Walmart Motorcraft filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
heard that the motorcraft filters that are sold in walmart are not the same as the ones ford sells. Is it true that the walmart ones are made by fram or just a rumor?

Look on the bottom. You should see the thread pitch stamped into the baseplate. 3 inlet hole 4 inlet hole 16 inlet hole ..etc..etc ..or 3/4-16. That's a Purolator filter. The assembly line filter will probably not be the same and may be made by a different supplier. Those with an "S" suffix will have a silicon ADBV. All will, IIRC, have a endplate (or open end) bypass valve. Not all of the other offerings will have these features for fitment.

I have actually purchased a Motorcraft FL820S filter from a Ford dealer, as well as from W-M, Auto Zone, etc.

Every Motorcraft FL820S that I've purchased was identical in every way to the one purchased from the Ford dealer. Well, there was one difference: The one I purchased at the Ford dealer was twice as expensive.

The assembly line Motorcraft is not the same Motorcraft filter dealers or Walmart sells. I'm not sure they are for retail sale on the open market. But the same model number of Motorcrafts that either Walmart or the dealer sells over the counter - should all be the same.

Every Motocraft filter I've purchased seems to be of Purolator manufacture, no matter where I bought it.

But, I've removed two of the factory installed Motorcraft filters in the last few years from new Ford vehicles. They both appeared to be Champion labs filters. I bought a Motorcraft FL-1HP a year or so ago and again, it looked like a Champion labs filter.

Last edited:
There you have it. 6 out of 6 BITOG'ers surveyed agree
grin2.gif

All I know is I bought a used 4.6 modular engine, and the FL820S that came off of it looks identical to the one I bought in Walmart for 3.38, and this was a filter a Ford Dealership installed for me on that engine before I drove it off the lot. Either that Ford Dealership buys their filters at Walmart, or, they are the same.

Originally Posted By: PW01
All of the aftermarket Motorcraft filters are the same. The factory installed unit is different.

Most of our factory filters are Champ filter while the Motorcraft are Purolator.

I have never seen a difference and we buy them from Walmart for ourselves. SAME EXACT STUFF!!!

When I referenced the "factory" filter, I was speaking of the gray filter installed at the factory - not the white Motorcraft that you get at the dealer

FWIW, for as long as I've been on BITOG, the spin-on oil filters installed on Ford engines at the factory have been Champ Labs filters, while every aftermarket Motorcraft spin-on oil filter I've ever seen was Purolator-made.

One thing I've never considered is whether the factory installed catridge filters on Ford's diesel engines are Motorcraft, or something else. Does anybody know? I don't think Purolator even produces their own catridge filters, do they? Just about every other oil filter manufacturer contracts their cartridge filter business out to some other company (mostly European or Asian companies).

i am going to investigate this a little more. A couple guys on the mustang forums claim the design and patent numbers on the walmart motorcraft filters match the fram ones. The filter in question is a FL1A.

As far as the dieseil filters go I use those also on my powerstroke. I know the autolites that the used to sell at walmart were the same as the motorcraft ones. Same part and patent numbers and designs

I didn't see any patent numbers ..but it does list the Ford spec number right under the FL300 (D4ZZ-6731-B)

Are motorcraft filters pretty high quality? I have an FL1A on my F-150 now for the first time. I got it because I didn't have enough cash to get the Bosch filter like I normally get. I would always get Purolator Pure One filters, but they don't carry them at Autozone. (I shope Autozone for my credits to get free stuff).

So, anyways, I didn't have the cash to get the Bosch, so I went to a $3 cheaper filter and got the Motorcraft. I do 3000 miles OCI's, anyways, so it's not like it has to last a long time... but is the quality considered high on these filters? I know they are made by Purolator, so that gives me some comfort.

"3,000 miles on a Motorcraft filter will be just fine. No worries whatsoever."

No worries as long as the media seam is sealed.

Any filter can have a defect. Purolator, under the MC label, is no different. It's rare. Even our often loathed Fram rarely has a defect in assembly/construction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back