Drag Racing with 10wt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drag oil

shocked.gif

Thinking out loud. They start the engine do a couple burn outs and run it for about 6 or 7 seconds. The oil never really gets warm. So 10w may sound thin but it's probably no thinner (at the strip) than a 30w is after 20 minutes on the highway?

I would think that it would matter b/c if the engine blows prior to the end of the track, you rebuild at the next track location not in the garage for another round at this track location.

Quote:

These motors are rebuilt so much it doesn't matter...every tenth of a second counts...

I'm not sure why so many people make the assumption that just because the engines are tore down or rebuilt every race or so that the protection can be sacrificed for more hp. Some of these engines push over 1,000 hp and need a lot of protection.

agreed.

pro stock motors are putting down probably 1200hp, if not 1300hp.

thats 2.4hp per ci, or for the metric folk 146hp per liter

I imagine that with 10 weight in an alcohal motor you would be changing the oil after every pass do to fuel loading. Alcohal motors don't get very hot at all, at least not hot enough to burn the 4:1 or so air fuel mixture out of the oil.

Originally Posted By: wileyE
Thinking out loud. They start the engine do a couple burn outs and run it for about 6 or 7 seconds. The oil never really gets warm. So 10w may sound thin but it's probably no thinner (at the strip) than a 30w is after 20 minutes on the highway?

All the dry sump racers that I know (I don't know many) have both coolant and oil pre-heaters on their engines. I don't know what the real advanced teams do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back