2005 VW Golf TDI PD 60k mile UOA (10k on oil)

Status
Not open for further replies.
60kUOA-1.jpg

Amsoil European Car Formula 5W40

What do you all think.

My 70k UOA should be here in a few days.

Oil is in good shape. Fe though is getting up there. I think 150ppm is the cut off?? I take it these engines spit out a lot of Fe?

Good to hear.
I did change the air filter after the 60k oil change.

I would like to get the soot/solids down. I think I had a hung up EGR for a little bit. If it does not make even more progress on my 70k UOA, I am going to think about a bypass filter.

BTW... Here are some pictures of my camshaft from the TDI. There was a rumor that the camshafts might be wearing early, turns out most of those claims were from improper oil use... not using 505.01

IMG_2699.jpg

IMG_2700.jpg

IMG_2701.jpg

IMG_2703.jpg

IMG_2704.jpg

IMG_2723.jpg

IMG_2724.jpg

IMG_2725.jpg

IMG_2726.jpg

IMG_2727.jpg

IMG_2728.jpg

IMG_2729.jpg

IMG_2736.jpg

IMG_2730.jpg

IMG_2735.jpg

IMG_2734.jpg

IMG_2732.jpg

IMG_2731.jpg

Originally Posted By: milehighassassin

Amsoil European Car Formula 5W40

What do you all think.

My 70k UOA should be here in a few days.

The soot (1.7%) is through the roof... 1% is as high as I would care to see after 10k miles. I'd also like to see the Fe down to about 40 ppm in 10k miles -- that would also result in lower numbers for the Al.

I don't have a recommendation. Some oils are better at handling high levels of soot, but I don't know any VW505.01-rated oils that are. You might try a VW507.00-rated oil, but stay away from the Elf Evolution 506.01 -- I know for a fact that it can't handle the soot.

Best solution is to find a way to reduce the soot. But you'll need to talk with someone who knows the PD engine.

I ran Delvac1 in my Mercedes for 10,000 miles. The soot was at 4.5% and the iron was only 33ppm, Cu at 14, Al at 5 Cr at 1. Too bad you can't use Delvac in the PD engine.

Originally Posted By: wjdell
I think you need to reduce your soot level - reduce the interval or flush.

Definitely- best way to get rid of the soot is to change your oil more often and or use a bypass if possible. I don't like changing my oil either, but I would like to change my engine a whole steaming truckload less!

Your soot level actually came down a bit. The oil looks OK and yes these engines throw a lot of Fe.

I think you should drop the AFL and go with DEO 5W-40 It, too, is a low SAPS oil, but at least it's a diesel oil.

I am STILL waiting on my 70k UOA (3 WEEKS!!!! [censored]?)

If my soot does not come down, I have a few ideas...
-Oil Bypass system

I really don't want to go to a non 505.01 oil.

I think my EGR hung open for some time. I am REALLY hoping the next UOA will show another drop.

I am thinking about chipping my ECU, in which case I will have the EGR cycle completely deleted. Of course I only drive off road :)
wink.gif

I just saw a DEO UOA on a PD motor - he too had 100 ppm counts on 10k OCI using AFL. He switched to DEO and tested at 2500 miles showing 29 ppm Fe then tested at 7k and showed 35 ppm Fe that is only a increase of 6 ppm in 4500 miles. The DEO is a great PD oil I just wish Amsoil would condone its use.

I just saw a DEO UOA on a PD motor - he too had 100 ppm counts on 10k OCI using AFL. He switched to DEO and tested at 2500 miles showing 29 ppm Fe then tested at 7k and showed 35 ppm Fe that is only a increase of 6 ppm in 4500 miles. The DEO is a great PD oil I just wish Amsoil would condone its use.

I'll continue to bug them. Do you have a link to that UOA? It should help my case. Thanks!

Pablo I wrote AMSOIL and they want to see evidence, I of course can not give them that. The VW DEO user wants to remain anonymous and I am sure you understand that he would be attacked at certain forums. I am going to Schaeffers as they will rec their S9000 for TDI PD use and Amsoil will not rec DEO. If I can not get great numbers with 507 then I will do something.

Heres a laugh Amsoil said they were not aware of the mediocre performance of their AFL in the PD motors. Yet I have seen their lab show 100 ppm Fe counts on 10k OC's of AFL. I and only few others have posted good UOA's with AFL. Then again many 505.01 users are posting identical performance to AFL, nothing to write home to mom about. My UOA is not worth consideration. My conditions are so optimum.

Pablo I wrote AMSOIL and they want to see evidence, I of course can not give them that. The VW DEO user wants to remain anonymous and I am sure you understand that he would be attacked at certain forums. I am going to Schaeffers as they will rec their S9000 for TDI PD use and Amsoil will not rec DEO. If I can not get great numbers with 507 then I will do something.

Heres a laugh Amsoil said they were not aware of the mediocre performance of their AFL in the PD motors. Yet I have seen their lab show 100 ppm Fe counts on 10k OC's of AFL. I and only few others have posted good UOA's with AFL. Then again many 505.01 users are posting identical performance to AFL, nothing to write home to mom about. My UOA is not worth consideration. My conditions are so optimum.

Amsoil admits this:

Quote:
In response to your inquiry, AFL was formulated specifically to meet VW 505.01 standards so we could offer an oil to VW owners who are under warranty. This is not to say AFL is the best oil we make, since the 505.01 standard is as much a limitation as a minimum specification. It is the same situation for DEO. To meet the CJ-4 specification is a limitation as well. The fact that both of these oils are OEM drain interval oils reflects the compromises required to meet the respective specifications the oils were formulated to satisfy.

Quote:
The two specifications are exclusive. Since DEO requirements are specifically intended to extend the life of particulate filters, VW will have to change their requirements if they choose to equip their diesels with the particulate filter as part of their emissions systems.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: buster
Redline 5w-40?

What is Redline claiming for this oil? (not CJ-4 or VW 505.01!)

Redline's spec sheet for their 5w-40 lists API SL/SJ/SH, and CD/CF.

In some VW engines, I think I would want the most over built oil and not care so much about the warranty.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back