Delo 400 10w-30 or 5w-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking to change to one oil weight to stock for my generator, lawn mower, and snow thrower. They all run B&S motors ranging from 6.5hp-10.5hp. I have made the decision to go with a diesel grade oil and find Delo 400 specs favorable. I may go with Rotella T if I cannot get Delo 400. Which weight should I go with for the year-round uses: 10w-30 or 5w-40? Delo 400 10w-30 is not listed as synthetic but specs are close; Delo 400 5w-40 is synthetic.

Thanks.

I don't have any direct experience with Delo in those weights, but I've used the Shell Rotella T equivalents. I think the 10W-30 would be well-suited to those applications and that the 5W-40 would also be fine, just more expensive.

Thanks. I know it is not an easy question to answer. The operating conditions for two out of the three makes it difficult: heat of the lawn mower use in the summer and stress of the snow thrower digging into deep snow in the winter. The generator runs at a constant but the owners manual states that using 30w could damage the engine from starting in cold weather. That's the reason why I didn't add 30w to the list of choices.

Go with Rotella synthetic 5w40 for all of them. It will give you the cold flow characteristics and also the protection you need in the heat.

Quote:

Go with Rotella synthetic 5w40 for all of them. It will give you the cold flow characteristics and also the protection you need in the heat.

Very true. Check the specs. R-T 5w-40 flows cold better than most 5w-30's and should protect your small aircooled engines better than a 30wt once hot. It's the best of both worlds for this application IMO. The only 'problem' I have with Rotella-T 5w-40 is the only place I can get it in my area is Wal-Mart. None of my car parts places stock it for some reason. They stock lots of 15w-40 HDEO's but never the 5w-40. Then again, 0w-X can't be found and 5w-20 is just starting to be easy to source.
smirk.gif

Joel

Quote:

Why not Delo 30W?

I did initially consider straight 30w but after seeing the statement in the generator owners manual regarding damage at low temps, I started looking at alternatives that brought me to either 10w-30 or 5w-40. The last time I had a snow thrower and following the manufacturer SL rated 5w-30, when working in deep snow and putting a heavy load on the engine, I didn't think 5w-30 was providing enough protection - light blue smoking under load and when in deep snow almost stalling out.

Looking at the operating temp range and loads/demands placed on those air-cooled engines, I decided to go with a diesel rated oil. The generator manual recommends a gasoline rated 10w-30 in cooler temps, but a diesel rated 10w-30 should provide better protection across the temp range in the northeast. After reading many 5w-40 recommendations, I am interested how they compare for my three uses.

ProfPS, I agree on skipping the straight 30. So much more wear for engines at start-up than steady running ... and 30 is really bad in this regard (I too live in the Northeast).

I think Rotella T in 5W-40 would be a great, all-purpose OPE oil for you. I prefer the add packs I've seen in Delo400 ... but those change so often, it's hard to be sure of any advantage in a given bottle.

Quote:

I am looking to change to one oil weight to stock for my generator, lawn mower, and snow thrower. They all run B&S motors ranging from 6.5hp-10.5hp. I have made the decision to go with a diesel grade oil and find Delo 400 specs favorable. I may go with Rotella T if I cannot get Delo 400. Which weight should I go with for the year-round uses: 10w-30 or 5w-40? Delo 400 10w-30 is not listed as synthetic but specs are close; Delo 400 5w-40 is synthetic.

Thanks.

I don't know if you are located anywhere near the Canadian border, but if so - I would cross over and bring back some Esso XD3- OW30. I did so from here in Michigan.

It is diesel grade, PAO, and a near 40 wt. in viscosity. It worked well in my Toro mower and 15kw standby home generators, both air cooled Briggs engines. My generator has run for 24 -36 continuous hours in both 10F and 90F weather during power outages. I also used it in a 2 wheeled Gravely snowblower with a Kohler engine. As they say, things were "piece of cake".

There is a Esso XD-3 0W40 version as well. If you can't get Esso XD-3, Rotella 5W40 would be my second choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back