Marine Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2 cylinder diesel sailboat inboard recommends 10W-40. Any specific synthetic I should consider for this baby? It is new to me by has almost 2000 hours on it and works like new.

Richard

My FIL distributes oil in the USVI. Texaco Ursa 40wt and 15w-40 are the most popular down there. I was on the crew team in college and we practiced near a lot of barges and tugs. Their docks always had LOTS of texaco products on them, so it is not just a local choice, apparently. Now I work at the Philadelphia Navy Yard (what is left of it), and the tugs in service here use texaco products as well. FWIW.

JMH

Originally Posted By: RFIRE
My 2 cylinder diesel sailboat inboard recommends 10W-40. Any specific synthetic I should consider for this baby? It is new to me by has almost 2000 hours on it and works like new.

Richard

What engine maker is it? I assume you won't be sailing in the dead of winter. Synthetic 15W-40 would be a good choice for reasonable temperatures down to 0°F or so.

AME 15W-40 linkie

Or diesel rated 10W-40

AMO 10W-40 linkie

Richard

Just 10w-40? No CF, CG, CH, CI4 etc.??

The motor is a 20 HP 3 cylinder diesel by Westerbeke. Their updated recommendation is for 10W-30 not 10W-40. My motor was built in 1987. It does now call for CG or better and does recommend but does not require a synthetic oil. It is very vague about the transmission fluid and the anti-freeze.

Richard

The motor is a 20 HP 3 cylinder diesel by Westerbeke. Their updated recommendation is for 10W-30 not 10W-40. My motor was built in 1987. It does now call for CG or better and does recommend but does not require a synthetic oil. It is very vague about the transmission fluid and the anti-freeze.

Richard

That does add another choice to my recomendations: Amsoil ACD 10W-30/SAE 30 In fact this would be my #1 choice.

Hi,
RFIRE -please provide the Model details for the engine and transmission

Your comments suggest for instance that the engine has a closed cooling system

This information will assist in making a correct suggestion for you to consider

Regards
Doug

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Wow, it is Doug..... Welcome back...

Ditto....Howdy Doug!

The engine will run wonderfully on Delo 400 30wt. Change every 100 hours. Or if you would like to run a synthetic oil use the ACD 30wt Amsoil. Change every 200 hours. Run a good diesel fuel conditioner also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back