BEST OIL FOR A 4.6 COBRA 2004 SUPERCHARGED COBRA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 2004 Cobra SVT Mustang with a 4.6 32 valve supercharged motor. The owners manual say to run 0-20wt! The engine runs pretty Hot with the A/C on and I wouldn't run 0-20 in my lawnmower! So what is a better choice of Syn oil to run? I now have M1 10-30wt. in it and being that it runs about 210 degrees and is putting out 488 hp to the rear wheels I feel something a little thicker and better is needed. I only drive it as a "Fun Car" and it redlines at 6,000 rpms, but what a RIDE!

If I were a 16 year old with this car I'd be in State Prison or in some jail as they'd never believe the power and speed I can get! I stopped at 150 mph and said never again!

So besides Motul what other OTC oil would you guys recommend? I use Purolater Pure One Filters and change every 3,000 miles. The Care only has 5,400 miles on it. I think this car will out live this 59 year old teenager!

I want to run a top rated Syn that is OTC

GLWBEAR
cool.gif

Guess I'd run 10w30 Redline, but you could run 5w20 Redline and should be fine. Redline 5w20 has the HTHS viscosity of a good 30 weight oil. Redline will take the heat like few other oils will and having no VIIs will not gunk up the engine. Also a lot of antiwear additive and friction modifying moly to free up horsepower.

The only way to know for sure if you need something thicker is to do a Used Oil Analysis. See what kind of wear metals you are getting with the oil you are using now.

Since I'm sure this is a good weather only car, you probably don't have to worry about running a 0-5wt for cold startup protection.

Check out www.dysonanalysis.com Hands down the best UOA around.

If you don't get the used oil tested for fuel dilution, you should run thicker oil. If you need off-the-shelf I guess Amsoil is out of the question.

Does the car have 5400 or 54,000 miles on it? If you're going to change oil every 3 months I would use Shell Rotella 15w or 5w-40. If every 2 years, Mobil Delvac1 5w-40.

For what it's worth, the 96 Cobra (same motor as your car) that I am building will make 1200-1400 HP and I'm using Rotella 10W-30.

T

0w30 Castrol GC Gold and Amsoil EAO filters, the Pure Ones filter out the smaller particles well below 20 micron but are too oil flow restrictive

the 0w30 for quick cold start drained down oil pressure rise even in your warm SC temps for rod bearing, cam lobes and turbo protection. the GC holds up well in turbos even without a cool down stage after a hard run.

Well:)
I'd look firstly at an oil that could handle a little fuel dilution. And rebound. The Amsoil 30 weights come to mind. 0-30/5-30 or 10-30's. I put down serious RWHP myself in the GTO....over 600 to the wheels and have excellent results with Pennzoil Platinum 10-30. This with 1.5 fuel dilution numbers. Royal Purple we were running just fell apart with the fuel...and sheared badly on us....the PP holds up strong. As you specified and OTC recommendation....I recommend the Pennzoil Platinum 30 weights....done very well in my 408 Stroker motor. Don't let me catch you at a stop light now.....I got lots and lots of Cobra Kills
smile.gif

Seriously though the PP or the above recommended Rotella are both very good choices for your ride man. Have fun!

Quote:

If you don't get the used oil tested for fuel dilution, you should run thicker oil. If you need off-the-shelf I guess Amsoil is out of the question.

Does the car have 5400 or 54,000 miles on it? If you're going to change oil every 3 months I would use Shell Rotella 15w or 5w-40. If every 2 years, Mobil Delvac1 5w-40.

I was reading on a turbo Mustang forum the other night and alot of people were swearing by 15W40 oils. There were alot of Royal Purple 15W40 users. By the way,AWESOME car!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try 20W-50 with lots of STP or Lucas Oil 'Stabilizer!'

That will prevent all of that wear shown in UOAs to be caused by running synthetic 0/5W-20s...
smile.gif

Last edited:
Seems the 20 wt oils work well in recommended applications. Can you run at w.o.t. long enough to get the oil to overheat? Does Ford require or recommend syn oil. Have you changed the trans or rear end oil ?

I was reading on a turbo Mustang forum the other night and alot of people were swearing by 15W40 oils. There were alot of Royal Purple 15W40 users. By the way,AWESOME car!!!!!!!!!!!!

Turbos are tough on oil .They add heat to oil and really foam up the returned oil. .Pull the return line off a turbo and take a look.

the GC holds up well in turbos even without a cool down stage after a hard run.

Turbos can run 1,300 degrees f .Are you saying GC will not coke at 700 or 800 degrees f?

Did I miss something? What's wrong with running the recommended oil. My understanding is that Ford did extensive testing in NV desert to confirm that the oil was effective under harsh environments. It's probably better than a 5W30 and something thicker may be delaying lubrication at startup causing problems. Some engineer went through a lot of trouble confirming that the recommended oil would work, I'd want to have a good reason not to use it especially while under warranty. What makes someone (including me) on the internet smarter than the manufacturer?

Quote:

For what it's worth, the 96 Cobra (same motor as your car) that I am building will make 1200-1400 HP and I'm using Rotella 10W-30.

T

why is that much horsepower needed!

Guys, keep in mind this engine is not stock by any means. He said he's putting out 488HP to the Rear Wheels. That means he is pushing around 550 at the crank. The '04 Cobras were rated at 380hp stock I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back