ZF Lifeguard 8,VW Amarok, 8HP45 transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
2014 VW Amarok, 225K kms. Ute has done a fair bit of towing, glad I changed the oil!

It's supposed to be "lifetime fill" but this is most certainly not the case in this application. Trans holds 9L of oil but only 5 came out, (rest is in the torque converter) so I'm considering changing it again to further dilute the contaminants that are left.

Amaroks use an alloy pan and separate filter (which I haven't changed) but after this report I think I'll drop the pan. Thoughts?

[Linked Image]

There is a Youtube video that has been posted here where two ZF engineers are discussing fluid changed intervals in this transmission. They state passionately to never under any circumstances run the fluid for more than 60,000 miles.

I always laugh when I hear the term "lifetime fluid" smart move changing it! Yes, I would do the pan drop too. I have no clue why they made the filter part of the pan, either way I'd be changing it if I were you.

OP: ZF recommends a pan drop approx every 100,000 KM or 8 yrs for vehicles under severe service (ex, towing, high speed driving) otherwise the fill is lifetime. Your application obviously qualifies for severe service and you went over twice the mileage before having an oil change performed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
OP: ZF recommends a pan drop approx every 100,000 KM or 8 yrs for vehicles under severe service (ex, towing, high speed driving) otherwise the fill is lifetime. Your application obviously qualifies for severe service and you went over twice the mileage before having an oil change performed.

Correct, ZF put in documents they recommend fluid change at 60,000 miles (100,000 km) or after the manufacture warranty has expired.

Have a ZF 8HP70 in my Jeep Grand Cherokee, similar to the OP's ZF, changed the fluid at 90k miles(144k km) with Valvoline Maxlife, drain and fill, have to follow the steps in the checking the level. Maxlife fluid has 'Lifeguard 8' fluid on the list of compatible fluids.

Valvoline Information sheet:
https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publ...bd3/3fa3136a-09bd-e711-9c12-ac162d889bd1

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Fraser434
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

Correct, ZF put in documents they recommend fluid change at 60,000 miles (100,000 km) or after the manufacture warranty has expired.

Have a ZF 8HP70 in my Jeep Grand Cherokee, similar to the OP's ZF, changed the fluid at 90k miles(144k km) with Valvoline Maxlife, drain and fill, have to follow the steps in the checking the level. Maxlife fluid has 'Lifeguard 8' fluid on the list of compatible fluids.

Valvoline Information sheet:
https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publ...bd3/3fa3136a-09bd-e711-9c12-ac162d889bd1

Ya. I changed the ATF on my 8HP (BMW 435i) at 55k miles but used ZF LG8 because I'm somewhat OC.

Flush and filter twice, every 40.000 miles. Bmw 750, ZF 8hp70. First time i used lifeguard 8, this time i used Ravenol 8HP.
Here is what FCP Euro write about ZF in Bmw`s:

"Here at FCP Euro, we have an extremely close relationship with ZF, who is the supplier of 6HP and 8HP transmissions to BMW. BMW rates these transmissions for a "lifetime fill," however, through our channels at ZF and speaking with the engineers of those transmissions, we've learned that the transmissions are tested to 100,000 miles with an "acceptable rate of failure" on the original fill. 100,000 miles is BMW's definition of what a "lifetime fill" and that's passed the extended warranty and "good-will" repair limit, meaning a failure after that is no longer BMW's responsibility. In the case of the 6HP/8HP, ZF actually has a published service interval for those transmissions which completely contradicts BMW's service information with an interval of 8 years/80,000km (~50,000 miles). This information supersedes BMW's "lifetime fill" rating"

https://blog.fcpeuro.com/bmw-lifetime-transmission-fluid-isnt-lifetime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back