ever heard of lgsourcing grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.
lowes apparently has their own brand of grease, called lgsourcing. their website, lgsourcing.com doesnt list anything but a contact number, which no one answers.

was wondering if anyone ever heard of a nlgi consistency grade #1-1/2. thats what this grease says. it says its a "lithium 12-hydroxy stearate". dont know what that means but the tube also says its got a droipping point of 350F/177C.
lowes had it on clearence for 47 cents per tube, i bought all they had. i am hoping this grease will be OK for low speed every day things like balljoints, tie rods, lawnmower wheel bearing, trailer ball grease, etc.
just typical stuff like that.

what do ya guys think?

""will be OK for low speed every day things like balljoints, tie rods, lawnmower wheel bearing, trailer ball grease, etc.""

Probably will be OK at the low price do not be stingy with it

It will be fine for what you listed.
I wouldn't buy so much that I couldn't get it used up in a reasonable period of time. Not always, but often, cheaper greases tend to see the base oil seperate from the soap fairly quick.
Store them cap side up, and check for raw oil on top every so often. Once oil starts puddling, I'd scrap it.
(I've seen cheap greases hold suspension for long times, and high-dollar grease seperate very fast [shrug])

Unlike oil, grease is something I do not like to stockpile.

Good find, btw.

thanks for the replys guys. i generally trust the advice you 2 give out because i see you as reputable people. ill go ahead and use it on the low speed and low stress things i have.

on an interesting note, one that you may find espically interesting jaybird. my father had a 5 gallon bucket of grease that he got in the early 60's when he worked unloading boxcars at a railroad in minnesota. the grease was used for train engines. i dont know exactly what for, and the label has long since peeled away, but this 5gallon bucket has been gradually used over the years and has not yet seperated! theres still about a quart of it in the bottom of the bucket. must be some good stuff. this bucket was inherited by me from my father and is what iver used for low speed things. since ive only got a quart left, and saw this lowes deal i figured i might as well stock up.
if the grease doesnt seperate as you guessed it might, maybe ill end up giving some yo my kids when im an old man. ha!

by the way, anyone know why some greases seperate and why dome dont? i had a single 2oz tube of valvoline red wheel bearing grease that seperated within a year of buying it.
yet this railroad grease is about 50 years old and hasnt seperated once in spite of storing it on a shed that gets to 130 degrees during the day.
redline grease also seperates quickly while its in its own tub.
castrol ultiplex and coastal pink grease does not.

""by the way, anyone know why some greases seperate and why dome dont?""

Depends on soap/thickener type Clay are good at non seperating also storage temp and the way the grease was made some are just better than others per batch. Grease is like making wine or beer a lot of "feel" or "magic" goes into this.
bruce

I agree with Bruce, its like baking a cake you can have all the same ingredients, but you have to have the know how to make a blue ribbon winner. Call it "feel" or "magic", I call it Quality with a purpose! I'm glad to have an association with the magic you talk about, TRC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back