Mixing Manual Transmission Fluid Types

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a new clutch put in my 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 yesterday, and I was told that a small amount of transmission fluid was lost in the disassembly process and was topped off when it was re-assembled.

A few months ago I replaced the factory fill with Redline MT-90. Can I expect any adverse effects from them adding dino gear oil to my MT-90? I haven't noticed any difference in shift quality, but I'm not going to rely on that as a tell-all.

Thanks guys.

The amount of new Trans Fluid added was so small, it would not make any difference in shift quality. No adverse effects will occur.

The only thing I'd do, especially if it's relatively easy, is to check the fluid level and make absolutely sure it's full. When you take the axles out, depending on if the transaxle was tipped to the side a bit or not when it was removed, you could lose a pint of fluid pretty easy.

Yeah, I'll probably craw under it and pull the fill plugs on the tranny and transfer case and see if anything runs out, or if I can touch it with my finger.

They told me the transfer case was almost completely drained, so they've saved me the trouble of changing the fluid in that. I'm thankful, since it requires a pump to fill.

Thanks for the advice.

you don't have a transfer case, it's 2wd. Maybe the G36M-R is complete different (I doubt it) but Mazda's earlier fwd transaxles don't have a separate diff like a Honduh tranny.

I wouldn't trust the dealer or their bulk oil habits.

If this were mine, I would change out all the fluids.

Sorry, but where I come from, a clutch job includes complete fluid replacements....... shortcuts anyone?

Originally Posted By: gtx510
you don't have a transfer case, it's 2wd. Maybe the G36M-R is complete different (I doubt it) but Mazda's earlier fwd transaxles don't have a separate diff like a Honduh tranny.

It's a Mazdaspeed 6....it has all-wheel-drive.

Originally Posted By: unDummy

Sorry, but where I come from, a clutch job includes complete fluid replacements....... shortcuts anyone?

Well, this is a special case in that there is only 5300 miles on the car. Mazda issued a TSB for clutches on this car within a certain VIN range, due to difficulty of use and possible failure of the pressure plate. At 5300 miles, I'm not surprised at all that I got a topoff instead of a change. I just wish I had had the forsight to take them my leftover Redline for them to use. You know what they say about hindsight.

Originally Posted By: unDummy

Right on unDummy! I NEVER trust dealer bulk fluids,especially when you ask what they use and they say "I dunno,it just comes in a big drum".

You have no way of knowing how much they added so if your intention was having Redline in there, its now mixed and any advantage to using the Redline is diminished IMO.

I would have to change it out not knowing what they put in there.

Right. You have no way of knowing how much was lost. When replacing clutches, we often drain the transaxle first because of the steep angles involved. This prevents oil loss and a big mess.
A pt to a qt would be a good guesstimate.
I wouldn't be happy with an unknown mix, but you'll be safe until you change the fluid again.
First thing I'd do is call and ask the mechanic how much was needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back