2007 Honda Civic LX, Experience with Amsoil ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was about to perform the 3rd drain/fill with Amsoil ATF this afternoon when I came to the realization that I preferred the shift quality of Z1 ATF. Some of you will cringe, but I decided to convert back to Z1 and performed the 1st drain/fill accordingly. Read on if you want the details that drove me to this decision.

After reading a lot of threads here on BITOG, I decided to convert my new Civic LX over to Amsoil ATF. Honda is not known for robust automatic transmissions and I typically drive my cars until the wheels fall off. I was concerned about some of the UOA's posted for Amsoil ATF, but figured that the recent formula change had lined things out. I could not locate a shop with a flush machine that handled Amsoil products, so I decided to go with the 4x drain/fill process. My first drain/fill was performed when I had 2,050 miles on the vehicle. I drained 2.5 quarts of the factory fill and replaced it with Amsoil Universal ATF formula on September 20th. The drain plug magnet was coated with a fine layer of metallic sludge, leading me to believe that I had made the right decision in swapping over to a synthetic ATF. The shift quality was slightly more crisp, but all in all it felt better than Z1 alone on the low end. The Civic transmission down-shifts when the car coasts or stops. This is normal, but sometimes there is a noticeable hesitation between the time the accelerator pedal is pushed and actual gear engagement when straight Z1 is used. I noticed that this issue seemed to improved greatly after the 1st drain/fill with Amsoil ATF.

I was pleased with the results, so I decided to perform the 2nd drain and fill after driving ~50 miles. I don't drive very many miles to/from work, so the 2nd drain/fill took place on September 23rd. The drain plug magnet had a very slight layer of metallic sludge, but I wasn't expecting to see much after only 50 miles of driving. The shift quality seemed to get even more firm on the low end, almost to the point that I felt it was too firm. I was also able to notice the shift that takes place in the 37-40 mph range, which is something that never happened with straight Z1. I figured that the "Fuzzy Logic" would relearn shifting with the new mix of 65% Amsoil and 35% Z1, but it never really seemed to improve. I was in a state of denial and even bought some Lubegard Black, figuring that I could compensate for the increasingly annoying change in shift quality. Alarm bells should have sounded then, but they didn't. I drove for about 150 miles on this mix of Amsoil and Z1 waiting for an improvement that never came.

Still in denial, I was about to perform my 3rd drain/fill with Amsoil ATF this afternoon. I figured that the issue must be related to the residual Z1 in the system, but in retrospect that didn't make any sense. The vehicle had 2,237 miles on the odometer at the time I drove it up onto the ramps. I drained the ATF, which was still a pristine shade of red. I then inspected the drain plug magnet. To my surprise/shock, there was a fairly substantial layer of metallic sludge present. It was as much, if not more, than I had seen when I drained the factory fill during the 1st drain/fill with Amsoil. Alarm bells finally sounded and I decided that I did not want to roll the dice anymore with Amsoil ATF. I was not truly satisfied with shift quality and now I had reason to believe that wear had increased based on the drain plug magnet. I could have added Lubegard, but honestly why should I have to with a top shelf ATF like Amsoil? Also, I began to wonder if Honda would give me grief about using a non-Z1 ATF if I tried to obtain warranty work at some point in the future. If they did, would Amsoil stand behind me if they found out that I had added Lubegard to their ATF? All of these things weighed heavily on my mind.

I then realized that changing the ATF in my Civic is not a difficult task. Frequent drain/fills would provide adequate protection and peace of mind. For now, the best compromise it seemed was to revert back to a mix of 65% Z1 and 35% Amsoil ATF. I liked the shift quality with this mix, so perhaps that is the "Sweet Spot" for late model Civic transmissions. With the above in mind, I refilled the transmission with 2.5 quarts of Z1, which puts me at 63% Z1 and ~37% Amsoil. I will see how this works out and perform additional drain/fills with Z1 if I am not satisfied with shift quality. All of my drain/fills will most likely be performed using Z1 in the future.

I am not trying to slam Amsoil here. They make some of the finest lubricants available. There is just too much going on with the Honda transmissions these days and I am not willing to roll the dice. I have no issues with folks that have had a better experience with Amsoil ATF than I did. I just wanted to share my experience.

I am not a lubrication expert, I'm just a mechanical engineering student...

Amsoil, along with other companies market their fluid as multi-vehicle/universal. If such a fluid is engineered to be used in different trannys manufactured and designed by different companies, compromises must be made in the viscosity and chemical composition of the fluid so that it can be used in all applications.

Honda sets requirements for their design. Their suppliers must meet these requirements.

This is probably why you enjoy your transmission with the Z1.

This is not to say that Amsoil ATF doesn't protect as well if not better than the Z1. Amsoil might even sustain its viscosity over a longer period of time.

I'm glad you found the right ATF for your application.

Quote:

I drained the ATF, which was still a pristine shade of red. I then inspected the drain plug magnet. To my surprise/shock, there was a fairly substantial layer of metallic sludge present. It was as much, if not more, than I had seen when I drained the factory fill during the 1st drain/fill with Amsoil.

Don't be surprised at how dirty the magnetic drain plug gets. As long as you do frequent ATF changes you will be just fine. Both my parents have automatic Civics and I too am also surprised at just how dirty the plug gets.

i have done 4 times drain and refill with Amsoil ATF in my Acura TL and my tranny still very good afterall

the AT holds 8-9 qts of oil, so the sludge at the drain plug is normal

DO NOT FLUSH YOUR HONDA AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION, this is a no for the honda tranmissions and the manual says do not do that, just do a drain and refill

do not add any friction modifier into the Amsoil ATF, Amsoil ATF was the very first ATF to get an approved for honda transmissions

and for warrenty, as long as u have the right ATF (dexron III is ok too) they cannot deny it, that's against the law

mfisher,

I have followed your ATF threads with interest. I have done 2 d&f changes with Z-1. The way the transmisson shifts with Z-1 is supurb. The shifts in all gears are crisp and smooth. The times that I have demanded high RPM shifts they are fast and precise. Now I may have a good example of a Honda transmission, but I have never driven a better overall automatic. If 15K d&f changes do not keep the tranny together, someone else will get my money next time.

driving.gif

I believe that the Amsoil ATF is superior to Z1 in terms of its ability to maintain viscosity and resist oxidation. The main issue that caused me to rethink using it was the subtle, but annoying impact on shift quality in the low gear range. This is where Amsoil truly needs to do some tweaking. Perhaps instead of offering a Universal AFT, Amsoil should look into developing a couple of specialized product lines for the more popular OEM's, like Honda. They could focus on mirroring the qualities that make Z1 shift the way that it does. If this means adding extra friction modifiers then I for one would be willing to pay extra for a better fluid. The "One product fits almost all" applications approach seldom works, but Amsoil is fairly close to getting it right IMHO. I am sure that the Z1 is tweaked to provide the best balance between smooth shifts and wear. UOA's on Z1 look good, so I am inclined to believe that it is a robust fluid as long as it is changed out on 10,000 to 15,000 mile drain intervals. Due to the ease of changing ATF in my Civic I will probably opt for one year ATF drain/fills, which equates to about 6,000 miles of driving. With all the above being said, my experience with Amsoil ATF is only based on one vehicle and I would be irresponsible to imply that all Honda vehicles that use it will act the same way that mine did.

Quote:

UOA's on Z1 look good...

I'm not trying to downplay your technical ability as I don't know your ability (or lack thereof
smile.gif
), but good according to whom and compared to what? This is where Terry, or someone like him, can really help you. The typical BITOGer can't "read" UOAs properly. You will learn that after your first Dyson analysis.

Prior to switching over to Amsoil ATF, I found a couple of examples where the wear metals increased substantially after the conversion to Amsoil. Some felt that the Amsoil ATF was having a cleaning affect, but others expressed concern and suggested that the Z1 performed better. Amsoil recently changed their ATF formula, which put my mind at ease. I have no formal training in UOA analysis, but never claimed to be an expert in my original post either. My observations were based on the amount of material that was present on the drain plug magnet each time I performed a drain/fill. The amount of material present on the magnet at 2,050 miles was roughly equal to the amount of material present on the magnet after only 150 miles of driving with a 65% Amsoil and 35% Z1 mix. This can't be due to cleaning. How much can there be to clean on a transmission that only has ~2,220 miles? My observations and concerns should be viewed in the proper context and I do not claim to be an expert.

On a more positive note, the mix of 35% Amsoil and 65% Z1 appears to be the "Sweet Spot" for my transmission. The shifting and performance seem to be much better than straight Z1. Perhaps this information will be usefull to other Honda owners that want to give Amsoil a try.

There seems to be many opinions on this thread, but the main thing is we are changing our fluids. Which is never a bad thing, for longer tranny life.
driving.gif

You never mentioned a battery disconnect. I find it a must when switching fluid on ANY electronic transmission. Everyone should consider this after every flush or drain/refill.

There isn't enough UOA ATF comparisons with fluids. So, there is no positive/negative result to comparing Z1 to Amsoil. Sorry, no alarm bells are ringing here. Just because wear increases with time doe NOT mean it is the Amsoils fault. And, it could've also been worse with another fluid or the factory fill.

If you plan on regular reasonable ATF intervals, I do NOT see the need for the fancy boutique ATFs. OE or other equivalents found at the local stores are plenty good for ~7.5k or ~yearly intervals.

When using a universal/multivehicle ATF that mentions the spec you need, you should never use or need HFM products or fluid converters.

I seriously thought about disconnecting the battery, but must make it clear that I did not. The transmission returned to smooth operation, however, after performing one drain/fill with Z1 without disconnecting the battery. With that in mind, I feel that disconnecting the battery would not have helped. I did not use Lubegard, or any other ATF additive, so the Amsoil was not modified in any way. Perceived shift quality is subjective, but gear engagement from a stopped or coasting position was simply too firm for my taste. Anytime I hear a "clunk" sound as the transmission engages it is not a good thing. That sound is no longer present. As for UOA's, I think the jury is still out on wear protection. Again, I am not an expert and my findings are based on nothing more than visual inspection of the magnet on the drain plug. I do think that most people would find it odd to see ~2,000 miles of material accumulate on the plug magnet in ~150 miles. Is this conclusive proof that Amsoil ATF is not up to snuff, absolutely not! I do know that a mix of 65% Z1 and 35% Amsoil appears to be a good mix. With this in mind, I plan on using this combination for the next 6,000 to 8,000 miles. I will then send a sample off to BSL's for UOA analysis.

Let me make it perfectly clear that I am NOT attacking Amsoil. I like their products and realize that my observations do not conclusively prove, or disprove, anything.

First of all thanks for posting your experience. It was unclear to me if you had used the black or not, so thanks for clarifying that. I am not familiar with the fuzzy logic and algorithm of the Civic AT, so I cannot comment on the reset/reboot.

As for the harsher shift, you are now the third person to report this. IRRC it was at least on the smaller models, maybe all Civics. I believe your butt feel, for what it's worth.

As for wear and Fe particles. I can't say - I doubt it's gear tooth wear, but I bet it some kind of clutch pack clean-up. Honda may use a higher iron material. Not sure. For sure Honda has troubled history with AT's, not slamming Honda - I own one!

The ATF UOA's are simply not conclusive yet. Or rather no conclusion can be reached about the ATF. Is it the natural progression of the AT or the fluid? Cannot say.

My 2006 Odyssey has had 5X - 1 gallon plus drain and fills (so it's a goodly % Amsoil ATF) and each time it SEEMS there is less ferrous khrap on the magnet, (but there is always SOME). (Run the calculator!) And we have felt zero change in shifting.

However - I just reported your findings to Amsoil HQ, and we will see what comes of it.

On my 2001, I've had Amsoil in there for 90k now. I've changed it twice; every 50k I do the 3x drain and fill routine. The first time, the magnet was certainly covered in metal shavings. The second time, it was COMPLETELY clean even when wiping it with a white cloth. The shift quality hasn't changed one bit for better or worse. Perhaps the new generation of Civic transmissions is different.

Pablo,

I will be interested to hear Amsoil's opinion on this. The theory about clutch material accounting for what I observed on the drain plug magnet makes sense, but I know that we are just speculating. In the end we all want the same things, improved shift quality, longer fluid life and less wear. Amsoil has a vested interest in making sure that the products they sell meet these goals. Perhaps my experience will help Amsoil to tweak their ATF formula, or perhaps my experience is an anomaly. In either case, I felt that others here could learn and benefit from my situation. If Amsoil makes the best ATF for my application then I will buy it. For right now, a blend of 35% Amsoil to 65% Z1 appears to work extremely well. I guess a blend will have to do for now.

i recall someone mention about clutch materials in Honda AT are made with fibers, that is not oil soulable, but soulable in water. i am trying to find it. also there may be other magnet in the AT in Honda, if Amsoil is doing cleaning, where are those ferrous come from. i want to know the answer because i have 10 bottles of Amsoil and ready to change it on the TSX (when i found out where is the drain bolt and got time
grin.gif
)

I also wonder where the metallic sludge material originates from. Obviously it is not bearing material, nor is it from the transmission's housing. The only thing that I can think of is gear wear, but it would really surprise me if that amount of material was from the gear sets. I work in operations at a large oil refinery and have seen gearboxes the size of trucks that don't generate as much wear material as a Honda transmission does. Perhaps it is some clutch material, I honestly don't know. In my case, this material could not be resulting from "cleaning" since my Civic is new and has less than 2,400 miles on the odometer. Please keep in mind that this material was also present with Z1 fluid. I feel that the best approach is to wait and see if Pablo hears anything from Amsoil that he will be allowed to share with BITOG members. I am sure that this post is being looked at and discussed by the folks at Amsoil. If this thread helps them to improve the formulation of their ATF then that is a good thing IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back