source of potassium and sodium in used oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AMSOIL XL7500 UOA showed high level of Potassium (4) and Sodium (11) but no trace of antifreeze was found!

Blackstone thinks it came from oil additive but no oil or gas additive was used. they also think Sodium/Potassium may be the result of high bearing wear! Lead (15) copper (13)

What do you guys think?

some info on UOA
Amsoil XL7500 10500 miles on oil
Al 7 Average 4
Iron 86 Ave 15
copper 13 Ave 8
lead 15 ave 3
potassium 4 ave 0
Silicon 9 Ave 10
Sodium 11 ave 5
Vis 61.1 (59-65)
Flashpoint 380 (>370)
Fuel Antifreeze 0
Insolubles 0.4

My UOA's always show some sodium(not tested for potassium) and I'm confident that I don't have a coolant leak. If the numbers start trending up then that would be cause for concern.

I have had a trend in sodium from 5 to 10 to 15 in my last 3 UOA's which has puzzled me as well. Some other members pointed it out to me, yet I'm not sure what to make of it. I will find out pretty soon with the help of Terry Dyson's services, as I plan on chaging my oil next week.

My 02 Silverado 4.3 showed sodium quite a while then the analysis company switched it to Potassium and back to sodium, they can't seem to properly differentiate them. At any rate I checked the MSDS for Dexcool and it showed a potassium compound. I had the Intake gasket changed and sure enough it was broken and leaking in at least one spot, though very slowly. I have not got my next analysis yet, just went over 3k miles on that change.

Sodium may also be caused by Road Salt usage in the wintertime. Contamination may come from either ingestion (through the air intake or other vacuum leak) or sample contamination (salt around the drain plug, etc...). I tend to notice a slight bump in sodium values over winter intervals as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back