Major service for 2005 Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

This Camry probably has a drain plug on the transmission too, right? That would be a-piece-a-cake to change fluid if that's true.

This is what I'd do with all the money I'm saving by DIY:

4. Drain transmission fluid and refill.

7. Change PCV.

do i need to pull the pan for the A/T too? There are two magnets in there. 18 bolts to mess around with though.

what is the PCV?

All of the different auto parts sites that I've gone to make no mention of Type A or Type B /2AZ-FE; so I'd ignore that aspect for now.

At NGK's site I got IFR6T-11 for the factory replacement iridium plug.

PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) valve does pretty much what the term implies: it's a valve within a system that manages the crankcase at a positive pressure and administers gaseous fumes from the crankcase into the combustion process to be burned. The PCV valve is not something that fails after a specific period of time; it's just a part that's replaced as a preventative measure.

You don't need to pull the pan unless you intend on changing the filter; because on your Toyota, there's should be a drain plug for the trans fluid. But since there is a drain plug, it allows for draining the fluid before pan removal a much cleaner task.

Quote:

All of the different auto parts sites that I've gone to make no mention of Type A or Type B /2AZ-FE; so I'd ignore that aspect for now.

At NGK's site I got IFR6T-11 for the factory replacement iridium plug.

PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) valve does pretty much what the term implies: it's a valve within a system that manages the crankcase at a positive pressure and administers gaseous fumes from the crankcase into the combustion process to be burned. The PCV valve is not something that fails after a specific period of time; it's just a part that's replaced as a preventative measure.

You don't need to pull the pan unless you intend on changing the filter; because on your Toyota, there's should be a drain plug for the trans fluid. But since there is a drain plug, it allows for draining the fluid before pan removal a much cleaner task.

I did the oil and spark plugs this morning. what a way to spend the sunday morning (cursing...).

First the oil filter did not want to come off. some tarzan had fixed at at 30,000 km service.

i pulled the spark plugs. They are Denso K20R-U11, i.e. Type A!! Yesterday I bought the NGK Type A replacement.

Looking at how much they've worn they are DEFINATELY not long-life plugs. On all of them the gap is much wider than the 1.0 -1.1mm, plus, the tip has been eroded to a slant. There's a bit of soot on the ends of the plugs.

WHy does toyota say in the owner's manual that it is fitted with Iridium plugs???? I bet the Australian built camry's do not get the Iridium plugs but rather just the plain-jane ones, hence the 45,000km service interval. Someone never updated the owner;s manual though. If you tell me how, I can post a picture of the plugs.

Surprsingly, when I went for a test drive, the thing just took off with me! Felt very light and smooth and very responsive. It really made a difference, and no it's not just the placebo effect!

i had to glue my spark plug socket to the extension bar because once the park plug is in and you try pull your tool out, the socket was still stuck down the hole! I almost had cardiac arrest cos I though the socket was stuck down there. Had to glue it and pull it out like that - somehow the grommet in the spark plug socket is pretty tight and holds on better than the connection between the socket and extension bar. why did they have to seat the plugs so ---- deep in the engine block?

I might leave the auto fluid for 60,000km. next sunday I will drain and replaceme the PSF (using castorl Dexron III)

Quote:

The transmission plug is an allen-key type drain plug - more tools to buy.

Quote:

If you tell me how, I can post a picture of the plugs.

Nevermind I figured it out

Here is #2 plug - see the wear on the tip?
DSC04640.jpg

DSC04639.jpg

DSC04638.jpg

DSC04637.jpg

DSC04636.jpg

Here is a paper towel stain of the old oil. It was toyota 10W-30, used for 5,000km. / 3,125 miles.

DSC04630.jpg

Quote:

i had to glue my spark plug socket to the extension bar because once the park plug is in and you try pull your tool out, the socket was still stuck down the hole! I almost had cardiac arrest cos I though the socket was stuck down there. Had to glue it and pull it out like that - somehow the grommet in the spark plug socket is pretty tight and holds on better than the connection between the socket and extension bar.

There's an animal just for that purpose - it's called the "Locking Extension." It won't let go of the socket until you pull the spring loaded collar back; it works similar to an air hose fitting. They come in various lengths.
smile.gif

LockingExtension.jpg

Quote:

First the oil filter did not want to come off. some tarzan had fixed at at 30,000 km service.

There's an animal for that to - it's called the "Lisle 63600." As you turn it to the left with a 3/8 inch drive extension, the cam operated jaws close in with a crushing force.

Lisle Filter Wrench

Notice the two different sizes in the above link. Yours takes the smaller one I believe.
smile.gif

DSCN0621.jpg

DSCN0624.jpg

Quote:

WHy does toyota say in the owner's manual that it is fitted with Iridium plugs????

The plugs you pulled out are not Iridium; Iridium plugs have a fine wire center electrode like this:

NGKITR4A-15.jpg

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Quote:

There's an animal for that to - it's called the "Lisle 63600." As you turn it to the left with a 3/8 inch drive extension, the cam operated jaws close in with a crushing force.

Lisle Filter Wrench

Notice the two different sizes in the above link. Yours takes the smaller one I believe.
smile.gif

DSCN0621.jpg

DSCN0624.jpg

that's just what I need. Pity I can't buy from that website internationally though. guess my cup and rubber grip pad will have to do...

DON'T DO THAT!!!

There was a guy in the shop that had one of those; he had to use both hands to operate it; one hand for spreading the jaws apart and the other hand for holding it on the filter.

If you look at mine in the photo, you'll see that it's spring loaded. All you have to do is turn the tool to the right for installing it on the filter and then twist it back to the left and the cam operated jaws close in on the filter; all that is done with one hand. The tool is very easy to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back