Head gasket blown in 3800 series II motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say the upper manifold failed big time if there was actually smoke/steam coming out the exhaust. The gasket failure will dump coolant into the lifter valley.

wow Merkava, you have been a wealth of information. Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it.

Did you find the coolant elbows?

Upper Elbow
DSCN1087.jpg

Lower Elbow
DSCN1084.jpg

[AllData Link] > [Engine] > [Drive Belt Tensioner]

The elbows are always replaced at the time of LIM gasket replacement as standard procedure. They are plastic and usually only last 10 years anyway.

Is silicon grease the only thing you recommend for the o-rings on the coolant elbows?

Quote:

As I was driving home from advanced auto parts today the head gasket blew out on my 96 Pontiac Bonneville. I'm 90% sure it was that due to the smoke out of the exhaust plus the smell right before it blew. I was at AA to get a code checked out, it was "multiple cylinder misfire" if I remember correctly, which would probably make sense. Now to put this into perspective I'm a 17 year old that lives by himself with a good selection of tools, I'm pretty mechanically inclined but I don't have a lot of money and I know getting it repaired won't be cheap. So I would like to know how hard it is to replace the head gasket on these motors. Thanks.

My neighbor just had the same problem last weekend on his LeSabre (1997 with 3800 series motor). They were headed dowtown when the car bogged down, he pulled it into a dry cleaner and could smell coolant.

We later went down to take a look and found:

1)The coolant was completely gone (he had checked it last weekend and it was full).
2)A CEL showing a cylinder misfire.
3)The engine could not be rotated (seized).

From what we can tell, a massive crack or gasket failure flooded the engine with coolant and seized the engine. Very rare on these cars. Good luck with your fix!

Quote:

Is silicon grease the only thing you recommend for the o-rings on the coolant elbows?

Are you having trouble finding it? It should be readily available at auto parts stores under the name of ''Permatex dielectric tune-up grease.''

The purpose of the silicone grease is twofold:

1. Allows for the smooth installation of the elbows by eliminating the possibility of the o-rings getting pinched.

2. Keeps the o-rings from drying out; which prolongs their resiliency.

Silicone grease for o-rings is preferred over petroleum grease because it's safe for the o-ring's compound. Petroleum grease increases the risk of incompatibility issues with o-ring compounds.

Got her running and purring like a kitten! Thanks for all your help. The only thing where I effed up was that I broke the coolant temp sensor. But that will be a quick and easy fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back