using a car oil filter for a motorcycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
i noticed that my car oil filter is the same size as my bike oil filter. can i use the car filter on my bike?

i'm specifically talking about the mobil 1 m1-110.

A car oil filter can be fine, but you need to select it with more than just that it looks about the same size. One way to do it is to find a cross reference, go to Fram's website and use their info to find the filter number you need for your bike, then you can cross reference that to any brand of filter you like.

Cycle oil filters are often priced much higher than the similar auto oil filters.
Many Honda cycles can use the Honda auto filter (Accord/Civic).
That's the one I'm most familiar with.
The bypass pressure should be close on any auto filter you try to use.
What cycle are we talking about?

Cant find the link where I got this but a guy did a study and like others have said, you can use car filters on bikes. I use purolator pure one PL14610 on my 2002 kawasaki ninja zx9r, which is about 1 1/4" longer than oem.

About 3.25 inches long.
• Purolator Pure One PL14610, about $6.
• Mobil 1 M1-110, about $10.
Made by Champion.
• Bosch 3323, about $6.
Made By Champion.
• WalMart SuperTech ST7317,
about $2. Made by Champion.

maybe almost an inch longer, i forget the actual length how much longer it is but it is a tad longer.

I plan to use the ST7317 for the next oil change on my Honda VLX 600. During the last oil change I tried the ST7317 on the bike & it fit, but used the last Honda filter I had. Using the longer ST7317 the filter removal tool that fits on the end of the filter and uses a 3/8" ratchet does not have enough room/clearance with the ST7317. The ST7317 is about 2.57" in diameter so I will try the channel lock style oil filter pliers sold at WalMart that will go down to 62MM (2.44") diameter for removal.

I use my Subaru-spec'd Wix filter on my Motorcycle. I've also used a Purolator. Lot's of people I know use Supertech car filters on their bikes. As long as the spec's are ok, it's fine.

Quote:

Lot's of people I know use Supertech car filters on their bikes. As long as the spec's are ok, it's fine.

where'd you find the specs on what filtration level your bike needs?
where'd you find the specs on how many lbs of pressure before the bypass opens?

Quote:

Wouldn't the car filters come up on a cross reference chart IF they were truly acceptable alternate filters for motorcycles?

That's exactly why I pointed him to the Fram website, they often recommend filters that are commonly available, and from the Fram number you can cross reference it to the brand of your choice.

As an example, Fram recommends a PH6607 for the GL1800, a lot of the guys are running the Super Tech ST6607, you can get them at WalMart for about $2.

Quote:

I have a CBR600RR sportbike. My car is an Acura RSX Type S.

The RSX uses an M1-110 oil filter. From what I've read, the M1-110's bypass psi is about 11-17psi, whereas the stock Honda bike filter has an 8 psi bypass valve. Yes, they're fairly close.

Looks like I can use this filter for my bike.

Quote:

Quote:

Lot's of people I know use Supertech car filters on their bikes. As long as the spec's are ok, it's fine.

where'd you find the specs on what filtration level your bike needs?
where'd you find the specs on how many lbs of pressure before the bypass opens?

You just find OEM or OEM equivalent filter numbers, and compare them to the filter you are considering. IF they are in the same range, I say they're close enough. Been doing this for over 35 years on bikes, NEVER had an oil-related problem on any bike I've owned. Then again, only one of my bikes had as much as 85,000 miles on it when I sold it. So, it's good for at least 85,000 miles in my experience. YMMV!

I used car oil filters on my Honda XLV750 - they were the same as Mazda filters.A good filter catalogue will have filters listed by dimension - thread size,can size,sealing ring dimensions etc.

Quote:

Cant find the link where I got this but a guy did a study and like others have said, you can use car filters on bikes. I use purolator pure one PL14610 on my 2002 kawasaki ninja zx9r, which is about 1 1/4" longer than oem.

About 3.25 inches long.
• Purolator Pure One PL14610, about $6.
• Mobil 1 M1-110, about $10.
Made by Champion.
• Bosch 3323, about $6.
Made By Champion.
• WalMart SuperTech ST7317,
about $2. Made by Champion.

The filters referenced above work great for my Triumph. As luck would have it, they also work on my wife's Acura.

Here's the mother of all motorcycle/car filter cross reference. Lots of interesting motorycle information on this site as well. Hope this helps someone..
cheers.gif

Motorcycle/Car Oil Filter X-Ref

Quote:

Quote:

I have a CBR600RR sportbike. My car is an Acura RSX Type S.

The RSX uses an M1-110 oil filter. From what I've read, the M1-110's bypass psi is about 11-17psi, whereas the stock Honda bike filter has an 8 psi bypass valve. Yes, they're fairly close.

Looks like I can use this filter for my bike.

My girlfriend has an 06 rsx type s, and the pure one filter is the 14610, same as i use on my zx9r

I use the Mobil m110 and Bosch 3323 on my Victory Hammer. My wife's Acura Rsx Base can use both, the m100 and 3323.

I had a HD Sportster/Roadster and Sears lawnmower that both used the stp 3614.

Very handy for logistics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back