Best oil for Dodge Ram 1500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 with 56,000 miles that appears to be in good condition. I am not sure if the owner used synthetic with this truck or not? What is the best oil for this 5.2L V8?

I was thinking about Rotella T 5w-40? What do you guys think or the non synthetic Rotella 15w-40. I live in Florida so temps dont go below 30F.

If it is a 1500 with a gas V8, the best oil is whatever the manufacturer recommended. In your case, the latest spec gasoline engine oil. Many people tend to use diesel oil in their gassers- personal preference I guess. But it is not spec oil for your truck. If I were to use one of the new HDEO's for a gasser I would probably run the new Rotella myself.

Given your area the 15w40 will more than likely work well.

I believe the recommended oil is 10w30.

If you pick a conventional 10w30 that truck will last a long time.

Recommended oil for Dodge gas engines is 5W30 in the trucks- 5W20 for those with MDS.

I had a 99 dodge with the same motor. Manual said 5w30. I ran 5w30 and 10w30 oil changes. No ill affects. Really couldn't tell a difference from either weight. North Texas winters are pretty mild as well. I would stay with one of them unless I had a consumption issue. Then, I may look at a thicker oil.

Really, I'm very surprised by that. Every thing I had seen said 10w30, but there is no harm in running 10w30 in that engine.

Granted this was from memory, but I hope my memory isn't failing at 22
LOL.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back