I've tried a couple of 'upscale' brands on my 6 and Sport Trac and reverted back to basic Tricos on both, with no problems. I tire quickly of jumping, skipping and smearing.

This thread isn't really about "upscale" blades (many framed "upscale" blades are worthless), it's about self-supporting frameless wipers vs. framed wipers. When you say "upscale" are you talking upscale "framed" wipers or frameless? I've had absolutely no jumping, skipping, smearing, or sticking with my Bosch Icon frameless blades (same for the Toyota standard frameless on the Avalon).

========================================================
Originally Posted By: sciphi
I can see shelling out $15 or so for good-quality "standard" blades, but the $25 apiece the shops near me want for the new bracketless ones is a bit much, especially when my current Bosch Micro-Edge Excel's work just fine, and have been for the past year.

The Bosch frameless Icons are pricey at a lot of places. Look for them on sale (or just sold for a better price). I don't know abou the other frameless brands and their pricing. I like them so much, I bought another set at sale prices and have them stored in the garage for when the first set finally does wear out. They've been on for a bit less than a year now, and they're doing great still.

I got the rainX latitude blades off ebay in a choice of sizes I think for $31 or so shipped compard to $44+ at pepboys. I have no issues with them, they work good :)

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
As with the Avalon, they are standard on a few GM models (maybe other cars too, not sure) such as the Lucerne. I don't know how they're doing in other installations.

My 2006 Monte Carlo had them fitted from the factory. It now has just over 28,000 miles and they're still working very well.

I put a set of the Icon wipers on my old 1997 Monte, and while they worked really well for a few thousand miles, they started to skip on the window at higher speeds after a while.

When the time comes, I'll see if I can get replacement wipers that match the factory wipers for my '06. I've been very pleased with them.

Trico Neoforms are available for cars with factory bracketless wipers. I put 2 on my dad's Pontiac G6, and they work extremely well. They have a special part number that makes them fit "pinch tab connectors" perfectly.

IIRC, Target stores now sell Michellin wipers that fit pinch tab connectors, those twist locks on Fords and European cars, as well as conventional pins, hooks, and bayonets.

Trico had a set before the Neoforms that I used on my RMS and they were horrible. Looks like the redesign was a wise move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back