Decided to try Tufoil.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the hype as the "Guinness Book of World record for the slipperiest oil additive" sucked me in and decided to dump the whole 8oz bottle of Tufoil with 5 qts of PP 5w30.

So far I am impressed. I have a Lexus with 22k miles and the cabin is quiet to begin with but Tufoil has really had a smoothing effect of the engine and has quieted the slight lifter tick and valve train.

I am getting a combined 25mpg according to the on board display. The most I had been getting before Tufoil was 23.8.

Cant wait for the 5k oil change so i can get a UOA and see how Tufoil affected the engine. I am presuming a quieter valve train and smoother acceleration cant be a bad thing when it comes to wear but we'll see in a few months.

Deven

I'd like to see those results! Please post that UOA.
Now all you have to do is wait for people to post how silly you are to use that stuff, and how the engine is not quieter, and your mileage did not improve!

placebo.gif

wink.gif

Quote:

I'd like to see those results! Please post that UOA.
Now all you have to do is wait for people to post how silly you are to use that stuff, and how the engine is not quieter, and your mileage did not improve!

Lol...The placebo effect, well I let my father borrow my car last week and even he mentioned how much smoother the car felt so I am not alone but he has only driven my car maybe 5 or 6 times.

The mpg, I am not the one calculating it but the car's on board computer is and my driving habits/conditions havent changed a bit since using Tufoil. To be honest, I can care less about the increase because this stuff is expensive, about $12/bottle so in the end is more expensive. The thing i care about is its ability to cut the vibration in the engine.

I knew i am going to be flamed for this but I wanted to let people know about my experience. I will definately post a UOA in about 3k miles probably around January.

I think I know why. Dupont had a copyright on the Teflon name and all these people were coming out with these PTFE containing products and saying that their products contained Teflon. Dupont came out with some sort of statement that Teflon had no beneficial effect in a car or truck engine. I think they kind of implied they might sue also anybody misusing their copyrighted name Teflon. So people who put PTFE in products now say that their products contain PTFE rather than Teflon.

I tried Tufoil also. I had a used Toyota station wagon car that ran good but clattered a little on start on. The Tufoil seemed to stop the clatter. So I thought Tufoil worked. It never occurred to me that if I had put 20W50 oil in the engine (during warm weather) the clatter probably would have gone away with less cost.

Bingo. Teflon is a trade name and Dupont wouldn't allow its use since it was in no way proven that PTFE was of benefit. I trust Dupont more than I do the "geniuses" behind Tufoil and Slick50.

If Dupont though there was a ligitimate buck in it they would package PTFE's as a product to sell to additive makers but they do just the opposite. Is there a message here?

I support and agree with you Deven!
I have used Tufoil my self for over a year now in both my cars. I have the same experience as you, less engine noise, some reduction in fuel consumption. I also added Tufoil in the transmission oil (manual gearbox) on one of the cars that had a tricky gear shift (from 1 to 2 gear), now it feels like I have got a new gearbox!
Tufoil has been on the marked for about 25 years so I don’t think it is a “bad product”.
This is more that placebo, I will urge the sceptics to try Tufoil them self (it is not dangerous).
The PTFE/Teflon amount in Tufoil is also very small (1-5 weight%), it is more Molybdenum than PTFE/Teflon in Tufoil.

If it's moly, there are much cheaper ways to get moly into your motor than with tufoil...like...say...how about with motor oil?
wink.gif

If I had a beater and not a daily driver, I'd be tempted to try some of these "other" oil additives that come up on BITOG with positive commments. But for now I'll stick with ARX or none, as I don't want to fix my car 'till its broke.

It seemed like in the past there was always somebody coming out with some 'miracle' oil supplement to increase fuel mileage, reduce friction in an engine, even supposedly rebuild an engine while a person drove. I think some of these people maybe had the right idea-for example, there was at least one moly containing additive. But their chemistry was not up to the task.

I have a pretty small list of additives that I will use anymore. At the top of that list is Auto-RX. It really did seem to work for me and lots of other guys at this site have used Auto-RX with positive results. It was even tested. There is not a whole lot of other stuff that I will put into motor oil. I still have some faith in Lubegard products but I have not used any for quite a while.

A lot of modern motor oils already have moly and in chemical combinations that actually work. So why buy some addtive that has moly? If you want a lot of moly in your engine buy Redline motor oil.

I will grant you that the makers of Tufoil have never been fined by the FTC to the best of my knowledge. Maybe this means that their products work. Maybe it means they are too low on the radar screen to even get noticed. I have a gun video where Bill Wilson of Wilson Combat does mention Tufoil for guns. Maybe there is value in some Tufoil products. It would require expensive testing to find out.

Personally I don't like the idea of dumping PTFE into an engine. For that matter, I don't like the idea of dumping moly or graphite into an engine unless it is properly chemically formulated. As mentioned you can already get moly in regular motor oil. You can get a lot of moly in Redline motor oil. PTFE may be useful in some things like in grease and for guns, etc. But I don't want the stuff in my engine.

As can be seen from the MSDS, the primary ingredient is CAS #64741-88-4, or a group I oil. The second is VII (to make your oil thick and "quiet") and third is some PAO. So based on the % given we know that at LEAST 75% of the product is nothing that cannot be found in other motor oils.

The other items, one can debate their effectivness (and Bruce and Mola are about the only ones that would really have a clue), but I'd say you just ruined some good PP.

If you stopped usings Tufoil would the lifter tick return and your gas mileage drop to what it had been before?

I think the primary ingredient in Coca Cola is in fact water but we still buy it don’t we?
Does Cocoa Cola taste like water because of the primary ingredient?
smile.gif

Thanks for all the good comments and reply. I am only using tufoil for 1 oil change. I might use it next oil change too just to give it some continuity and see what kind of trending I get. Using tufoil for 2 oil changes probably wont kill the engine and reduce its longevity by much. This car is also a company car and they usually retire all the fleet cars by 100k miles so I am not really worried. This is purely an experiment for the BITOG crowd and something to add to the archives on the board.

Lastly, adding 8oz of Tufoil to 5qts of PP dilutes it a lot so I am not worried about it being 50% Grp I oil. I will admit that I am a Moly guy and seeing that a whole bottle had over 2000ppm of moly, closed the deal on me trying it. In 2-3 months we'll see what the results are.

Thanks for all the replies. Cheers.

Deven

A UOA needs comparison. Without a non-tufoil UOA before or after, data is meaningless, unless wear is totally excessive across the board.

Placebo effect? I guess that I'll save the above picture for EVERY product mentioned here, whether a sponsor or not.

BTW, Tufoil has the same effects in engines that I've thrown it in. Quiter, smoother, and better MPG is typical for it.

I will have a UOA in about 2 months from my wife's RX330. I decided to try Tufoil out and see if I could tell any difference. I have previous UOAs with Mobil 1 EP 5W30 and am now running Pennzoil Platinum 5W30, so it will be interesting to see what things look like.

Quote:

A UOA needs comparison. Without a non-tufoil UOA before or after, data is meaningless, unless wear is totally excessive across the board.

Placebo effect? I guess that I'll save the above picture for EVERY product mentioned here, whether a sponsor or not.

BTW, Tufoil has the same effects in engines that I've thrown it in. Quiter, smoother, and better MPG is typical for it.

I have 3 uoa's in the UOA section without tufoil. The first one was with M1 EP 5w30 and the other 2 were with Pennzoil 5w30 dino. This is the reason why I am anxious to get a uoa with PP and Tufoil...

Curtis, I'll be looking for your UOA since we both have the same exact engine. It'll be interesting to evaluate both our UOA's. I am actually willing to pay extra for Terry Dysons interpretations too. This way I dont leave any stones unturned. See what BITOG does to me......lol

Cheers,
Deven

Quote:

How quickly are you seeing these results with Tufoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back