trucks/bed height/why so high?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend and I both have Dodge diesels, his is lifted a bit for bigger regular tires, but I wanted to lower mine a bit. When we looked at what it would take we found that the height is set by the engine oil pan over the axle, so stock is as low as it can go. My son's 92 F150 4x2 is pretty low and yet still has decent clearance with the stock tires.

It's not just low profile tires around here, some also have spinner wheels. Sometimes I think I'm in an inner city ghetteo from the '60s, seeing all of the doo dads on the vehicles these days in suburbia.

I think it started with the Chevy Avalanche. Ford's new gen F150 (2004?) looked like it was trying to out do the Avalanche on bed height.

The first SuperDuty is a great looking truck, better than any other Ford truck since '96, and better than the current SuperDuty.

Dodge Ram version post 1994 is much better looking than "The Mayor" with it's pompous grille and too high stance. Only truck that really looked good sitting high was the old "High Boy" F250 4WDs of the late 50s through the 70s.

I'd have to agree. I have a 95 Ford Ranger and the bed is OK height, but the older models were lower.

Lower ride height is better = lower center of gravity = less tendancy to roll or have stuff fly out.

The new models to me are ridiculous. The Ranger is at least one of the few with a normal bed.

The new Chevrolet/GMC full size are now enormous and high bed height too. Plus, they aren't very nice looking either, unlike the previous models.

Even the Ranger is a bit high. It's almost as high as my dad's 86 F150 and the old 00 F150. Most of it is the 15's. Compared to a friends 97 my 06 is over a inch higher.

I bought a honda ridgeline. we'll see how it goes once the work season starts in march, but, for now, I am extremely satisfied with this car/truck/whatever it is. except for its looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back