2000 Hyundai Elantra 2.0L.....Maxlife ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister just got this car. The manual just specifies Hyundai brand ATF, but doesn't say Dexron or Mercon, so I'm wondering what these trannies take??

I am hoping MaxLife will work in this application, as it does have 105k miles and the maintenance history is sketchy at best....

They take SP III ATF. Dealer only to the best of my knowledge. I believe Max life does recommend use for SPIII applications though (check the bottle). I just put Amsoil ATF into my Dad's 2003 Elantra and all is good so far.

NO, NO, NO!!!!!! Using Dexron or Mercon in a Hyundai automatic transmission is a sure-fire way to toast the clutch pack. Then you'll be out a transmission. It's a terrible idea to use anything but SPIII fluid in these units. I'm active on Elantra boards, and people have posted horror stories of using the wrong type of fluid in the transmission.

You can use Mitsubishi-brand SPIII fluid. It's a few dollars cheaper and identical to Hyundai SPIII fluid.

Whew! thanks for the replies....using MaxLife would've been bad, then....

I'll look for some Mitsu fluid then. Thanks!

All right, I read the bottle, and it does say it meets SPIII spec.

What bugs me is the data sheet says "suitable" for SPIII, not "recommended" like it does for Dex/Merc. For my hard-earned money, I'd rather use the dedicated SPIII fluid rather than a Dex/Merc that is adapted to SPIII. Especially on a 2000 Hyundai Elantra automatic with 140+ TSB's out for that transmission. And, Hyundais are notorious for running poorly on non-OEM-spec parts and fluids. Fram did not list an oil filter for Hyunadai Elantra's for a year or so while they tweaked an existing one to better meet the Hyundai spec because the one previously listed had the bypass pressure set too high, and was starving the engine of oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back