Valvoline synthetic brake fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had some new brake pads installed on my 2000 Tundra and want to flush the brake fluid. I picked up some Valvoline synthetic fluid at AZ and wondered if anyone had any experience with it. I was just looking for DOT 3, but this product says it exceeds DOT 3 and 4 (boiling point I guess). Good choice? Also, how much of this stuff will I need (disc front/drum rear)?

The product is called Valvoline SYNPower Full Synthetic High Performance Brake Fluid. Exceeds DOT 3 & DOT 4, Compatible with conventional brake fluids.
Although it claims to be "ideal for hydraulic drum and disc brakes", I have reservations about it being completely compatible with my brake system that was designed and tested with DOT 3. Also, I don't want to use something that I might have to replace more frequently than DOT 3.

CONTAINS: Brake fluid (a complex mixture of glycol ethers polyglycols and inhibitors). 500degF dry boiling point.

Has anyone tried this yet in a DOT 3 application?

I have. My Scions call for DOT3 and I just flushed/bled/refilled xB #2 with SynPower about a month ago. No problems yet, and I don't expect to have any. I don't know about more frequent replacement, but I plan on the flush/refill/bleed every 2 years.

Ive used it in Chevies & Hondas with no issues, and plan to continue using it! Every 2yrs for me.

On my Chevy I did notice that it didn't get as dark and scummy looking as the OEM after a couple years.

It is one of the best OTC fluids -- I would go as far as saying it is the best. Good stuff and use it with confidence.

Yup, I read the same article before I bought mine. I chose not to worry because it's listed as DOT 3 & 4; not just DOT 4. You also have to consider that the article is about 3 years old too. Oh, and if it matters I put the SynPower in my 1969 VW Beetle too.

Just flushed the Taurus this past weekend with it. Sleep easy, my friend. It's good stuff.

There is no functional difference except BP and WBP minimums. That is, meeting DOT 4 means meeting 3&4.

All brake fluid is synthetic.
For street use, anything that meets the DOT spec would be OK.
Your Valvoline is a good fluid, but I don't think that you will see any difference from it and the cheapest generic brake fluid of the same spec.

I use it in my cars, and cars that belong to family members. It amazes me how clean it stays.

Sure, cheap DOT 3 is fine, but it isn't going to last as long.

I too have used Valvoline Synpower DOT 4 brake fluid for years. I really like the stuff.

Generally speaking, any DOT 4 should be changed more frequently that DOT 3. The formulation that increases the boiling point also makes it have a greater affinity for water. I change mine every year or two, but on other family cars using this fluid it still looks fine after as much as five years. I believe you should change brake fluid at least every three years on any car, no matter what fluid you use.

I've been using Valvoline synpower for years and had zero problems.I usually suck out the master cylinders once a year and refill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back