Zombie Dishwasher keeps on running all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whirlpool Gold (almost 15 years); I unloaded the dishwasher and as soon as I closed the door, it stated running again! Hit the cancel/drain and it drained, stopped and then started running again on its own. Did it couple more time before I opened it after draining, went in the basement and killed the circuit breaker. I was hoping that will reset its brain but it restarted again.

I have never heard of this type of fault. This has old style soft touch operating panel and does not look like any button is stuck. I can't think of any sensor which would cause this behavior either.

Any help?

short on the board, or junk under the membrane that causes the sensation in the electronics of a connection?

If you shop for deals you can find quite nice models in the 250-350$ range

sears has a 650$ kenmore right now for 300$

and of course you can get extra off with various methods.

6% clickthrough at fatwallet.com
sears giftcards for free gas from giant eagle,

shop discover with discover card for 5-10% cashback

do you want top or front controls?

I like the idea of not latching the dishwasher; unfortunately, a slight bump and it will latch itself.

Front membrane touch panel (micro-switches underneath??) ; looked up over internet and that panel costs $276 :-( I do not believe there is any way to get to the switches itself as they are fully enclosed. Looks like a new dishwasher is going to be holiday present :)

Probably the temperature sensor...

Detects the temp of the water in the dishwasher...

Turn off heated wash and rinse cycles...
See if it will stop in an hour...

Part is around $25, but putting it in is a PITA, usually I pull the dishwasher out, turn it over or on it's side, replace, then reinstall...

Last edited:
I meant it had completed the entire wash cycle and then just kept on going back to the start of the start cycle. I have figured out how to prevent the door from closing completely; so I am just going to keep that contraption in and take it out when I want the dishwasher to run. It has magnets in the back, so I usually use it to indicate to the rest of the household (or to myself) that the dishwasher is clean. That one jams very nicely in the closing mechanism preventing the door from completely closing.

A solution worthy of BITOG, especially on a US made 15 yeard dishwasher!

Originally Posted By: Quest
mechanical rotational timer type switch? or electronic (buttton style)?

Answer this question and you may be led to a quick solution. If it's rotational I wold suspect the timer. Buying one used is the cheapest way to go. If it's electronic, the diagnosis may be more challenging.

Fifteen years is a pretty good run, though.

My dryer gas refused to light once. The timer worked and after taking it all apart I found a female spade connector was not making good enough contact on some secondary component. All I had to do is crimp it a bit.

If the timer is mechanical I have often found that a good dousing with electronics parts cleaner can work wonders. Not a big risk to try it. Use a couple of rags or paper towels to catch the overspray and just clean it in place. Then, rotate the thing manually through several revolutions.

If you have push buttons, there are still areas that can be cleaned. I have found this procedure to work about half the time.

I am referring to the aerosol product, BTW.

Electronic control panel (as I said before:- membrane touch panel on the front); It has solid state controller board. Either of these parts at RepairClinic would buy me at least 1/2 or more of the new dishwasher.

00913294.jpg

Not in stock, can be ordered for $247.64 and will be delivered in 3 weeks if ordered today.

I apologize. I missed that. After fifteen years I would just replace the thing. My Whirlpool model is of the same vintage, but with mechanical controls. It's actually excellent at cleaning dishes even though it was relatively cheap.

I did fix a dishwasher in the past with used parts. I got an entire door for about $50. It was a lot easier to replace than the timer. I think that would be worth pursuing as an alternative in your case.

Because I have no energy left after I pull the water from the well by buckets and wash the clothes on the big rock in the backyard :)

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Because I have no energy left after I pull the water from the well by buckets and wash the clothes on the big rock in the backyard :)

Great response!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back