2003 Lexus GS430, Coolant Analysis results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

As part of the 60,000 mile service on my 2003 Lexus GS-430 (which I actually performed a bit early), I had the Engine Oil, Transmission Fluid, Antifreeze, and Differential oil analyzed. This posting is on the results for the Antifreeze. Note this is the first time I have had the coolant analyzed, so I don't have any reports other than this one.

The report was flagged as abnormal, but I think this is due to a mistake on my part (which I will explain below). Please take a look at these results and let me know what you think - Although I am familiar with UOAs, I am unfamiliar with interpreting coolant analysis results.

The vehicle this coolant was used in is a 2003 Lexus GS 430. The coolant was in use for 31,329 miles, and about 28 months.

Iron: < 1
Chromium: < 1
Aluminum: 15
Lead: < 1
Copper: < 1
Silver: 0.1
Silicon: 23
Boron: < 1
Sodium: > 999
Potassium: > 999
Molybdenum: 843
Phosphorus: 1607
Zinc: < 1
Calcium: < 10
Barium: < 10
Magnesium: < 1

pH: 7.3
NITR, ppm: 600
Freeze Pt., F: -35
A/F %: 51
Visual Color: Red
Visual Appear.: Clear
ELC CORR INHIBIT: FAIL

The report was flagged as ABNORMAL because of the ELC CORR INHIBIT level. I suspect this is because that test assumes an Extended Life Antifreeze (i.e., the stuff that is supposed to last 100,000+ miles) is in use. This sample represents REGULAR antifreeze - Toyota recommends changing every two years, every 30K miles or so. In other words, for those of you familiar with Toyota factory coolants, this is the regular Red Long Life Coolant, NOT the "Super Long Life" Pink stuff.

Assuming I am correct, could I have gone longer on this coolant? I am particularly unsure how to interpret the NITR and pH results.

Thanks...

No. If you are using the Long life RED coolant, it MUST be replaced every 30k miles (or three years). There have been issues in the past with the RED coolant causing corrosion issues if used beyond the recommended interval.

Why aren't you using the recommended Super Long Life PINK fluid?

Critic -

This engine came from the factory with the regular Toyota Red Long life stuff. This GS430 was manufactured in April, 2003. I think they started using the Pink Super Long Life in June 2003. I am merely using the regular red because that is what came with the car.

I know that Toyota wants 30K intervals with this fluid - but base on the pH and NITR levels, I was wondering how closely I came to end of life on this fluid - But I do not know how to interpret those two readings...

My 97 Camry has the cheap green stuff and is changed every 2 years. My 99 Corolla has Toyota Red from factory, and - I don't know if it has ever been changed, but - I did my first coolant change on it in July 2007.

If this would be considered "regular" coolant I believe the PH should be at least 8.5 and the Nitrates should 1,000 on up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
No. If you are using the Long life RED coolant, it MUST be replaced every 30k miles (or three years). There have been issues in the past with the RED coolant causing corrosion issues if used beyond the recommended interval.

Why aren't you using the recommended Super Long Life PINK fluid?

I thought Toyota Red was 24k miles/24 months?

Toyota "red" coolant is a first-generation Japanese POAT coolant; it has a low pH (compared to conventional green) just like second generation "super long life" POAT coolants such as Toyota "pink". According to MSDS for Toyota "red" coolant, the pH of undiluted coolant is 8.0 which converts to a pH of 7.7 for a 50/50 mix with distilled water. In comparison, the pH of pre-mixed Toyota "pink" coolant is 7.6.

The MSDSs for Toyota "red" and "pink" do not specify nitrate levels but first generation POAT coolants rely primarily on phosphates and organic acids (typically benzoic acid) for corrosion protection so the nitrate levels should be significantly lower than in conventional green coolant.

Old thread, but thanks for that last post. I was wondering if I should do a change of the current red coolant I'm running. According to the test strip I got -60F protection and around 7.5ph and it's been there for almost two years.

Toyo is now 100,000 miles for first change and shorter after that. No toyo fluid is 2 years 24,000 miles...The stuff is liquid gold.

Can Toyota's Pink stuff be put in these cars (with red stuff) after a flushing?

If it's possible to reach the block plugs on that engine, that should prevent you from having left over water. Removing the thermostat and radiator hoses and using a leaf blower to force out any leftover water also works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back