Zerex G-05

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought some Zerex G-05 to strengthen my existing mixture in my Dodge Cummins. It was about -35, and I felt that is borderline for some of the temps we can see here. My question is related to the color. The stuff in my rad from factory was orangeish- almost pinkish red. The stuff I bought is almost a pale yellow. Did they just change the color? Or is it a different formula?

I don't own a Dodge, but as I remember, the Dodge G-05 was orange and the Zerex is a pale yellow, so yes I think they just changed the color. Every manufacturer seems to want his own color.

Each company has a different dye color (I think so there isn't any patent/copyright infringement). Think zerex has an additive dye which to my understanding changes or blends well with the coolant dye which it is added to.

The Valvoline (Zerex) site says the G-05's pale color is so that it can be added to any of the varying (and increasing) manufacturer colors and not change the origninal color. Other wise it's the same as the newer DC and FoMoCo coolants.

Interesting poking around some of the coolant maker sites... one even listed fuscia as a coolant color. Must've had a woman's input on that one.
pat2.gif

BTW-- I have 2 gallons of G-05 ($0.15/gal clearance buy at O'Reilly) that I need to use. Any recommendations on which vehicle I should put it in?

'95 Honda Accord
'97 Mitsu Galant
'99 Ford Windstar
'03 Saturn L200

Quote:

The Valvoline (Zerex) site says the G-05's pale color is so that it can be added to any of the varying (and increasing) manufacturer colors and not change the origninal color. Other wise it's the same as the newer DC and FoMoCo coolants.

Interesting poking around some of the coolant maker sites... one even listed fuscia as a coolant color. Must've had a woman's input on that one.
pat2.gif

Definitely...

Quote:

BTW-- I have 2 gallons of G-05 ($0.15/gal clearance buy at O'Reilly) that I need to use. Any recommendations on which vehicle I should put it in?

'95 Honda Accord
'97 Mitsu Galant
'99 Ford Windstar
'03 Saturn L200

With all the crazy coolants out there I would only run it if the manufacturer recommends it.

So, is G-05 good, or is there a better coolant out there (like those who switch to a different coolant from dex-cool?) Is there something better worth trying?

I believe, and many posters on Bitog have said, that G-05 is one of the best "universal" coolants you can buy. It seems to be the best of both worlds (old green and new colors).

I wouldn't be afraid to use it in just about any vehicle... after a proper flushing anyway.

Hi

The Cummings may have been using Mopar's "Long Life"..which is really G-O5 with some dye added.

Ford "Gold" is also G-O5 with yellow added.

I agree with the use of G-05 as a universal coolant. It works well in lots of modern aluminum automotive engines... but it also works well in diesels. John Deere reccomends G-05 for all their equipment- including diesels made 40+ years ago, brand new diesels up to 600hp, and everything in between. We're talking a full range of tractors & heavy equipment- some with brass radiators, some with aluminum radiators, some 100% iron engines, others with lots of aluminum components. Deere reccomends G-05 for them all. And in my experience (having been a deere mechanic for 4 years), if Mother Deere publishes something... then you can count on it.

Wagsg,
The G-05 would be fine for you windstar.
I am not sure exactly which year FORD switched over from green to gold, but Motorcraft GOLD is G-05.
If you have green in there now, the G-05 will not be "long life" if you don't get all the green coolant out.
Otherwise, it will be just fine.
So, if the coolant is green, flush as best you can.....then maybe change again in 2 years.
If the coolant is "gold"/yellow, then you already have G-05 and change as normal.

I have had G-05 in my originally green coolant '96 for several years.

My Windstar has green, but I've had it flushed/filled before (pre-BITOG) and didn't pay attention to the factory color. I'll check the manual to see what is recommended, but I think I'll flush the heck out of it and put in the G-05, regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back