Issues with Redline mt90 tranny change in tacoma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, i have a 97 Toyota Tacoma with the 2.7 and w59 5spd tranny. I just swapped out the transfer case and tranny to redline mt90 with the correct amounts in both. I don't know what the truck had in it before, but it didn't look bad. The truck has 92k miles and is in good shape. After the fluid change i notice my tranny is somewhat notchy going into second gear. It was a little before too, but now i think it's a little worse. It's gotten colder too, that might have something to do with the gear oil being thick while cold. Here's my main concern. The transmission now makes a whining sound if i accelerate in first and press in the clutch and coast. It sounds very similar to when you drive a car in reverse and some make that whining sound. I only notice it in first gear. Am i not getting good protection with this Redline fluid? I'd hate to waste my money and dump it, but if it's not doing a good job i'll do it. Can anyone comment on what might be going on? Thanks

Out of all the fluids I tried in my old dying 5 speed tranny (MT90,RP Max Gear,and OEM fill),MT90 was the worst.

Any idea who makes your 5 speed tranny?

Wait until it gets below freezing and double clutching will be the only way to smoothly shift as the oil warms up. MT-90 will start silky smooth when completely cold, then go through a nasty transition where double clutching is the only way to engage the next gear, to finally settle somewhere in between at operating temperatures.

It's like the FMs stop working at certain temperatures, or at least that's what I experienced in my FWD 5 speed Maxima. Problem solved when it started leaking...

Quote:

Wait until it gets below freezing and double clutching will be the only way to smoothly shift as the oil warms up. MT-90 will start silky smooth when completely cold, then go through a nasty transition where double clutching is the only way to engage the next gear, to finally settle somewhere in between at operating temperatures.

It's like the FMs stop working at certain temperatures, or at least that's what I experienced in my FWD 5 speed Maxima. Problem solved when it started leaking...

Deja vu! That`s exactly what it did in my car too! Why does that stuff do like that?????? When I tried Royal Purple,it blew RL out of the water. It definitely was always stable in performance. I`ve actually changed all of my fluids to Royal Purple.

Hey ccs v2.0,who makes the manual tranny in your Maxima? Any idea who makes the manual trannies in the Z32?

MT90 has worked perfectly in the dozens of various make vehicles that I've installed it in.

You should recheck your gear oil level cold on a flat surface. Incorrect level, usually low, is very common issue. I see it all the time.

BTW, if you require a GL5 90wt in the x-case, MT90 is the wrong fluid there. Use the 75w90.

I also find that if the previous fill was used a long time, then MT90 will clean up the tranny. So, the 2nd fill will perform better. Run it 10k and change it out again.

Yep,

Redline MT90 is doing a fine job in my Volvo gearbox. It is a very good MT fluid.

But i have noticed that gearoils for MT acts different.

It could be so in fact that undummy is mentioned that you should use a GL5 fluid..

You better find out if this is the case.

Question shouldnt be best to use NS75W90 if choosing Redline.

Thanks for the replies guys. Ok, so what would cause the tranny to whine while in first gear. I never noticed it before, but now it whines as though it's in reverse. It's especially noticeable if you press in the clutch while coasting in first. Also, i used mt90 in the transfer case too because of recomendations from a Tacoma offroad forum. I thought that redline mt90 is a 75w90 gear oil, so what will it hurt in the transfer x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back